Topping A30Pro
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #32 of 69
I've just received my A30 Pro / D30 Pro / XLR Cable stack a couple days back.....ordered online from Shenzhen Audio. Shipped via DHL and arrived here in New Zealand in less than 10 Days. Seemed to have slipped through without any customs duties or applicable Taxes. Saved over $700 buying online out of China rather than here in NZ!!

Very well packed, secure with lots of bubble wrap!

I've only spent around 90 mins with the new gear....trying my headphones and swapping out a few cables and what not.

Small footprint, easy to set up and work through the settings on the DAC (if you follow the printed instructions)

One day I'll have the knowledge, experience and confidence to comment on how it sounds compared to my other Kit, but right now, that ain't gonna happen.....

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #33 of 69
I little opinion on this A30pro with the Earmen Tr-Amp, Oh yeah, such a great combo with the Z7, with the OPPO PM3 is good too and with the Hifiman Xs too, but I like much more the Z7, I'm finding myself to just enjoying music than analising, but this combo helps Z7 becoming more audiophile than 'only musical' great. What I don't like is soundstage feels like narrower, maybe to match with the DAC d30pro? And I feel sometimes slightly, almost nothing, more vol on right side, talking about the topping amp, someone can confirm or disagree?
16544865073311926529486002848643.jpg

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #34 of 69
Actually i use the Smsl Sh9. I am interested in the A30 Pro because of the power. Would you upgrade? The only problem is the A30Pro doesn't have a remote. Is it a disadvantage to change the volume with the DAC or is it always better to go with the full power of the DAC in the headphone amp or is there no difference between changing the volume on the DAC or headphone amp?

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #37 of 69
Am I correct in assuming that since it's not a real balanced amp and power output doesn't change much depending on whether it's XLR "balanced" or TRS SE output (as per the Audioscience graphs, I'm just about to watch the vid), that power output also won't be affected by whether I use "balanced" or SE signal input into this amp?

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #38 of 69
Am I correct in assuming that since it's not a real balanced amp and power output doesn't change much depending on whether it's XLR "balanced" or TRS SE output (as per the Audioscience graphs, I'm just about to watch the vid), that power output also won't be affected by whether I use "balanced" or SE signal input into this amp?
Right on the first part, wrong on the second. Power output is considerably higher with Balanced In, and the higher the better. It will only reach its specified Power figures with an incoming signal of about 5V. Despite not being truly Balanced, it is obviously designed to achieved its full potential with a strong Balanced signal....

Nov 4, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #39 of 69
Right on the first part, wrong on the second. Power output is considerably higher with Balanced In, and the higher the better. It will only reach its specified Power figures with an incoming signal of about 5V. Despite not being truly Balanced, it is obviously designed to achieved its full potential with a strong Balanced signal....

Nuts. Any idea how much power it spits out at 300ohms using a 2V SE input? I don't really need all 840mW, but I just want to make sure it's not like I'll get less than half that.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 69
Nuts. Any idea how much power it spits out at 300ohms using a 2V SE input? I don't really need all 840mW, but I just want to make sure it's not like I'll get less than half that.
I have no means of measuring it, but based on personal experience, with plenty of vintage High Impedance headphones, it is clear to me that these are underpowered via the RCA In, even with 300 Ohm. A minimum of 4V input is in my view mandatory for this...

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #41 of 69
I have no means of measuring it, but based on personal experience, with plenty of vintage High Impedance headphones, it is clear to me that these are underpowered via the RCA In, even with 300 Ohm. A minimum of 4V input is in my view mandatory for this...
According to Topping, the input sensitivity (in high gain) is 2.7 Vrms both balanced and SE inputs.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #42 of 69

Thanks. Now I have to ponder if it running in Class A with 250ohm or higher loads is worth getting the A30 Pro plus a matching A30 for my other desk is worth it or if I should just get an HE400se which at least will work just fine with the cheaper NFCA amps. On the upside, that means a smaller amp at the other desk, plus I also get a second headphone for less money total, so it's sort of a back up in case my main headphone needs to have parts like the drivers replaced.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #44 of 69
Does that mean the power output is the same, not just the gain?
If I am not mistaken, it means that at either input a 2.7 Vrms signal produces the specified maximum power at maximum volume. If we take into account that the line outputs have the usual maximum values of 2 Vrms for the SE and 4 Vrms for the balanced, you probably won't get the maximum power with an SE connection, but it all depends on the DAC specifications.

Nov 4, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #45 of 69
If I am not mistaken, it means that at either input a 2.7 Vrms signal produces the specified maximum power at maximum volume. If we take into account that the line outputs have the usual maximum values of 2 Vrms for the SE and 4 Vrms for the balanced, you probably won't get the maximum power with an SE connection, but it all depends on the DAC specifications.

OK so I give it a 2V SE signal, I won't get the full 840mW, but is there any official or just ballpark figure how much I would actually get?

Like...is it safe to assume I'd get around 2/3 of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back