Topping A30Pro
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #61 of 69
A30pro had a review they changed the button to a longer one.

1700043253795.png

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #62 of 69
I dismantled the A90 which uses the same slippery short button, I don't think you paid attention to that, I disassembled the Fiio k7 which has a short button that is securely attached in the same way, as well as several others that also have the same short button system which is difficult to get hold of .
My knowledge and experiences go far beyond what you imagine, it's been years of opening devices for knowledge, painting and customization.

Removing the button has always been easy, just wrap it in 3 turns of 3M tape and leave a gap in the tape to serve as a corner and with this tape pull the button little by little and it comes out without damaging anything, not even the paint, as the screw internal in the middle is screwed to the amp housing, you can see for yourself in the photos of the A90 how the button is attached and we know how topping always uses parts and pieces between devices.

Finishing many of the dac amps, it is not enough to just remove screws, because they often have a precision fit and make everything stay in place even when removing the screw, you need to know where to pull, my experience gives me confidence, disassembling the a30pro is easy, but I'm not going to rush with this just to prove something, it will be done in my time.
I'm a DIY hobbyist, I do a lot of customization work on DACs and amps with changing the volume buttons, so I always disassemble them.

I don't have the a30pro here, but from my experience with the A90 I think the A90 serves as a guide for you to be able to disassemble your A30pro yourself, apparently it would be by sliding the PCB back after removing the screw behind the volume button and some in the rear, I'll only know for sure if I get my hands on an A30, but if you have one then it'll be easier.
You are probably right, the knob looks similar and probably as hard to remove.

I tried using some electric tape as well, but still was unable to remove it, so I gave up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #64 of 69
Personally, id suggest looking at something else (specifically, jot2 for the same money). I found the topping to sound very clinical, it seemed to kill a lot of resonance that you find with string instruments or piano, and the highs were pretty harsh and in your face.
It is pretty resolving and has great power for the money! But, the way it presents music is just not very enjoyable, at least to me. Unless you get your enjoyment out of finding every detail in your music at the cost of overall enjoyment... i think youd be a lot happyer with jot2 since i found it to be a much more musical amp!

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #65 of 69
Personally, id suggest looking at something else (specifically, jot2 for the same money). I found the topping to sound very clinical, it seemed to kill a lot of resonance that you find with string instruments or piano, and the highs were pretty harsh and in your face.
It is pretty resolving and has great power for the money! But, the way it presents music is just not very enjoyable, at least to me. Unless you get your enjoyment out of finding every detail in your music at the cost of overall enjoyment... i think youd be a lot happyer with jot2 since i found it to be a much more musical amp!
I think it depends on what headphones/DAC you pair with it. With my Audeze LCD-4 phones I've never found it harsh, but rather, clean and clear with plenty of power to drive anything I can throw at it. By the way, I have heard the Jotumheim 2 and thought it was a lovely amp, also clean and clear, but with a slightly different flavor.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #66 of 69
I think it depends on what headphones/DAC you pair with it. With my Audeze LCD-4 phones I've never found it harsh, but rather, clean and clear with plenty of power to drive anything I can throw at it. By the way, I have heard the Jotumheim 2 and thought it was a lovely amp, also clean and clear, but with a slightly different flavor.
ill admit, jot2 is a much more colored amp that goes well with my preffs. It could be down to the specific pairing. with the natural warm and lush sound, maybe topping does sound pretty solid. Hifiman generally tend to want a warmer chain, and with a more neutral and in your face topping-style presentation, it all gets a bit to much for me :p

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #67 of 69
ill admit, jot2 is a much more colored amp that goes well with my preffs. It could be down to the specific pairing. with the natural warm and lush sound, maybe topping does sound pretty solid. Hifiman generally tend to want a warmer chain, and with a more neutral and in your face topping-style presentation, it all gets a bit to much for me :p
Well, now that you mention it, I did try several different Hifiman headphones, which I did thoroughly enjoy, but seemed a bit bright on the Topping. They sounded much better through my Denon receiver, while the Audeze LCD-4 seems a bit warm through the Denon, but just about perfect through the Topping.

I think that's part of the fun of this hobby, in trying various combinations of gear to find that magic setup that works for us, and of course what works for us might not work for somebody else, as we all have different expectations and different ears. Mainly, just different flavors of good : )

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #68 of 69
Late to the party here.
But this is an end game amp.

I bought this based on reviews, not expecting much, this little thing is incredible.....its better than the A90 Imo, it has more soul.
This is Toppings unicorn product, it shouldn't exist at this price range.
Grab it while you can as they have stopped manufacturing it.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #69 of 69
Late to the party here.
But this is an end game amp.

I bought this based on reviews, not expecting much, this little thing is incredible.....its better than the A90 Imo, it has more soul.
This is Toppings unicorn product, it shouldn't exist at this price range.
Grab it while you can as they have stopped manufacturing it.
I have to agree. I've always been surprised that the A30Pro hasn't gotten more appreciation, because I've found it does it's job perfectly, amplifying with zero noise or artifacts. Heck, it drives my Audeze LCD-4 phones wonderfully, and that's on the 0 gain setting. And at it's current price it's a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back