Topkit
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bubbacritz

Head-Fier
So i got my ibasso D12 o the mail a couple days ago but i was wondering what does the clear box with the micro chip looking things do? (i think it's called a topkit)

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 13
It is not a Topkit, it is the factory rolling kit.   The various enclosed opamps can be used to change the SQ of the D12 to suit your equipment or listening preferences.  The Topkit is made by a Head-Fi member as an upgrade to the factory supplied opamps.   Please read carefully the instructions for "rolling" the opamps before attempting to make changes to the stock configuration. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
...The Topkit is made by a Head-Fi member as an upgrade to the factory supplied opamps...

Haha~

@Bubbacritz, more specifically, the Topkit is assembled by HiFlight himself
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 13
haha alright. What exactly does the rolling kit do to the amp, like what exactly does it change?

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 13
From what I read, different opamps changes the sound signature of the amp. So you can roll amps and find the best sound that suits your taste.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
From what I read, different opamps changes the sound signature of the amp. So you can roll amps and find the best sound that suits your taste.

That's right, rolling in different OpAmp and Buffer chip combinations can significantly change (or improve) the sound over the stock configuration in a Amp.

HiFlight is well known by his TopKit for the iBasso D10 (and I believe now, for the D12).  He has had a lot of experience with rolling chips to find a great sound.  If you need advice, his is top of the line (I would say top kit, but that would be too much 
tongue.gif
).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
It is not a Topkit, it is the factory rolling kit.   The various enclosed opamps can be used to change the SQ of the D12 to suit your equipment or listening preferences.  The Topkit is made by a Head-Fi member as an upgrade to the factory supplied opamps.   Please read carefully the instructions for "rolling" the opamps before attempting to make changes to the stock configuration. 

Hi Ron,

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I hadn't even considered a Topkit for my D4 - another HFier claims that he has had very good results with his D4 and I found a post from Larry confirming that changing opamps improves the D4 - I guess I wont know until I do it. Is there a link to a page where I can find pricing etc or is it strictly on a special order basis ? I am assuming that a dufus like myself can install the Topkit.

Tks,

estreeter

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 13
For the benefit of other members, Ron has PM'd me with the details I need and I am very grateful.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 13
There is no website, and they really arent that exciting to look at unless you are particularly attracted to opamps (think small, square chunks of silicon). The magic is invisible, unfortunately, and you need to PM Topflight to hook you up with said magic.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 13
what he incorrectly mentioned as the Head-Fi'er's handle is actually HiFlight not TOPFLIGHT, and he's a great guy to communicate with and I know from having one of the Topkits for the D10 that the Topkits he makes really do improve on the stock sound signature of the iBasso amps. Go ahead and PM him he does NOT bite. ;-D

In fact he'll probably tell you quite a few fun facts about rolling opamps.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 13
No no, it's HiFlight (the member) and Topkit is the product he makes. It took some searching and digging, but I finally got there. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I cannot seem to locate this said TOPFLIGHT, Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back