Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #526 of 562
Is the chart in the OP still accurate in that you need to get 2 sets of transformers? I'm currently confused as to how you're supposed to connect your system with computer/dac/amp. There's a lot of stuff said in the thread but none are summarized into one recommendation after being discussed so far.

I just have a computer/Schiit Bifrost 2/and THX 887 amp. The Bifrost 2's Unison USB claims to have electrostatic+electromagnetic isolation so I'm not sure if I need to move the PC off the Topaz or not. I see a lot of Topazs coming with two receptacles. Do you need to put every component on a strip off of 1 receptacle or can you mix and match?

(Edited for question clarifying)

DACs and PCs are known to generate "backwash" noise, polluting the power going into anything else that's plugged into the same outlet or power strip.

You've got three devices, so you will need a small, simple power strip, with a short power cord, no surge protection or pilot lights or fuses, into which you would plug your THX 887 amp, directly (i.e. Uninex PS28E).

Optionally
, go ahead and plug the Bifrost DAC and your computer - both of which might be generating backwash noise - into that same power strip shared with the THX amp. Now plug the power strip into the Topaz grounded-neutral secondary isolation transformer (rated to handle at least twice as many vA (Watts) as that consumed by all three devices when running).

Ideally, to ensure that neither your DAC or your computer can pollute the power coming into your THX 887 amp, you should purchase two more isolation transformers that will sit between the power strip and those two devices. These two isolation transformers should have a grounded faraday shield and a floating-neutral secondary (i.e. two B&K Precision 1604A).

Mike

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #527 of 562
Anyone know how this would compete with Topaz isolation transformers?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001285233703.html
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000176601682.html

Price is much cheaper & is much more recent than used Topaz.
What should the input & output selection be for North America? Both 110v?
It's highly unlikely that those isolation transformers have the extremely low interwinding capacitance (0.0006 pF) of the Topaz -31 or -32 model series.

In other words, they can't compete. They would only be able to attenuate common-mode and normal-mode noise below 400 Hz, typically.

The Topaz -31 and -32 series transformers can attenuate commond-mode noise by 146dB, all the way up through 20,000 Hz.

Nothing like this is still manufactured, today. If you find it, please let us know. :wink:

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #528 of 562
It's highly unlikely that those isolation transformers have the extremely low interwinding capacitance (0.0006 pF) of the Topaz -31 or -32 model series.

In other words, they can't compete. They would only be able to attenuate common-mode and normal-mode noise below 400 Hz, typically.

The Topaz -31 and -32 series transformers can attenuate commond-mode noise by 146dB, all the way up through 20,000 Hz.

Nothing like this is still manufactured, today. If you find it, please let us know. :wink:

I think those Chinese ones are made for audiophiles. But who knows, since they don't publish their specs.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #529 of 562
DACs and PCs are known to generate "backwash" noise, polluting the power going into anything else that's plugged into the same outlet or power strip.

You've got three devices, so you will need a small, simple power strip, with a short power cord, no surge protection or pilot lights or fuses, into which you would plug your THX 887 amp, directly (i.e. Uninex PS28E).

Optionally, go ahead and plug the Bifrost DAC and your computer - both of which might be generating backwash noise - into that same power strip shared with the THX amp. Now plug the power strip into the Topaz grounded-neutral secondary isolation transformer (rated to handle at least twice as many vA (Watts) as that consumed by all three devices when running).

Ideally, to ensure that neither your DAC or your computer can pollute the power coming into your THX 887 amp, you should purchase two more isolation transformers that will sit between the power strip and those two devices. These two isolation transformers should have a grounded faraday shield and a floating-neutral secondary (i.e. two B&K Precision 1604A).

Mike

Great, so if I buy the floating-neutral secondary ones, they'd be plugged into the power strip as well? And as a follow up question, if you go the power strip route, the other receptacle on the Topaz shouldn't be used for anything then?

As an addendum, I think I bought a unit with a Va that is a bit under the double load requirement. Can't tell if the B&K Precision 1604A is gonna handle 250-300W that my computer outputs from its specs sheet either.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #530 of 562
So I bought a Topaz 91095-32 and the internals look different than what was posted so far.

This is the output side.
IMG_20210109_210942.jpg

This is the input side
IMG_20210109_210630__01.jpg

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #531 of 562
Question for the experienced:

Should my en tire system be hooked up to the topaz or should my streamer and sotm tx-usb ultra which are on good linear power supplies but come before galvanic isolation not be attached to the topaz?

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #532 of 562
Question for the experienced:

Should my entire system be hooked up to the topaz or should my streamer and sotm tx-usb ultra which are on good linear power supplies but come before galvanic isolation not be attached to the topaz?

I'd say to have them all connected to one unless you can find yourself multiple TOPAZ's to ground their GND (green wire) at the output altogether via Star Grounding. By doing so reduces the AC leakage currents while keeping their 0.0005pF galvanic isolation towards specific gear. For example by doing so you could have your digital setup on one while after the USB cable to the rest of your audio system can be on another. This should reduce the high frequency hash that's dumped back into AC mains that could potentially work it's way back to your DAC/AMP if they were all tied to a single isolation transformer.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #533 of 562
I've decided to put my 91001-31 up for sale due to space. Minimizing my workspace and having limited area makes this difficult so, gotta downsize now.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
I'll also be wiring it for unbalanced (how it came to me initially).

Unbalanced is the standard 120V in/ 120V out, right?

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #534 of 562
Good morning and good afternoon gents,

Before I fire this topaz off to sell, can someone confirm this to be properly wired?

Input:
0129210937_HDR~2.jpg

Output:
0129210920_HDR~2.jpg

I appreciate all the help over the past year from everyone here. Some day ill be able to afford having one of these in my chain again.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #535 of 562
I'm trying to find a floating-secondary transformer that can go with my computer and this is what I got back from the Hammond Mfg rep when I asked about the 171 line that was mentioned in the OP:

1612478236139.png

Does this mean that the secondary is actually grounded?

Edit: Got a follow up finally after a few weeks. I'm just too paranoid and it is a floating secondary.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #537 of 562
Hi, Topaz community

In the process of selling my Topaz and just wanted to be sure that this is correct.

I've been asked about wiring for 120/120 balanced. Should I follow the diagram for 120/120 as displayed on the metal plate?
0227211105_HDR[1].jpg

Appreciate the help guys.

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #538 of 562
Hi, Topaz community

In the process of selling my Topaz and just wanted to be sure that this is correct.

I've been asked about wiring for 120/120 balanced. Should I follow the diagram for 120/120 as displayed on the metal plate?

Appreciate the help guys.
Apparently I stopped getting notifications for this thread at the end of last year and missed a bunch of stuff. This is probably too late to be helpful but for those that have the same question:

To get 120 balanced power wire both sides per the 240 diagram and ground the jumper on the output side.

You’ll know it’s balance because jumper to X1 will measure ~60v, jumper to X4 will measure ~60v, and X1 to X4 will measure ~120v.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #539 of 562
So I bought a Topaz 91095-32 and the internals look different than what was posted so far.

This is the output side.
IMG_20210109_210942.jpg

This is the input side
IMG_20210109_210630__01.jpg
No real point in rewiring a -32 unless you want to change the power cable or outlets. They can’t do balanced power and can’t be configured to step up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back