Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #541 of 562
Thanks for getting back to us @oneguy
:]
I'm thankful for all the help you've given to me and and appreciate what you've done for a community.
No problem. I try to help where I can :)

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #542 of 562
I've got a Topaz I've always used with my amps, with great results. When I bought my most recent amp for my Susvara, the Kinki Studio Thr-1 I heard it was not advisable to use anything with it as it already has a huge toroidal transformer and it would squash the dynamics, do you think that's the case with a Topaz as I thought there was no power loss, isn't that what the 1 to 1 means?
Thanks in advance;

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #543 of 562
I would say it's worth trying for yourself! Interestingly I had another audio designer, a DAC designer named Slawa Roschkow of SW1X Audio Design, tell me the same about "killing the dynamics" of his DAC using a Topaz isolation transformer, but I did not experience that whatsoever (I later realized this guy wasn't really very knowledgeable and his design was poorly engineered, I sold it and designed my own DAC, but I digress).

Assuming the toroidal is the mains transformer and not an isolation transformer itself, it being "huge" will result in higher primary-to-secondary capacitance and thus increased coupling of high-frequency mains noise, so that is actually all the more reason to try the isolation transformer. Typically toroidals utilize a primary-to-secondary electrostatic shield to reduce the interwinding capacitance, so hopefully that has been implemented in the design of the Kinki Studio THR-1.

I would say it can't hurt to try it and see if you think it improves or degrades the sound. If the THR-1 is well-engineered, maybe there will be little-to-no improvement or a degradation.

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #544 of 562
Well it's nice to see this thread still going strong now that I know a bit more about electricity and all its' wonders given my previous ignorance.

I recently opened up my ECA Extreme Isolation transformer (2.5 kVA model) and replaced the power cable with a nicer one that I already owned with larger gauge wire and a better plug and wired it in there, and replaced the outlet with a nicer one as well with a tighter grip and coupled the transformer's wiring with heavier gauge wire going to the duplex outlet. It works even better than before. What I found out though when I opened it up was that the outlet was wired for balanced power already, not only that, it had a capacitor wired into it (going from an unused hot/live screw/contact to a neutral screw/contact that it shares with another wire).

My main question here concerns potentially replacing the capacitor with an even better one. The capacitor that came with the transformer is an Aerovox 7uF 250v (assuming VAC, though it only shows the v) 50-60 Hz polypropylene film capacitor 1 and 7/8" long by 1" wide (so about 47.6 mm x 25.4 mm). I know the voltage can be 250v or higher, but I'm wondering what capacitance I should choose? 7uF capacitors are pretty rare (only a handful of 250v or higher 7uF capacitors show up on Mouser, forget it with finding audiophile capacitors with that rating), and it seems like with film capacitors of these dimensions the higher the voltage the lower the capacitance available. They are even rarer if you want something better than aluminum+polypropylene like polystyrene or Teflon or a really good ceramic one and maybe nicer foil.

Just looking for some capacitor suggestions to potentially replace the one that came with my transformer. Thank you.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #545 of 562
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #546 of 562
Well it's nice to see this thread still going strong now that I know a bit more about electricity and all its' wonders given my previous ignorance.

I recently opened up my ECA Extreme Isolation transformer (2.5 kVA model) and replaced the power cable with a nicer one that I already owned with larger gauge wire and a better plug and wired it in there, and replaced the outlet with a nicer one as well with a tighter grip and coupled the transformer's wiring with heavier gauge wire going to the duplex outlet. It works even better than before. What I found out though when I opened it up was that the outlet was wired for balanced power already, not only that, it had a capacitor wired into it (going from an unused hot/live screw/contact to a neutral screw/contact that it shares with another wire).

My main question here concerns potentially replacing the capacitor with an even better one. The capacitor that came with the transformer is an Aerovox 7uF 250v (assuming VAC, though it only shows the v) 50-60 Hz polypropylene film capacitor 1 and 7/8" long by 1" wide (so about 47.6 mm x 25.4 mm). I know the voltage can be 250v or higher, but I'm wondering what capacitance I should choose? 7uF capacitors are pretty rare (only a handful of 250v or higher 7uF capacitors show up on Mouser, forget it with finding audiophile capacitors with that rating), and it seems like with film capacitors of these dimensions the higher the voltage the lower the capacitance available. They are even rarer if you want something better than aluminum+polypropylene like polystyrene or Teflon or a really good ceramic one and maybe nicer foil.

Just looking for some capacitor suggestions to potentially replace the one that came with my transformer. Thank you.

6.8uF is a more standard value and should be easier to find, with a 5-10% tolerance, practically it shouldn't make a difference vs 7uF. I would be very surprised if replacing this cap made an audible difference however. If the original is within spec, I personally would just leave it.

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #547 of 562
Thank you very much for the help guys. I might just try a couple other different caps to see what works best and stick within the tolerance rating limit from the 7uF Aerovox (I've seen capacitance ratings as low as 0.047 and 0.033 on outlets elsewhere, just not in one of the ultra/extreme isolation transformers, so I won't chance it), then use the other caps elsewhere. Nichicon and Cornell-Dubilier have some low ESR caps on Mouser and I'll see what Parts Connexion has as well.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #548 of 562
Have not seen any posts here for a while... Also, nothing in the classifieds for a long time.
I wonder if these Topaz transformers are getting as rare and hard to find as some NOS tubes... :thinking:

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #549 of 562
I forgot to pop back in but I replaced the (still solid) Aerovox capacitor with a Mundorf Supreme Evo silver gold oil of the same rating and it was quite the success. I had to use a different, larger cover for the ECA since the capacitor was so much larger than the old one (and I needed to support the capacitor properly as well), but the difference with both audio and video is quite noticeable. I wouldn't suggest doeing this unless you have a cover that adds depth available, but I'm sure there are film capacitor upgrades that would fit better.

Does anyone have the capacitance specs for the ECA models? They use the "Extreme Isolation" moniker that Xentek does so I wonder is the capacitance can get as low (Xentek having a .00001 model)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #550 of 562
I forgot to pop back in but I replaced the (still solid) Aerovox capacitor with a Mundorf Supreme Evo silver gold oil of the same rating and it was quite the success. I had to use a different, larger cover for the ECA since the capacitor was so much larger than the old one (and I needed to support the capacitor properly as well), but the difference with both audio and video is quite noticeable. I wouldn't suggest doeing this unless you have a cover that adds depth available, but I'm sure there are film capacitor upgrades that would fit better.

Does anyone have the capacitance specs for the ECA models? They use the "Extreme Isolation" moniker that Xentek does so I wonder is the capacitance can get as low (Xentek having a .00001 model)?
I have been following this conversation and have purchased a Topaz .0005 Isolation Transformer along with a Hammond IT. When I first put it in my headphone system it caused an audible 60hz hum only when the Amp was turned up fairly high. Unfortunately, the hum was audible when I listened at reasonable levels.

I took apart the Topaz and realized that it was not wired the way I thought is should be. I rewired it so that the ground in the primary was not electrically connect to the ground in the secondary. I also connected the neutral to ground to create a grounded neutral secondary. I placed it back in the system but the hum still persists.

I happen to have 2 of the Topaz Isolation transformers, so I took the second one (unmodified by me) and tried it in place of the 1st one, thinking it might be the IT. The problem is still there. I also tried running the Topaz W/O the Hammond, still have the hum.

I am running a PS Audio Directstream Powerplant 12 which feeds the Topaz. The Topaz feeds an Auris Nirvana Headphone amp directly from the PS Audio unit. The Topaz then feeds 2 Hammond IT's that are fed in parralel from the Topaz. One Hammond feeds an Denafrips Iris DDC, the other feeds an sw1x DAC. I am running audio from a Windows Laptop into the Denafrips Iris DDC and have a Roon Nucleus.

When I take the sw1x DAC and plug it directly into the PS Audio unit, and leave everything else wired as described, the hum goes away.

I am struggling to understand how to get rid of the hum, does anyone have any ideas?

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #551 of 562
@JordanJacobs111 do the topaz units still produce a hum when connected directly to the wall and your equipment? I’ve only ever run mine like that so it may be a shot in the dark but trying to isolate a cause.

May 9, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #554 of 562
I have a Topaz Isolation transformer in balanced mode. I was wondering if one of these mains Puratin Power purifiers (PSM 156) could or should be used in conjunction with the Topaz.

Would it harm or help? If it would help- should it be before or after the isolation transformer?

I'd appreciate advice...

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #555 of 562
The main article talks about output voltage being higher than expected at the output of the transformer. I tested the 3 outputs (1 directly from the 3 plug, and 2 from the hammond mfg transformers in the line and they're all different (130, 128, 125). Tested the wall out and it's 122.8 ish. Would I need a step down voltage regulator for each of them? Or is the voltage regulator purely for evenness of voltage over time? Also, for any of these applications, is there some regulators that anyone would recommend?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back