Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 28, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #301 of 366

Quote:
I was surprised though because I was pretty sure you were gonna pick the Westone 4

[size=10pt]find which one "best" fits my genre of music (mainly trance, progressive, EDM)[/size],
from his music preference no wonder he like more the SM3, i think it is because of the bass.

May 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #302 of 366
When it comes to top-tier, personal preference is the most important part of the game. I for one don't really like SM3 dark signature much, but it is not to say it is not a good sounding IEM in its own right.

May 28, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #303 of 366

Same here, as they say YMMV. I easily preferred the UM3x over it and will be having my own pair next week 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
When it comes to top-tier, personal preference is the most important part of the game. I for one don't really like SM3 dark signature much, but it is not to say it is not a good sounding IEM in its own right.

Well the Monster IEMs are the best for trance for my ears imo. I must say that I did try the SM3 with some dubstep (Skrillex - Reptile) and was impressed by their "dynamic-like" bass performance but I think the Monster top tiers outperform it when it comes to that genre

Quote:
[size=10pt]find which one "best" fits my genre of music (mainly trance, progressive, EDM)[/size],
from his music preference no wonder he like more the SM3, i think it is because of the bass.

May 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #304 of 366
no suprise here for me. i've heard both, both are superb.
w4 is kinda thin sounding, a bit digital? hmm.. maybe skinny..
it doesnt have the juice in the sound.
since ur able to settle down on sm3, congrats on that.. kinda hoped i also can.. but having gone overboard.. i cant go back. lol.

May 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #305 of 366

Quote:

His source is a bit cold so that may have come into play or maybe not. Congrats on finding his preferred IEM.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #306 of 366
It's been great following this showdown - I'm a little disappointed that you've found your favorite so fast as I was hoping for more impressions from someone who owns a good number of top-tiers simultaneously
tongue_smile.gif
My preference in sound surely deviates significantly from yours as I did not like the SM3s at all despite many listens to try to convince myself it was worth the hype. I'll be keeping my eyes open if you choose to try out some of the more recent additions to the "top-tier" family: the Ortofon twins, Grado GR10, Final Audio Heaven series and dare-I-say-it the FI-BA-SS
etysmile.gif

May 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #307 of 366
Yea, well done i2ehan. You've come to your favourite and that's what matters. Don't worry too much about other universal iem's given the amount you've tried. I don't think your missing anything by not trying the grado gr10 for example- as i've had a few that you've auditioned and these aswell. The only thing the grado's do better than all is in my opinion, resolution. For example, I found them to get beaten quite badly on the soundstage front by shure 535's/315's, ck10 and ie8.

Nice reads, and very insightful updates throughout the 20 pages of this thread.

Thanks a lot

Sorry but I can't resist the temptation to mention the mx980 earbuds. For my preferences, these rip the crap out of all the iem's i've come across.

May 28, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #310 of 366

Quote:
When it comes to top-tier, personal preference is the most important part of the game. I for one don't really like SM3 dark signature much...

Quote:
Same here, as they say YMMV. I easily preferred the UM3x over it and will be having my own pair next week 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
My preference in sound surely deviates significantly from yours as I did not like the SM3s at all despite many listens to try to convince myself it was worth the hype. 

I didn't enjoy the SM3 one bit (with any sort of music) and found the EX1000, W4, UM3X, TF10, CK100, IE8 & UM2 significantly better sounding IEMs. I even preferred the W3 & SE535 over the SM3s. Having said that, if the OP found audio nirvana with the SM3s, good for him.

BTW, I could never get the best sound out of any of the IEMs I've tried with any sort of foam tips (Comply, Olives, etc). In my case single-flange silicone tips have always provided the most comfort & best SQ.

May 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #311 of 366

Quote:
what has price got to do with sq?
rolleyes.gif

Of course not, it's just rather odd to me that Sennheiser would sell a superior product at such a low price, especially given the rather premium price of their IE8s which apparently isolate about as much noise as an earbud anyway.

I've never been too wild about earbuds though, but I may have to give the MX980 a try...they seem to be getting quite a few nice impressions.  Although most say that they're not terribly comfortable/don't fit in their ears at all which is a concern...

May 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #312 of 366
I loled quite hard at the MX980mention, Sure there not bad but Their by no means in the same class as any of the IEM's here, And in that price range the RE0 is better.

May 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #313 of 366
The ie8's isolate way more than earbuds. These earbuds are not for commuting.

Their comfort is a mystery though. Compared to all other earbuds out there, they are definitely uncomfortable. But compared to your iem's it's your call. Virtually absolute zero microphonics and word cord down. Fast to put into the ear and take out. For me they are more comfortable than all the iem's i've tried (even creative ep630)- but only when worn rather loosley such that if I can't walk around the house with them on as they'll fall out. If I push them in my ears too much then I can walk around with them on, but the pain caused by the large facade of their body is unbearable. So not portable

Not for commuting, low isolation and not portable- people would rather wear their hd650's instead. That's probably among the reasons why they are not that widely recieved here.

Lastly, I have no reason to be biased for any particular product. I just like to mention understated/underated headphones. What's the point in me going on the ie8 thread and saying 'guess what guys, this has big bass!!!'

May 28, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #314 of 366

Quote:
I loled quite hard at the MX980mention, Sure there not bad but Their by no means in the same class as any of the IEM's here, And in that price range the RE0 is better.

Well i've had for many hours re zero, ie8, ck10, shure 535, 315, gr8, gr10, x5.

And i have no reason to lie. For example, for me, it beats the ie8 many times over in every possible way I can think of. Perhaps just not in low bass extension.

You found the re0 to better (obviously you've properly heard both/ and a few from this thread). And for you the earbud is of a complete lower class? Fair enough- that's your take, mine is different. But anyway last thing on the mx980- I treat this as an alternative to a full size headphone, so use it with a desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back