Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #316 of 366

Quote:
[size=10pt]find which one "best" fits my genre of music (mainly trance, progressive, EDM)[/size],
from his music preference no wonder he like more the SM3, i think it is because of the bass.

SM3 can do bass? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
When it comes to top-tier, personal preference is the most important part of the game. I for one don't really like SM3 dark signature much, but it is not to say it is not a good sounding IEM in its own right.

But is your personal preference  being shaped by   "[size=10pt]find which one "best" fits my genre of music (mainly trance, progressive, EDM)[/size],"? . 

Can you please let me know what I.E.M are you comparing against to hear the SM3 as having a "dark signature" ? . Which I.E.M's signature do you hear has more neutral?  

If people gave more reasoned views and compared there reasoning to other I.E.M's we'd all have a better chance @ determining the facts . 

Within the balanced Armature I.E.M realm ,has the SM3 got the most accurate bass reproduction.. Does it make a Deep resonant bass drum sound Deep and resonant ? .

I've heard plenty of physical proof that the top I.E.M's can produce sweet Mids and highs. . Can the SM3's give the sense that they get down deep ...?  and dirty if called upon. whilst still maintaining transparency in the lows,mids and highs .

How would anyone compare the brightness of the SM3's too CK10's and or e-q5's ? 

Would the OP be so kind and try to give more details in the differences between the westone 3's sub bass and the SM3's . 

May 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #318 of 366
I'm just enjoying the lively discussion.
smile.gif

I hope I made my point across as to why the SM3 is my preferred pick. I don't think I need to explain any further than what I've written under the reasoning. It seems however, there's still some misinterpretation, which I'd like to clear up altogether. This was never about one being better than the other. If that was the case, then in what sense is one better, and for whom? From the tips, to the angle of insertion, to the source, to the track recording/mastering, there's too many dependant factors. And the list goes on of course. No two listeners are after the same sound, period. The SM3's sound has opened up drastically to my ears, be it brain burn-in or otherwise. Given what I'm hearing now, there's absolutely nothing dark about it to my ears, and to my surprise, the highs sparkle ever so pleasantly. As I mentioned, I find myself so engaged in the music, owing to the SM3's signature; I can't help but smile with every track; it's the exact feeling I was after. Vocals are unmatched to my ears, and very intimate. I wanted nothing more than to find a signature I was completely content with, through and through. Needless to say, I've found it, and I couldn't be happier!
etysmile.gif

I'd like to A/B them yet again ib1dance, but the W3 is no longer in my possession my friend. With regards to sub-bass, the W3 offers more quantity than the SM3, if that's what you're after. Nonetheless, I'm quite content with the quantity of the SM3, as it's more than sufficient for my taste. I wouldn't compare the brightness of the SM3 with that of the CK10's, the Technica's are on an entirely different level altogether IMO. They're much more forward in comparison, and with the exception of the DBA-02, nothing I've heard comes close to the in your face presence the CK10 brings. I wish I could be of more help to you my friend, but I haven't heard the e-Q5 unfortunately. I assume you're addressing our friend ClieOS with regards to the SM3's dark signature and I'm sure he can provide you with an answer. There are some excellent in-depth reviews here on the forums, and you could quite easily come to a conclusion if you compare and contrast based on the reviews. All the best my friend, and to all, thank you for your kind words! Back to nirvana I go...

May 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #319 of 366

Quote:
I'm just enjoying the lively discussion.
smile.gif

I hope I made my point across as to why the SM3 is my preferred pick. I don't think I need to explain any further than what I've written under the reasoning. It seems however, there's still some misinterpretation, which I'd like to clear up altogether. This was never about one being better than the other. If that was the case, then in what sense is one better, and for whom? From the tips, to the angle of insertion, to the source, to the track recording/mastering, there's too many dependant factors. And the list goes on of course. No two listeners are after the same sound, period. The SM3's sound has opened up drastically to my ears, be it brain burn-in or otherwise. Given what I'm hearing now, there's absolutely nothing dark about it to my ears, and to my surprise, the highs sparkle ever so pleasantly. As I mentioned, I find myself so engaged in the music, owing to the SM3's signature; I can't help but smile with every track; it's the exact feeling I was after. Vocals are unmatched to my ears, and very intimate. I wanted nothing more than to find a signature I was completely content with, through and through. Needless to say, I've found it, and I couldn't be happier!
etysmile.gif

I'd like to A/B them yet again ib1dance, but the W3 is no longer in my possession my friend. With regards to sub-bass, the W3 offers more quantity than the SM3, if that's what you're after. Nonetheless, I'm quite content with the quantity of the SM3, as it's more than sufficient for my taste. I wouldn't compare the brightness of the SM3 with that of the CK10's, the Technica's are on an entirely different level altogether IMO. They're much more forward in comparison, and with the exception of the DBA-02, nothing I've heard comes close to the in your face presence the CK10 brings. I wish I could be of more help to you my friend, but I haven't heard the e-Q5 unfortunately. I assume you're addressing our friend ClieOS with regards to the SM3's dark signature and I'm sure he can provide you with an answer. There are some excellent in-depth reviews here on the forums, and you could quite easily come to a conclusion if you compare and contrast based on the reviews. All the best my friend, and to all, thank you for your kind words! Back to nirvana I go...

Good For you My friend!!!!!  Enjoy your music. Its why we buy these things

May 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #320 of 366

Quote:
I'd like to A/B them yet again ib1dance, but the W3 is no longer in my possession my friend. With regards to sub-bass, the W3 offers more quantity than the SM3, if that's what you're after

No not quantity .I'd like a I.E.M with a similar bass extension than the W3 though with a more level bass quantity than the W3.

Slightly less mid bass hump I believe but still a I.E.M that can get as low as the W3 .

May 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #321 of 366

Quote:

No not quantity .I'd like a I.E.M with a similar bass extension than the W3 though with a more level bass quantity than the W3.

Slightly less mid bass hump I believe but still a I.E.M that can get as low as the W3 .

Several of the above iems get "similar bass extension" as the W3 maybe even deeper. Personally I found the extension (with comply) of the TF10, MPTC,MPTG and if you can hear them some of the more critical/analytical types like the Ortofon and Etymotic ( though the treble response is so prevalent it's hard to discern at times). It's hard for many of us to get past the warm upper bass of the W3 to hear the rest of the range. Too much for many. TF10 with good tips or the Monster line for that subwoofer "punch" imo. 

May 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #322 of 366
Nice, glad you found your beloved :)

Bit of surprise since thought it would be the W4, but I will agree that the SM3 definitely has an extra bit of character, which I too, look for in a set of phones.  Then again, I'm not super surprised either, as even though I will probably concede that my FX700's are perhaps technically better and have which I have stated in the past as having my "ideal" sound and signature (with the right fit/earbuds), I have noticed that my SM3's in actuality, gets a lot more run when I'm reaching for the 'phones. 

Just something about them, the non-fatiguing lush, smoothness, the liquidity, the je ne sais pas... quality about them, makes it a very satisfying listening experience.  I guess they are French, after all :wink:

May 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #323 of 366

Quote:
Several of the above iems get "similar bass extension" as the W3 maybe even deeper. Personally I found the extension (with comply) of the TF10, MPTC,MPTG and if you can hear them some of the more critical/analytical types like the Ortofon and Etymotic ( though the treble response is so prevalent it's hard to discern at times). It's hard for many of us to get past the warm upper bass of the W3 to hear the rest of the range. Too much for many. TF10 with good tips or the Monster line for that subwoofer "punch" imo. 

It's funny I keep reading this thing about the W3. Mid Bass Hump and such. The possible issue with the Westone 3 is it is very tip dependent (like all others except maybe more) Comply will give you the MB Hump, Large Olives brings out a much tighter punch, Soft Flex, less bass Quantity but Better Quantity, more pronounced Mids and Highs. Olives are made in Heaven with the W3, Comply's while I like them too, muffle the beautiful highs, and bring out a tad more mids, and a bit more Bass. My Experiences anyways, as also with many others that helped me work with this W3 Masterpiece.  When I want the Sub bass feel that Ib1Dance requests, for (your type of music) Depending on the quality of the Recording and Mix) I bring the Mid bass down a notch Sometimes high mids/low treble down a notch on my Sony E345, and Clear bass up a notch (maybe two) Depends if I want my brains to rattle, Large shure Olives for impact....fuggettaboutit

May 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #324 of 366
SM3 is a great choice. Excellent pair of earphones. Not fond of the built, but otherwise they have a great sound.

I may yet sell my pair and then buy the version 2 of these, with the better build and removable cables.

May 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #325 of 366
Thanks i2ehan for going through all those IEMS :D if you or anyone could, could you help me compare the sound signature of the SM3 and the EX1000? I will be getting either one of them next week and wonder which I'll like more. I will be using them mostly in low-medium noise environments and I listen to quite a wide variety of music. Thanks in advance!

May 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #326 of 366

Quote:
It's funny I keep reading this thing about the W3. Mid Bass Hump and such. The possible issue with the Westone 3 is it is very tip dependent (like all others except maybe more) Comply will give you the MB Hump, Large Olives brings out a much tighter punch, Soft Flex, less bass Quantity but Better Quantity, more pronounced Mids and Highs. Olives are made in Heaven with the W3, Comply's while I like them too, muffle the beautiful highs, and bring out a tad more mids, and a bit more Bass. My Experiences anyways, as also with many others that helped me work with this W3 Masterpiece.  When I want the Sub bass feel that Ib1Dance requests, for (your type of music) Depending on the quality of the Recording and Mix) I bring the Mid bass down a notch Sometimes high mids/low treble down a notch on my Sony E345, and Clear bass up a notch (maybe two) Depends if I want my brains to rattle, Large shure Olives for impact....fuggettaboutit

I agree, Shure olives are my favorite for Westone/Shure/Future Sonic and even UE with modification. I also know i'm in the minority, but the W3 "settled down" after about 160 hours. Not brain burn , definitely less sibilant. My problem with the W3 was the fit and the bleed into the midrange. The TF10 didn't have that mid/high bass people complain about. Personally I thought it was great for most of my music. The low extension of the TF10 has a whoa effect when expecting a bass light phone. My recast TF10's took the same signature they had and added bass and brought the mids forward. Never tried the other tips with my W3 as I needed the isolation. Put the W3 in a custom mold or a UM cast and I would've been happy. I'm not a W3 basher, they just didn't fit me. Better seal with the UM . That said the W3 has bleed from the mid bass into the mids which clouds clarity. Fine for some forms of music too "colored " for others. I just think the UM series is superior for both servicing and isolation. Wow are we getting off topic.

May 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #330 of 366

Quote:
P.S, I don't EQ it seems like cheating or 'fixing' a broken signature. Plus it tends to lead to distortion. 

Sometimes as with my nano, never Eq, Sony well thats another story. again, I NEVER got the bass bleed into the mids with the W3. That would be a problem. I have read a bit about it however. Only with the huge long Comply's can make the bass a bit muddy and hide a bit of the details. As far as Broken signatures? These are all so nice, I don't consider any of them broken sigs, I love my 535's as much as my W3's. This is why our Friend I2eahan had such a hard time choosing, one "broken" sig, amy be another's paradise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back