Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #31 of 366
:p

Coulda fooled me! I'm not familiar with JVC anyways since it's not a familiar name here in the states, but it's definitely one I'd like to give a listen to!

May 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 366
I had a lengthy and enjoyable opportunity to listen to and compare and contrast the 3 current contendors (W4, IE8, CK10) yet again today, only to solidify my current preference. The W4 sounds best overall; it simply does it all, and do it well! The IE8's are more enjoyable on a fewer tracks, I'll wholeheartedly admit, simply because of the sub-bass prominence that just adds to the feel of the track and gets you pumped (the epitome of trance and EDM), but as I had mentioned earlier, isolation is 3/5 at best (if I'm to be overly generous) and I'd eventually outgrow the sound signature, as the lows begin to steal the shine with many tracks. The CK10's are hands down the last of the 3, strictly with regards to EDM however; they're much better fit for other genres, for which they are worth their weight in gold. For instance, while I listened to Pink Floyd today (FLAC of course), the CK10's just blew me away, as they were the absolute best of the 3, with the IE8's in last place, and the W4 right dab in the middle.

Between the 3, the W4 is the all around best fit for my taste, though the W3 is still regarded as the best for trance/techno by earphonesolutions, so I cannot rest my case until I've heard them for myself, or until the remainder of the competition arrives for that matter. Even still, I'm enjoying the ride, as each one is a blast in its own right!
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 366
I'm beginning to have second thoughts of my Headstage write-up. I came across some tracks where I felt the W4 really needed that mid-bass boost, and wished I could bring out the sub-bass ever so slightly. Well, the Headstage amps low bass setting simply struck me with awe when coupled with quite a few FLAC tracks, so much so that I'm considering hanging onto the little guy. I did encounter the same issues as described earlier with the bass settings coupled with the W4, however, the Impedence managed to completely get rid of that issue! No, while I don't warrant it worth 3/4 the cost oif the W4 itself (just yet), it's only fair that I put the Headstage to further testing (as I had initially planned of course), especially when the rest of the competition arrives! I do have to admit, the Headstage is growing on me, and made me realize that it does what it's meant to do, and does it well. I'll definitely do a re-write on Monday, following my testing with the TF10, W3, and UM3X. Stay tuned!
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #34 of 366

Quote:
I'm beginning to have second thoughts of my Headstage write-up. I came across some tracks where I felt the W4 really needed that mid-bass boost, and wished I could bring out the sub-bass ever so slightly. Well, the Headstage amps low bass setting simply struck me with awe when coupled with quite a few FLAC tracks, so much so that I'm considering hanging onto the little guy. I did encounter the same issues as described earlier with the bass settings coupled with the W4, however, the Impedence managed to completely get rid of that issue! No, while I don't warrant it worth 3/4 the cost oif the W4 itself (just yet), it's only fair that I put the Headstage to further testing (as I had initially planned of course), especially when the rest of the competition arrives! I do have to admit, the Headstage is growing on me, and made me realize that it does what it's meant to do, and does it well. I'll definitely do a re-write on Monday, following my testing with the TF10, W3, and UM3X. Stay tuned!
biggrin.gif

Yup, this is why you should always give things a second chance!  But still, I'm more inclined to think that the Arrow is more useful for power-hungry full-sized headphones than IEMs.  Of course, that's out of the scope of this thread and therefore irrelevant. :p

You should see if you can get your hands on an FA-BA-SS for this thread.  Though I honestly doubt that you could afford to actually buy one, with their rather ridiculous price point...

May 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #35 of 366
I'd love to, but I'm certainly not there as of yet. Besides, were I in that price range, I'm sure I'd consider customs above all.

May 15, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #36 of 366
It's official, I'm having euphoria, and if I am to keep the W4, after all is said and done, you are all witness to this: the Headstage stays. I'm not sure what it is and why I'm hearing different (may have been due to listening fatigue after constant listening), but it's hard to describe!

Dear Westone, this is what the W4 should have sounded like, out of the box, no doubt about it! The bass is SO warm and coupled with impedence, I'm practically manically laughing at my IE8's. I'm sure what I'm listening to now owes to the fact that I adjusted each individual setting, opposed to leaving applying just one, while the rest remained off (as I had done when posting my impressions), and the result can only be described as euphoric! I'm in shock, and off to bed!
basshead.gif

May 15, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #37 of 366
i2ehan, very nice and accurate reviews here.

I had the ck10 and now the ie8. For me the treble was too much on the ck10, but apart from that, they were brilliant.

I remember you saying that in soundstage ck10>IE8. Rare thing to say that and not get bashed (!), but I agree.  
(burned in IE8's don't worry). I reckon its the recessed and hollow midrange that gives the ie8 it's over rated soundstage appeal. Everything certainly feels further away from you, as most music is contained in the midrange.

I just thought i'd say, in the pure soundstage factor, out of everything (except circumaural full sized cans), the sennheiser mx980 earbuds smash the rest.

Bigger soundstage than ultrasone ed8's.

May 15, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #38 of 366

Quote:
i2ehan, very nice and accurate reviews here.

I had the ck10 and now the ie8. For me the treble was too much on the ck10, but apart from that, they were brilliant.

I remember you saying that in soundstage ck10>IE8. Rare thing to say that and not get bashed (!), but I agree.  
(burned in IE8's don't worry). I reckon its the recessed and hollow midrange that gives the ie8 it's over rated soundstage appeal. Everything certainly feels further away from you, as most music is contained in the midrange.

I just thought i'd say, in the pure soundstage factor, out of everything (except circumaural full sized cans), the sennheiser mx980 earbuds smash the rest.

Bigger soundstage than ultrasone ed8's.

Though you do have to keep in mind that earbuds are kind of in-between IEMs and full-sized headphones.  Though it would be interesting to see earbuds added to this review, nevertheless.

May 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 366
Haha, I know what's happening here! I'll soon be posting Craigslist ads requesting for an old shack!
tongue.gif

I don't doubt you my friend, I'm sure the mx980 are as you say, but if I enter the realm of earbuds, I'll need a new home altogether! Besides, I'm all for absolute isolation/cancellation, so until I'm ready for a change, IEM's FTW.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #40 of 366

Quote:
Though you do have to keep in mind that earbuds are kind of in-between IEMs and full-sized headphones.  Though it would be interesting to see earbuds added to this review, nevertheless.

Of course, but excluding sound and just including the form factor, they are very close to iem's, especially the ie8.

I mean, there are times when I don't want to wear full sized cans, and opt for lighter smaller portable iem's OR these earbuds.
So little mention of these earbuds- stock apple ones must be awesomely awful!

So easy to put in and take out, these earbuds are- wire down, no microphonics.......

And on the topic of isolation and noise leakage, I'm very picky on this. Anything that leaks sound at medium/high volume I'll kick out fast. Mx980 don't leak.

Isolation wise, they do provide some isolation- for me its not too far off the ie8's. Very surprising this is! but maybe it's because of the big earbud body.

I only mention these not to disrespect the op, or anyone. It's just that there's little mention of these on headfi, and it deserves some credit compared to the big boys outside it's own 'impressions thread'

May 15, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #41 of 366

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Yup, this is why you should always give things a second chance!  But still, I'm more inclined to think that the Arrow is more useful for power-hungry full-sized headphones than IEMs.  Of course, that's out of the scope of this thread and therefore irrelevant. :p

You should see if you can get your hands on an FA-BA-SS for this thread.  Though I honestly doubt that you could afford to actually buy one, with their rather ridiculous price point...

True, Things Change, but I am so happy to see you write down your thoughts and Feels as they change, (Like an Audio Diary) This is such a Great Idea you have. I have the W3, and I know I would miss this "mid" bass if I let them go. I had a very Similar experience that you had trying to "Boost the Bass" of the W4, via arrow, with the 535. adding more bass the the 535 whilst not at the impact level of the W3's, The 535.s still had too much bass, just didn;t sound good, and it took away the Mid shine of the Shures. Bookmarked and will follow. I look forward

May 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #42 of 366

Quote:

I only mention these not to disrespect the op, or anyone. It's just that there's little mention of these on headfi, and it deserves some credit compared to the big boys outside it's own 'impressions thread'

No one should have taken offense to anything you've written my friend, myself included. If we can't respect the opinion of others, how can we expect for others to respect our own? Thank you for bringing up yet another great suggestion to add to my wish list. I'd love to give these a listen, when all is said and done here of course!

Quote:
This is such a Great Idea you have.

Thank you kindly. I don't want to mislead myself (based on popular belief), just to agree with the rest or have anyone elses impressions impose my own. I'm glad to find that readers are enjoying this as much as I am. No matter how skewed anyones view may be from the rest, they can't help it because it's simply what they hear, and makes it that much more exciting and diverse! I won't hesitate to say, be it today or a week from now, whether something I've tested is absolute garbage or the absolute best amongst the rest, regardless of popular belief. In simple terms, it's my party, and I can cry... if I want to.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #43 of 366

Quote:
No one should have taken offense to anything you've written my friend, myself included. If we can't respect the opinion of others, how can we expect for others to respect our own? Thank you for bringing up yet another great suggestion to add to my wish list. I'd love to give these a listen, when all is said and done here of course!

That's true. It's just that sometimes someone's written a review on 10 headphones or something, and the first response is 'shudda tried ......... instead!'
redface.gif

No, of course it's healthy recommending gear appropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back