Top Tier Showdown (Top Pick Announced)
May 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 366

Quote:
Great reviews so far, hope to see more coming in the near future
biggrin.gif

Hey i2ehan, I know this is the "Top Tier Showdown", but I really hope to see the Superfi 5 Pros thrown in there as well (I've only heard good things about them lol) and I see you have them anyways . . but if they aren't good enough to compete, would you care to write a few sentences about them?

Anywhoo....

SUBBED
ph34r.gif

I'd love to my friend, I owned the SF5 PRO's for about a year and a half, until I discovered the IE8's, which were my first ever pair. If I'm able to, when all is said and done, I'll try and acquire the SF5 PRO's yet again. They were quite fun, as far as I remember; though at that time, I paid little attention to the sound signature, so who knows what my impression would be now. In the meantime however, I'll try to be just as descriptive with the TF10's, so that you have enough of an impression to build upon, after which I'd simply find a thread with comparisons between the SF5PRO and TF10, and go from there.
cool.gif

May 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #18 of 366

Quote:
So how are you able to afford all of these, anyway? :p

etysmile.gif
 Congratulations, you're the first! I'm sure it has crossed everyones mind at some point.
tongue.gif

Honestly speaking, it's all pocket money I've managed to save up. For instance, I was gifted an iPad 1G a while back, and found little use for my Macbook. I tend to own one of everything; one MP3 player, one laptop (iPad in this case) for all my needs, one pair of IEM's/cans, etc. With 4 siblings, who have all outgrown their love for technology (for the most part), I was able to collectively gather whatever "trash" they had left behind, and re-sell. When they say one mans trash is another mans treasure, they weren't kidding!
wink.gif

Nonetheless, I re-sell whatever I own the minute I find something that better fits my needs, hence I'm able to fund future purchases that way. I'm such a perfectionist, I still have the plastic seal over my 900 PRO's! I try to maintain the state of all my belongings from day one, because I know I'll eventually find something better.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 366
I'm currently plugged directly into my Logitech Z-680, running FLAC files directly off of my PC. Though that's bound to change since I received my Headstage Arrow only minutes ago!
etysmile.gif
 More to come on that bit later of course...

May 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 366
I didn't want to base my review of the Headstage off of anyone elses review/perception, thus I first wrote out my own impressions, and then proceeded to read the rest. While most hold the amp in very high regards, I'm sure they have absolute reason to do so, in their own right, and I fully respect their views of course. As was indicated by the review posted on ABI, "Just like any amplifier worth its money, the Arrow has no distinctive ‘sound’ of its own (when one doesn’t engage bass boost, crossfeed, or added impedance)." So unless one is able to fully appreciate the different configurations that I briefly discussed, I don't at all feel that spending nearly the same amount of money, if not more, on a said amp is deemed absolutely "necessary" as may be the case according to some views. Sure, there's obvious improvements heard with respect to certain genres/tracks, but is it enough to warrant $300? Not even close in my book! In fact, I'd strongly agree with the following statement, taken from the very same ABI review of the Headstage:

"Some arcane audio gadgets aren’t really necessary to have, but they can make listening to music more enjoyable. Portable headphone amplifiers to go with MP3 players definitely fall in that category. The bad thing is that not all of those portable amps are actually good, and with some it’s not clear if they even do anything (depending on the MP3 player or headphones they’re paired with)."

If this is what $300 spent on top of my already pricey (yet worthy) IEM's, I'll stick with the way they sound as is. In fact, I don't have much complaints here to begin with; all the IEM's I plan to review, or have reviewed thus far, are top-tier and my only reason for comparison is to find one best fit for my own taste. To be quite honest, the EQ configurations on my HTC G2 coupled with the Android DSPManager are more than enough to alter the sound where I see fit! If I didn't know any better, and had only heard any one of the top-tiers without any amp, I'd be just as much satisfied!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 366

Quote:
I didn't want to base my review of the Headstage off of anyone elses review/perception, thus I first wrote out my own impressions, and then proceeded to read the rest. While most hold the amp in very high regards, I'm sure they have absolute reason to do so, in their own right, and I fully respect their views of course. As was indicated by the review posted on ABI, "Just like any amplifier worth its money, the Arrow has no distinctive ‘sound’ of its own (when one doesn’t engage bass boost, crossfeed, or added impedance)." So unless one is able to fully appreciate the different configurations that I briefly discussed, I don't at all feel that spending nearly the same amount of money, if not more, on a said amp is deemed absolutely "necessary" as may be the case according to some views. Sure, there's obvious improvements heard with respect to certain genres/tracks, but is it enough to warrant $300? Not even close in my book! In fact, I'd strongly agree with the following statement, taken from the very same ABI review of the Headstage:

"Some arcane audio gadgets aren’t really necessary to have, but they can make listening to music more enjoyable. Portable headphone amplifiers to go with MP3 players definitely fall in that category. The bad thing is that not all of those portable amps are actually good, and with some it’s not clear if they even do anything (depending on the MP3 player or headphones they’re paired with)."

If this is what $300 spent on top of my already pricey (yet worthy) IEM's, I'll stick with the way they sound as is. In fact, I don't have much complaints here to begin with; all the IEM's I plan to review, or have reviewed thus far, are top-tier and my only reason for comparison is to find one best fit for my own taste. To be quite honest, the EQ configurations on my HTC G2 coupled with the Android DSPManager are more than enough to alter the sound where I see fit! If I didn't know any better, and had only heard any one of the top-tiers without any amp, I'd be just as much satisfied!
biggrin.gif

Well, you do have to keep in mind that some IEMs need a little more juice than others, like the RE262 - not to mention full-sized cans, which generally require a lot more.

May 13, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 366
Of course. For me all it boils down to is whether or not the price justifies the means, which in my case, plain and simple; it doesn't.
redface.gif

May 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 366
I updated the original post; check for my Headstage impressions. While it may go against what many others may have expreienced, I respect their opinion, and have only expressed what it is I'm hearing. To each his own my friend.
normal_smile .gif

May 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 366

Quote:
I updated the original post; check for my Headstage impressions. While it may go against what many others may have expreienced, I respect their opinion, and have only expressed what it is I'm hearing. To each his own my friend.
normal_smile .gif

I can understand that.  I read your impressions, a good writeup, I must say!  But I guess you're gonna have to listen with a higher range of IEMs to really get this down.

Also, are you gonna try ones like the FX1000 too?  That one is quite expensive.

May 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 366
If I am to extend my testing beyond what I have in mind, it'll most probably be the FX700 or maybe even the Sony EX1000 (as I'm still curious), though I hadn't given much consideration to the FX1000. If I'm able to find a good catch, I'll bite.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 366

Quote:
If I am to extend my testing beyond what I have in mind, it'll most probably be the FX700 or maybe even the Sony EX1000 (as I'm still curious), though I hadn't given much consideration to the FX1000. If I'm able to find a good catch, I'll bite.
biggrin.gif

Err, sorry, I meant EX1000.  The FX1000 is actually an HD camcorder by Sony.  My bad. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back