Top Tier Earphone Comparison - TF10, IE8, UM3X, SE530, OK1
Nov 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #61 of 64
I'm more interested in seeing actual graphs. Unfortunately, HeadRoom, which usually provides very comprehensive graphs, does not have information on any of these models either (but they do on Skullcandy models, WTH).

Quote:
Update: Frequency Response Test

Test group:
  1. Triple.Fi 10 Pro
  2. IE8
  3. UM3X
  4. SE530
  5. OK1

Pink noise test - EQ to equal loudness, 1kHz is defined as 0dB with all other frequencies relative to it. Pink noise is simply all frequency played together with a -3dB/octave reduction as frequency increases. This makes it so the intensity of each octave is equal, and if you EQ the loudness of the frequency spectrum to even, you should get a flat response in the end. I've used this for several years in practice, and I do find the results to be very good as long as you're not too rusty with it. Pink noise and trying to hear all frequencies all at once takes a little time to get used to at first or after long periods between using pink noise.

Test was done in a single session with quick changeover. I adjusted the loudness to about the same level for each earphone. This was to ensure that there was no perceptive variation between each earphone as our ears/mind tend to vary from day to day and vary by raw loudness as well. The quick, single session provides an even playing field and useful results for relative comparison. The goal was not high level of detail and precision but rather a quick comparison between each product. A 10-band EQ was used and response was adjusted initially and re-adjusted 2 additional times to dial in results.

Frequency ranges of interest:
  1. Bass
  2. 31Hz-63Hz
  3. 63Hz-125Hz
  4. 125Hz-250Hz
    Midrange
  5. 250Hz-500Hz
  6. 500Hz-1kHz
  7. 1kHz-2kHz
    Treble
  8. 2kHz-4kHz
  9. 4kHz-8kHz
  10. 8kHz-16kHz

I will try to comment further on these nine octaves for each earphone later as I cover perception of the bass, midrange, and treble regions and provide more thorough information on presention and characteristics of each earphone. The graph represents the average loudness for each earphone in each of these 9 octaves and is representative of the frequency response (my ears) for each earphone.

IEM%20Frequency%20Response.jpg

I will note that despite the frequency response, there is additional usefulness of response with EQing. Usable response of each earphone:
  1. TF10: 30Hz-15kHz
  2. IE8: 30Hz-15kHz
  3. UM3X: 30Hz-15kHz
  4. SE530: 40Hz-15kHz
  5. OK1: 40Hz-15kHz

This represents actual range of functionality with EQing of each earphone. I stop at 15kHz because that is the limit of my hearing perception. All but the SE530 and OK1 are capable of producing a 30Hz tone provided enough EQing persuation. The SE530 and OK1 simply aren't able to produce a discernible 30Hz tone despite even moderate EQ gains. Despite the modrate roll off of the TF10, it does respond to EQ gains and will provide 30Hz information if desired. It is obvious that the IE8 and UM3X can achieve this far more easily with very minimal EQ adjustment.

Treble extension is similar for all of these earphones. None really lacks the ability to produce high frequency information. Many times you will find the more budget level balanced armature or dynamic driver earphones to lack extension. Many are really only useful out to around 8kHz to 10kHz before heavily rolling off. A good dynamic driver like the IE8, RE0, OK1, or a treble geared BA like the ER4, or multi-driver BA setup like these will more readily extend out to 12kHz, 15kHz, and beyond with relative ease.

In terms of dB variation, typically +/-3dB is not a big deal. While we can critically distinguish 0.5dB or less, we have a hard time mindlessly perceiving less then a few dB variation. To many people, a couple dB here or there is hardly perceivable for casual listening. Smoothness of the curve also influences on how much you notice the variations.

Despite the moderate roll off of the SE530 and OK1, there is still some low bass information presented. We don't really stop being able to perceive information until its around -20dB to -30dB below the rest of the information. It will be quiet/recessed, but it will be there. How it is presented is also important. An energetic bass note, albeit quiet, will be more readily perceived then a softer note of the same loudness. Quiet doesn't necessarily mean lacking. However, it can influence the overall presentation.

I will spend some time describing each earphone in more detail and each octive in more detail as response alone is only one part of the total picture.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #62 of 64
The more I read the more confuse I get.  It clearly seems to be a personal preference and personal perception when you reach that level of IEMs.
I do have some of those and, as many other head-fiers, share some points with you but also disagree on other point.  

But anyway, having more users feedback is always something good to read!  Thanks for your writing!!!

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #63 of 64
thread necromancy at its finest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back