Top five CD’s for when stranded on a deserted island.
Dec 7, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #31 of 54
1. Itzhak Perlman's release of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas for unaccompanied violin. 2-CD set. These would go perfect with the slightly more intimate sound of the DT880 over my HD650 reference and offer some solace to the isolated existence one would face on a desert island. This is unrivaled music for this type of situation, reveling in some sort of loss: Bach composed these four-voice polyphonic figures for violin in 1720, suffering the losses resulting from the death of his first wife. All but the final partita are epic in their sorrow.

2. Jascha Heifetz's recording of the Bruch Concerto No. 1 in G Minor for violin and the Scottish Fantasy. This is Heifetz at his emotional peak and is virtually unrivaled in sophistication and refinement. This CD defines who this man is and what his mission as a violinist is about.

3. Any recording of Tchaikowsky's Symphony No. 6, the "Pathetique." As rumors have it, Peter wrote this last symphony in response to the government's desire to see him dead because of his homosexuality. And the results truly show. The first movement begins in an unsettling, dire manner, peaking in tragedy and then ending peacefully. Breaking the mold and receiving much criticism, the second movement is written in five-four time, but yet is still very traditional. Finally, one can hear the cynicism which Tchaikowsky had for the government with the almost ridiculously pompous march. The last movement is perhaps the saddest symphonic movement ever written, ending in purely catatonic despair.

4. Alexander Markov's recording of the 24 caprices. Markov is Russian, but his style is Italian, coming the closest to what hearing Paganini probably sounded like in real life.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 7, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #32 of 54
Geek,

All I can say is "Wow!"

Now that is a great example of what a great post looks like! It really makes me want to check out some of your music. Especially being a big fan of Bach, I am definitely going to check out your first recommendation.

280smile.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #33 of 54
Dec 7, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #34 of 54
1. Bach: Six suites for cello solo: Mstislav Rostropovich.
2. Radiohead: The Bends.
3. Tortoise: TNT
4. Stereolab: Emperor Tomato Ketchup
5. Shostakovich: Cello Concerto No. 1 Rostropovich/ Violin Concerto No. 1 Oistrakh. EMI classics.

I only really need the first one...the cello suites are all anyone can ever ask for in sound.

Dec 7, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
1. Bach: Six suites for cello solo: Mstislav Rostropovich.

...the cello suites are all anyone can ever ask for in sound.

B000002RUY.01._PE11_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Very nice stuff. Really touches your soul. I just heard some samples on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&n=36918

280smile.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #37 of 54
Otis Redding - The Definitive Collection, The Dock Of The Bay
Keb' Mo' - Just Like You
Ann Peebles - St. Louis Woman/Memphis Soul
Jan James - Color Of The Rose
Live - Mental Jewelry

This is not enough!
mad.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #39 of 54
there is always (for those of generous mind) the temptation to not include what has already been mentioned. so, a little bit.

1) Kind of Blue - Miles Davi
2) Beethoven 5 & 7 - Kleiber
3) Mingus a Antibes - Charles Mingus
4) Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
5) 36 All Time Favorites - The Limeliters

ok, so the youngsters see 5, and say "huh".

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by robert

1) Kind of Blue - Miles Davi
2) Beethoven 5 & 7 - Kleiber
3) Mingus a Antibes - Charles Mingus
4) Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
5) 36 All Time Favorites - The Limeliters

ok, so the youngsters see 5, and say "huh".

indeed! the other four I know though (or the artist anyway)

Dec 8, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #41 of 54
These are always hard! If I had a lot of time to think about it (and I had to!), I'd use the time.

I think I'd favor stuff with a lot of variety (e.g. Chopin Etudes/Preludes), but I'd also go for nice long disks--quite a few have 80 min of music on them. I don't think I'd include even good stuff if it were only 45-50 minutes long.

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #42 of 54
Mine, at least for now

1) Slowdive - Pygmalion
2) Radiohead - OK Computer
3) Numina - The Haunting Silence
4) Pete Namlook/Atmo - Silence
5) Alio Die/Amelia Cuni - Apsaras

Wait, I just can't live with only 5 cds, I need more!

6) Sigur Rus - ( )
7) James Johnson/Robert Scott Thompson - Forgotten Place
8) Shpongle - Are You Shpongled
9) Jim Cole - Godspace
10) Saafi Brothers - Mystic Cigarettes

Wait, I just can't live with only 10 cds, I need more...hehe

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #44 of 54
1) Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
2) Dredg - Leitmotif
3) Ska-p - Planeta Eskoria
4) Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
5) The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager

Well, this list would forever change, and I hate not having any Clannad, Miles Davis, Spock's Beard, Smetana, et cetera, but it will suffice for a quick pick of albums.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
Keith

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #45 of 54
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Glenn Gould - Bach's Well Tempered Clavier
Eric Dolphy - Out There
Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach (1st recording)
Thelonious Monk - Blue Note Compilation

Hell, there are many more I like just as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back