Top-end-closed-dynamic-headphone
Apr 6, 2010 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Deadmeatdh

New Head-Fier
Hello there again.

Now i'm back after a long time and have been upgrading and research a whole lot more.

Was wondering if anyone could be able to give me a shot on what Closed headphone you would prefer for "reference listening".

I myself have the ability to get almost anything there is.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 40
Don't know if any current closed headphones qualify for "reference listening". I do own a pair of JVC DX-1000 and prefer them to the Denons or the W-5000. As always, you need to listen and compare yourself.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 40
Agree with the votes for R10 and L3000. Moreso for the R10, though - best headphone mids, open or closed, that I've heard. I've not yet heard any other closed cans I'd consider "reference" grade. Ultrasone Ed. 9, JVC DX1000, modded Denon D5000 - all potentially enjoyable, but not reference IMO. The other closed AT cans are all over the map - nothing like the L3000, and not in a good way.

The top Stax closed headphone looks like an interesting possibility, though I've not heard it.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these are supposed to be really good

Audio-Technica L3000 For Sale | AudiogoN

It's generally frowned upon to recommend gear you have no experience with.

The R10, if you're serious...very serious. Used prices have hovered around $5-6k. Other than that, I would go with the Stax 4070s if you want the best monitor, bar none. This will also require at least a Stax 717 or 007t amp, or one of the amps from Woo or Headamp for driving them. I would advise you invest in an equally serious source (DAC or the like), as they are completely ruthless. Mind you, if you were going to buy R10s, I'd hope you had an equally serious rig to go with them. Oh, I wouldn't recommend L3000s unless you like bass, and a lot of it.

You DID really intend to post in the High End Audio forum didn't you?
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with the Stax 4070s if you want the best monitor, bar none. This will also require at least a Stax 717 or 007t amp, or one of the amps from Woo or Headamp for driving them. I would advise you invest in an equally serious source (DAC or the like), as they are completely ruthless.
You DID really intend to post in the High End Audio forum didn't you?
wink.gif

I second this, but IMO, the Stax 4070 is the king of closed phones, followed way back by the R10's. You dont see the 4070 being mentioned a lot because very few people have had the chance to listen to them, they are rare and most of the times they have to be hand made to order, I have read stories here of people that had to wait for their pair to be made. For the ones that have had the pleasure to listen to the 4070's, I doubt that they would not agree that this are the best reference closed monitors ever, and as so, they reveal EVERYTHING that is good or bad with your sources, cables, etc.
The R10's don't live up to their price sticker, buy the R10's only if you want a vintage collectable, however I think that their price has reached their peak, so dont expect them to go up in value anymore. For reference quality, you are much better off spending your money in the 4070's and a maxed Woo GES, or if you have the dough a maxedWES.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 40
Since you say "reference quality", I have to agree with GuyDebord: stax 4070.

The answer also depends on how "closed" you require. Most of the above cans don't isolate that much.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 40
I didn't know that stax were dynamic
wink.gif
My own opinion would be the R10 (I can't tell you about the L3000 until I get them and have some long listening sessions with them.) Not to ninja this thread but what's the chance a 4070 will be at CanJam? I'm intrigued.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadmeatdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there again.

Now i'm back after a long time and have been upgrading and research a whole lot more.

Was wondering if anyone could be able to give me a shot on what Closed headphone you would prefer for "reference listening".

I myself have the ability to get almost anything there is.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I am not fully awake but how could you be back after a long time with a reg date of April 2010, unless you come to us from the future?

There are only a few reference closed dynamics and these are sadly discontinued. The R10 ( not worth the price and materials used are biodegrading) AT Leatherheads again not worth the price.

The D7000, any Ultrasone, JVC... while nice are not really reference cans.

The 4070 is stunning but would require altering your parameters and going stats but in the end may be your best choice.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 40
For truly closed headphones (isolate) KeeS modded Pro 900 or Edition 8 is definiatly reference material.

Denons, DX 1000 are not

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For truly closed headphones (isolate) KeeS modded Pro 900 or Edition 8 is definiatly reference material.

Denons, DX 1000 are not

Nah, I have owned the pro900's and currently own the ed. 8's and although very fun and engaging cans, they are not even close to the reference sound of the 4070's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back