Tool - Fear Inoculum
Aug 30, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 85
Since I don't feel like paying $144 for the CD on Amazon, is it possible to download a hi resolution version of the album?
HDtracks $18. I got both!

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 85
Since I don't feel like paying $144 for the CD on Amazon, is it possible to download a hi resolution version of the album?
There's a discount code for HDTracks here.

Also, I just bought the FI Special Edition CD on Amazon.ca for $75 CDN which isn't bad considering what it is.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 85
So I'm considering getting the HD tracks version. Can anyone comment on the quality? I've noticed some serious distortion in the compressed streaming versions (Youtube and Spotify at least). Turn it up and have a listen to this section of Pneuma. The Spotify version is a bit hotter, so this distortion's even more noticeable. It seems to occur on a lot of heavy palm muted guitar riffs and whenever the drums really up the ante on the toms.

Basically, I really hope this is an issue with the compress stream rips and not the recording itself.

The actual track Fear Inoculum sounded great on Spotify, but the rest are busted :frowning2:

Also, yes, I have Premium and am streaming on multiple devices at 320kbps :)

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 85
I don't think the album is anything out of the ordinary loudness and compression wise and don't hear any distortion. Didn't hear it in 320 kbps (a friend sent me the leak early..) or the 24bit that I bought on release. The 24 bit sounds pretty good.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 85
The HDtracks version sounds best but that distortion on Pneuma is everywhere.

EDIT: I'm almost inclined to believe that distortion is an artistic choice? I just don't see it any other way..this isn't their first rodeo, ya know?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 85
It's a fantastic album and the HD Tracks is really good and I don't here any crackling that has been reported.

Anything you hear I guarantee that's how they intended it to sound.

This band is way to picky and meticulous to let something in that was not absolutely meant to be there .

I do believe this is their final album and I really am enjoying it .

I've bought two CDs as well as the HD Download ....

Now I need the vinyl

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 85
I'm finding this album is best enjoyed on my 2 channel loudspeaker setup. I mean I love my headphones too, but for some reason this album sounds so amazing on my loudspeakers. I can't get over Chocolate Chip Trip on my stereo OMG. The imaging is WOW. I also feel like the difference in 16/44 and 24/96 is way more noticeable on my loudspeakers. But that's also tricky because the 24/96 versions of Tool are not the same master. As far as the previous 5 records anyway. I'm sure it's the same as far as FI is concerned.

Sep 2, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 85
The physical Special Edition CD is well worth the effort to obtain (at normal msrp)

IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1208.JPG

Sep 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 85
I listened to the lead single - 'Fear Inoculum' at least 20 x times ahead of the full album drop, and have to say I really, really liked it.

When the rest of the album was released I went and booked out some time with the Sennheiser HE-1, and I have to say it was the most incredible experience to listen to new Tool music for the first time...'Pneuma' was incredible - especially around the 9:30 mark.
FDDB50M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back