Too much coincidence to be true...
Oct 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #226 of 298
yes. i saw that as well.

he previously had them on a'gon but then i guess cancelled the ad when it did not sell. his current PS-1 auction has no reserve but i bet he will cancel the auction if the price does not hit ~$2700.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #227 of 298
I read through about 8 pages so I am sorry if this has already been suggested. Would it be possible to make a FS/WTB forum that is completely verified? Like there is someone who has checked out every person who uses it. In order to apply you need to be a trusted member, with a verified paypal account, high e-bay and head-fi rating and get an address check by whoever is running it. Which can be done by the checker sending a letter to the person who wants to start using the forum and they will need to verify what is on the paper (at the person who wants to get in's expense). Maybe not a crazy post or length of stay requirement. Just proof of being trustworthy with a few head-fi members on the normal FS forum. It also might be good to have a database (private of course) that the mod keeps of every seller/buyers verified address and possibly a phone # and their paypal e-mail. Setting up a database isn't tough to do these days and sending a few letters a week wouldn't seem like too much trouble either (to me anyway). The rest of the requirements could be the responsibility of the poster.

would there be a way that you can't even get into the forum without being verified, to avoid PM scams? or at least a sticky with a list of everyone who should be allowed to be using the forums and if a buyer or seller gets a PM from someone unverified they can continue the transaction at their own risk.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #228 of 298
The bureaucracy and restrictions necessary to set that up would be ridiculous IMHO. I know who I like to buy from and sell to. That's why we have feedback. Most everyone I've dealt with was great, and some of them I wouldn't deal with again.

Threads like these keep people pretty well apprised of outright scammers, and the mods have their hands full dealing with those people. Outside of them, you are generally assured a reasonably good transaction.

If you want verification, databases and the like you're really talking about a for-profit system. Between ebay, A'gon, hifi-hock and the like that market is pretty well shut.

In my opinion, Head-fi's market fills a good niche. It's almost totally unregulated, and totally free. those two really go hand-in-hand.

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #229 of 298
Aside from the multiple aliases, I do not understand the issue with this guy. If he doesn't offer enough.. don't sell to him. If he wants to much.. don't buy from him. If he buys from you low and sells for more, then he has achieved the capitalist ideal. Not the nicest feeling but you were free to sell the item for what he did so move on! You may not want to give him a hug but I wouldn't tar and feather him either.
There also seems to be an opinion that he is degrading the warm and fuzzy community spirit that lies herein; but to be honest in my limited time here I am as likely to witness attacks and rants with egos battling for acknowledgment of minor points, as I am likely to see kindness and politeness and a true willingness to help those less experienced or ill informed. I am as likely to complete a transaction with a straight forward and honest member as I am to get stuck with some jerk who agrees to buy or sell with you and then wastes time trying creating scenarios designed to squeeze that little bit more out of you. As nice as it would be, this is not a community of saints. It is a community of people. And as with life you learn who are your friends and who are not and you should navigate accordingly. And until you gauge someone's character you should be cautious. I have been fortunate to deal with many honest, helpful and polite people here but also regularly come up against the other type. Am I missing something with this issue?

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #230 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by chilli nimrod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I missing something with this issue?

Only that "flipping" items (buying them for the express purpose of reselling them for more) is against the policy here, so far as I know. So are sock puppets.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #232 of 298
"Bidding" people up or down using 2 (now 3) names is enough to warrant a ban in my opinion, chilli_nimrod.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #234 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waddragon AKA headphone_speaker ... also banned.

Keep hitting the double !! Exclamation point button, forward PM's to the Mods, folks. This scammer won't go away otherwise.

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #235 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as a headsup (or warning), the same seller on eBay right now has listed a pair of PS-1 headphones..fyi

Thanks for the info.
I certainly plan to stay clear, and hope others do as well. His buy/sell record is not spot free..

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #236 of 298
as expected, because the bidding price was too low, he cancelled his PS1 auction that had no reserve.

i'm sure this particular headphone will come up again on ebay, audiogon, or even here, and under what user name no one can be sure.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #237 of 298
waddragon's, aka lobster king from audiogon, newest identity is Sony_R10.

I have sent notice to the moderators and this name should be added to his list of aliases soon.

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #239 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
waddragon's, aka lobster king from audiogon, newest identity is Sony_R10.

I have sent notice to the moderators and this name should be added to his list of aliases soon.

Really?
How do you know that? :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back