Too many people here use great cans with bad amps or no amps
Jan 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #181 of 505
Menisk and boomana, thanks for the help you have given me. I am going to go through the thread for 'newbies', (a term I hate)

I have been trawling through my threads and I accept that I am blowing off some steam because I have not had a huge amount of success getting answers from this forum. So hopefully you will understand I do not like the approach of newbies should respect the responses of senior members and defer to them. Which is a problem when the replies are full of jargon and nemonics.

Whilst I am in full moan mode, I do not like the idea of 100+ headfier and headphoneous supremious. It is heirarchical and suggests a level of knowledge that may not be the case. It also, when combined with 'newbie' is a way of putting people in their place. That again makes this forum feel like a school not a place for open discussion.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #182 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The normal person with a life and job cannot afford to run out and buy an HD800 as well as a great source and amp. Most people would just use their pc, which by itself isnt bad, but not as nice as a great amp would be. Bottom line, the majority of the world is poor. It's clear the OP was not poor.

So you don't by HD800s. You get HD6x0's or K70x's and an amp. People need to realize that you'll get more out of properly amped headphones in that price range than you will by running HD800 or similar out of a soundcard. The problem is when someone goes and out buys HD800s and says, "Hey everyone, this thing sounds great out of an STX". Then people with less experience get the impression they'd be better spending their money on HD800s because they still sound really good out of a soundcard with a 'built in amp' when that's far from the truth. That's the whole point of this thread.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #183 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Preachy and elitist, which helps to set the tone for this forum.

Ah shucks, I give up....
triportsad.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #184 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're talking about the thread you started, but I'll apologize about the way I brought that to your attention. It wasn't very tactful and I should've thought of a more productive way to approach it.

Went through that thread and in my opinion it was FULLY STUFFED with JUICY INFORMATION for the op. So if that's an example of being preachy when someone doesn't understand it then they should learn what the hell people are talking about. I'm completely lost for words if that isn't an example of people spending 10 minutes helping the op only to get told that they weren't helping which pretty much equates to, "thanks but bugger off."

GG

The thread if anyone gives a hoot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah shucks, I give up....
triportsad.gif

Don't dude
biggrin.gif
. I still love ya [in a manly way of course]

beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #185 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, but with one caveat... you grow to trust that this more experienced individual seems to like what you like among the cans that you have experience with. IOW's, if I love a particular can and a very experienced head-fier dislikes it, I'll always take that experienced head-fier's impressions/recommendations with caution. There are already a few obviously experienced head-fiers here whose impressions I largely disregard since it's now quite clear to me that we prefer different sonic signatures for musical enjoyment.

Totally agreed. Having heard D7000 and W5000 out of the same old Luxman P1, I prefer the AD1000PRM. Not by a long shot, but I do prefer the sound on the AD1000PRM even if its cheaper. Yes, the W5000 got better soundstage and smoother and the D7000 have one of the most energetic sound. But I just love the treble on the AD1000PRM even if most say its a bit hot and the sweet mid.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #186 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, way to take a post OUT OF CONTEXT. Congrats for poor debating skills.

I've been at this site a lot less but I enjoy reading up on things so I agree with aimlink. You tell someone something and they don't believe you. Yay. They ask a question that has been asked a billion times before [ie, HD6x0 or k70x amp, do I need an amp, which grado etc etc]. A search is your best friend. I did it, why can't others? Am I an internet forum elitist?

I qouted what had been said about 'educating newbies', which is preachy and how a £2000 set up is budget, which is elitist as I do not believe that £2000 is anything than way above average for a hifi spend.

It is the nature of all forums I know of that some questions get asked repeatedly. 'Newbies' as I was once, are often are unfamiliar with search functions. Or else, particularly with this site, it is so huge you dont really know where to start. I am a long term member on another forum and I have a few set answers in word documents that I cut and paste and modify to personalise them for regualr questions. I see it as a role of a regular member. if I cannot be bothered to do it, that is the day I should leave the forum.

I dont know if you are an internet forum elitist or not.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #187 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The normal person with a life and job cannot afford to run out and buy an HD800 as well as a great source and amp. Most people would just use their pc, which by itself isnt bad, but not as nice as a great amp would be. Bottom line, the majority of the world is poor. It's clear the OP was not poor.

But at least one will know the HD800 won't sound at its best via that, and he should admit it. I won't say that one shouldn't get HD800 because of said circumstances, as everyone, rich or poor, has the right to dream.

The OP's point is simply that, nothing else.

EDIT: crap, you guys post so fast.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #188 of 505
Quote:

Menisk and boomana, thanks for the help you have given me. I am going to go through the thread for 'newbies', (a term I hate)

I have been trawling through my threads and I accept that I am blowing off some steam because I have not had a huge amount of success getting answers from this forum. So hopefully you will understand I do not like the approach of newbies should respect the responses of senior members and defer to them. Which is a problem when the replies are full of jargon and nemonics.

Whilst I am in full moan mode, I do not like the idea of 100+ headfier and headphoneous supremious. It is heirarchical and suggests a level of knowledge that may not be the case. It also, when combined with 'newbie' is a way of putting people in their place. That again makes this forum feel like a school not a place for open discussion.

I'll agree with your comment on the term newbie that's thrown around here alot. It's really horrible to be called a newbie just because you don't know something. I don't mind people that don't have much experience as long as they're willing to learn. You did the right thing, you found out you weren't right about something and so you did what you could to understand what the deal was with it so that you were informed. I'm sure you used the search function because I don't think there were any threads that really covered what the difference was, it was more something that was discussed in unrelated threads and it probably became obvious that a decent thread with a good explanation was needed for everyone.

What I hate is people that start threads such as "do hd600s need an amp" or "whats the best amp for hd600s". People that don't even bother to use the search function and expect someone to do it all for them. It's the completely wrong attitude. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and you don't have to look far to find something usually.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #189 of 505
We (they?) don't call newbies people with low post count and/or short mileage on the forum. Noobs are people who have no experience in the headphone realm. But they are still "harmless". The problem arises every time you face with a person that is stubborn and convinced she/he achieved the top performance and how the hell you dare to suggest he/she is still closer to the level of crap than high performance?! See how many people don't believe you can pass an ABX test 320kb/s LAME against lossless which is damn easy taking just a decent headphone and a good headphone out... might be that of a laptop.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #190 of 505
Quote:

Post count is ridiculous, and means nothing to a great number of members who have been here for a while.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #191 of 505
Quote:

Went through that thread and in my opinion it was FULLY STUFFED with JUICY INFORMATION for the op. So if that's an example of being preachy when someone doesn't understand it then they should learn what the hell people are talking about. I'm completely lost for words if that isn't an example of people spending 10 minutes helping the op only to get told that they weren't helping which pretty much equates to, "thanks but bugger off."

That thread had a lot of good info, but it was created as a result of a post in another thread where I kinda shot Prog Rock Man down untactfully because he was misinformed. I didn't do as much as I could to help which is why he started the thread seeking clarification. I'm apologizing cause that wasn't the nicest thing to have done.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #192 of 505
Quote:

GG

The thread if anyone gives a hoot.

Don't dude
biggrin.gif
. I still love ya [in a manly way of course]

beerchug.gif

It was not just me who did not fully understand the replies that were given. There is no way what I said was "thanks but bugger off" or anything like that. It was thanks, but sorry I am still not really any the wiser, apart from I should look to SPL rather than ohms to determine sensitivity. The information given was not preachy, I just did not understand it. The comment by Mr Green regarding just leave it was preachy. Please only quote me telling people to bugger off if that is actually what I said.

I love you both too and I hope you can find it in your hearts to love me (in the appropriate manly sort of way, unless either of you is a girl, as I now know boomana is)

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #193 of 505
Quote:

I love you both too and I hope you can find it in your hearts to love me (in the appropriate manly sort of way, unless either of you is a girl, as I now know boomana is)

Don't worry, I love you in a manly way for your willingness to learn. I'm the same. I hate not being able to understand something and go to great lengths to work it out. The more you're willing to learn the more you're able to help around here.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #194 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That thread had a lot of good info, but it was created as a result of a post in another thread where I kinda shot Prog Rock Man down untactfully because he was misinformed. I didn't do as much as I could to help which is why he started the thread seeking clarification. I'm apologizing cause that wasn't the nicest thing to have done.

I have been on forums too long to know that sometimes typing out words without seeing peoples facial expressions is probably the cause of a lot of arguments and accidental slights. I also have the skin of a rhino.

Menisk, as soon as you posted your comment I realised, oops and though oh no, I have been wrong for a while now and have advised others incorrectly (thankfully only the once). So I hopefully reacted wisely and started the thread on sensitivity.
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #195 of 505
Whilst we are on the subject of old members treating new members poorly...

There's a clear attitude difference, mostly through the presumption that "you know nothing because you just joined and therefore are just getting into the hobby". This works well for some newbies but it really ticks me off personally when I know a bit about the hobby and I am still lumped in the category of the "un-knowers"; to the point where, in the past four days I have been reaching the point of absolute annoyance because it appears as though people fail to read my posts and start suggesting things I did not even mention.

Example: "Why don't you turn down the gain on your MKIII"
I already did, and I already said that I stopped using it
"The HD800 is in another league compared to 701 and sa5k"
Never said it wasnt. It's also in an entirely different price bracket (especially locally at $2400 or so).
Followed by the assumption that I don't know that amps "dont sound like much" when I was clearly comparing and contrasting two amps I have in my posession.

These are really pet peeves and not really an issue. It just makes head-fi a very frustrating community to participate in at times.

I would like to say that, save for the trolls, a lot of newer members are more pleasant than the older members. However there are indeed some invaluable older members with wealth of knowledge and kind attitudes.

Head-fi is a place you need to enter with your tact filter up full.

Smaller communities are far far far more pleasant (and arguably much more helpful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back