TOO MANY IEMS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! - How to keep them organized?
Oct 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Yggdrassilious

500+ Head-Fier
I must be the only one who have trouble keeping my IEMs organized, since nobody here ever talks about it. 

Here is my issue: I often find my earphones scattered all over the place. I would have a set under my pillow, a set on my nightstand, a set in my nightstand's drawer, another one on my desk, two sets in my car, and finally the one that is attached to my audio player.

When I grab them, the cord is always tangled and tied up, regardless of whether or not I rolled them up nicely after the last time I used them. I cannot find where their respective pouches/cases are, much less the tips. Usually I know where they are when the earphones are new. But after a few months where I have settled down on my preferred set of eartips, the ones I do not use sort of just disappears. 

So, how do you guys do it!? Do you keep a drawer/box/special place where you store all your audio things? How do you keep the cord untangled? Do you store earphones in their pouches after each use? How troublesome that would be!!!

If only there is a way to keep multiple IEMs together in the same general area, but also have them each individually placed apart from each other (no cord tangling up), while ALSO have the earphones out and on display (not hidden away in carrying cases), so that I can just take a look and decide which set I would like to listen to!!! OH AND ALSO, need to have easy and quick access to them and also be able to put them away QUICKLY but also in an organized and efficient fashion.

Anyone?

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 13
I can think of worse problems to have - 
wink.gif

How many sets do you have?

I don't have your problem as I only have a couple of sets....I use my top drawer to keep all my headphones and accessories. My Westone 4's live in their small case that they came in. My UERM's live in a Pelican 1010 Micro Case with Dehumid pouches inside ( I travel a lot ).

I feel guilty when I see any of my HP's or IEM's just lying around...I think of all the $$ I have just sitting there and then make sure the cables are wound up and the unit is inside it's respective case......30 seconds max!

Maybe have a dedicated drawer or some sort of Jewelry Style box with a flip top lid.....nice wood finish and felt lined?

Dude...get organized - 
wink_face.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 13
with respect Artem (& Ikea) thats a pretty ugly looking box 
eek.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 13
hahah, I just went online and looked for storage solutions :)

That said, getting a proper box for them is still the best solution. For those that don't come with their own case, I'll usually use an metal box similar to Altoids to store them individually, after I line the interior with some soft fabric for cushioning.

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd look around on Etsy for candle holders. Sounds weird, I know, but they look great. Just pull out the candles and put in your iems. 

From straightforward...

to a little bit crazy (search for driftwood candle holders)

Since it's Etsy, none of them are too expensive ($20~$50). They might be a bit large, though.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 13
^^ could be a pretty cool solution, however, with that amount of $$ tied up in IEM hardware, I'd be leaning towards a closed / protective solution.

Horses for courses....whatever works best for you.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 13
I lost the battle long ago but still try to keep them in their carrying cases inside a drawer despite their shapes, sizes, colors... Nothing really fancy. I realized I own too many IEMs...

Maybe you know better than me all of this, but still...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/666577/the-complete-guide-to-taking-proper-care-of-headphones

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 13
How creative!!! One could even get a set that hangs on the wall, and just coil the cable inside while leave the earpieces hanging out, so you know which one you are grabbing! 

Big earphone companies should design and sell earphone organizer solutions!

Quote:
  I'd look around on Etsy for candle holders. Sounds weird, I know, but they look great. Just pull out the candles and put in your iems. 

From straightforward...

to a little bit crazy (search for driftwood candle holders)

Since it's Etsy, none of them are too expensive ($20~$50). They might be a bit large, though.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 13
I just leave them in the cases they came in

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 13
I have a similar problem, I use a couple of smaller clear storage bins, as one would find in Target or Walmart.

I keep the earphones within little earphone cases as you would find online
 such as : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pocket-Hard-Case-Storage-Bag-For-Earphone-Headphone-Earbuds-SD-TF-Card-/141010415304?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=440144553623&hash=item20d4e02ec8
Or I keep them in the cases provided.
I label each case with the name of the earphone using small sticky labels then store all of them within the storage bin I mentioned above.

Empty boxes they came in all go into a sealed rubber storage bin that I keep in my basement.

For my more expensive earphones, I use a few of these Otterbox 2000's :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OtterBox-2000-Waterproof-DryBox-Crushproof-Phone-Camera-Card-Airtight-Case-Black/231043580094?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D1966307099219324119%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D271230771416%26

You can also try this for a different storage solution.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 13
I was out with my son looking at Fishing tackle at Walmart and saw some Otterbox/Pelican box style sealed boxes with dividers. a few of them were big enough to put the IEM as well as the accessories (tips, cleaner, etc.). This might be a solution. I was thinking of making a headphone decal or something to go on the outside...

Jeff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back