Too many choices!!! Need help!
May 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kharma20

New Head-Fier
As the title states i'm in the market for some new headphones. I currently own the v-moda crossfade lp's which were given to me as a gift about a year ago. I am looking for some new headphones around $350 it can go as far as $400, but nothing higher than that and lower than $350 would be great. I have been reading tons, but can't seem to make up my mind. I will be using the headphones for listening to music, watching movies, and playing FPS'. I would prefer them to be open headphones and go around my ear. I don't care about the looks of them. I have been considering the DT990, hd598/600, and the HE-400's. I couldn't find much on using the he-400's for games like i could with the dt990. I guess i'm looking more for someone to point me in the right direction at this point because I obviously can't decide :D . I mainly listen to rap/electronic, but i also enjoy everything else as well, i just know that question will come up pretty quick on what i listen to most. I'm trying to answer as many questions as i can in the first post as you can see and i'll stop talking now!

Thanks in advance!

May 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 22
I have mainly experience with AKG k701/k702 and HD650s, I originally used the woo audio WA3 with them and still found something to be desired in terms of power. 400 dollars on headphones is a lot, but have you considered getting an amp and dac for your headphones?

From the ones you mentioned the sennheisers almost definitely need an amp to meet their highest potential, as with the HE-400s.

May 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Yup, it should. Also, if upgrading you could get an amp (not a DAC) since you have the stx.

May 6, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 22
^I don't think they need amping that much, it shouldn't really be necessary. It is low impedance, high efficiency.

May 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 22
I would have said the V moda m 100 but that's alledgedly what you have, it supposedly has big bass fun bass, and a good rumble, good for pop and hip hop and really sturdy, it's about 300, do you have the m-100 or the smaller version?  I would stay away from the hd600  ebecause it is not going to have huge big bass for movies or games....it is moreof a studio producing range phone....not a gaming headphone...if you want open then go for beyer probaly 770 or 990 i guess....they dont have detachable cord though.  the philips 

Philips Fidelio X1 supposed to have good low end and is open, it's a fun speaker supposedly, 

May 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 22
denons dont need amps really...they have llow impedence.......in other words you dont need a huge amount of voltage goin into them from the source...ie. you dont need an amplification device...and in fact you could actually blow your phones out if you are using an amp trying to drive too much into the low bottleneck

May 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 22
I have mainly experience with AKG k701/k702 and HD650s, I originally used the woo audio WA3 with them and still found something to be desired in terms of power. 400 dollars on headphones is a lot, but have you considered getting an amp and dac for your headphones?

From the ones you mentioned the sennheisers almost definitely need an amp to meet their highest potential, as with the HE-400s.

I thought the he-400 was prized for it not needing to be amped.

May 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 22
So then I should probably go with the dt990 correct? How much benefit will it get from adding an amp additional to the stx

Well, the STX has a pretty good built in headphone amp. That's why people buy it. So get the headphones you want first, then think about the amp. You might decide you want a warmer sound, in which case a tube amp would be better. Or maybe you will feel like you need more volume only, so you could go with a better solid state amp. Or you might just be happy with it as is :)

May 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #13 of 22
Well, the STX has a pretty good built in headphone amp. That's why people buy it. So get the headphones you want first, then think about the amp. You might decide you want a warmer sound, in which case a tube amp would be better. Or maybe you will feel like you need more volume only, so you could go with a better solid state amp. Or you might just be happy with it as is :)

I'm not a big fan of the warmer sound. So the dt 990 will probably be the best for what im looking for?

May 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm not a big fan of the warmer sound. So the dt 990 will probably be the best for what im looking for?

It's not as much of a warmer sound as you think. It's more a slight adjustment that can take the edge of brighter sounding speakers.

But yes. The DT990s are good if you want bass emphasis. If you want headphones that are a little more neutral but (a) still have nice bass and (b) respond well to some bass EQ, the DT880s. See their rating description in the headphone flagship review thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13#user_DT880

Users who are viewing this thread

Back