Too good to be true? Sennheiser IE7 for £36.44
Oct 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #46 of 102
Hah you guys are gonna think i'm mad but i'm thinking these might not actually be broken now. They crackle when i turn the jack but it's only when they've first been plugged in, say if i turn the a revolution or so they won't crackle anymore. Is there anything in the design that would cause them to crackle when plugged into my iPhone 4 then once they've been in they won't crackle anymore?

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #47 of 102

Quote:
Hah you guys are gonna think i'm mad but i'm thinking these might not actually be broken now. They crackle when i turn the jack but it's only when they've first been plugged in, say if i turn the a revolution or so they won't crackle anymore. Is there anything in the design that would cause them to crackle when plugged into my iPhone 4 then once they've been in they won't crackle anymore?

Have you tried using it from any other sources? Sometimes headphones do that if the contact between the plug and the socket isn't great, but it can also be a sign that the plug is faulty.

Edit: I think I remember my iPhone 4 doing something similar when I had it, though this was with another pair of headphones.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #48 of 102

Quote:

I know exactly what this is. Sennheiser puts a coating onto the tips of the plugs. I assume this is to keep them fresh and inhibit rust or contamination formation. I had this issue on my first IE8 and after reading about the coating Sennheiser puts on the tips I immediately rubbed my second new pair of IE8s tip clean (my first pair broke while taking of a damn comply tip; hate those things) and never had to experience that again. So its basically just a coating from factory that was causing this. Its not uncommon to hear this issue and then it goes away shortly after. Guess you won't get to upgrade to IE80s afterall :wink:

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #49 of 102

Quote:
How much you wanna bet lol? If it is Sennheiser authorized they will upgrade you to an IE80; Sennheiser is forced to do this as most other companies are (Dell was forced to upgrade my computer from an XPS 730 to an Alienware area 51 due to no longer making the older model and thus everything was upgraded as well) in the event they cannot repair or replace the item with the same model. This will be the case with the IE7 as they don't make it anymore. The IE60 is not in league with the IE7 and someone on the IE7 thread posted this earlier. They had a refurbished pair I think (regardless though that will not matter, it still has a warranty guys) of IE7s and they broke. So they upgraded him to the IE80. They tried dumping the IE60 on him and he said "BS" and they were forced to give him the IE80. Don't be jipped by Sennheiser and whine like a 7 year old girl. They'll bend over lol.

haha :D!
2 years warranty too right?

Ie90? haha

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #50 of 102

Quote:

Quote:
I know exactly what this is. Sennheiser puts a coating onto the tips of the plugs. I assume this is to keep them fresh and inhibit rust or contamination formation. I had this issue on my first IE8 and after reading about the coating Sennheiser puts on the tips I immediately rubbed my second new pair of IE8s tip clean (my first pair broke while taking of a damn comply tip; hate those things) and never had to experience that again. So its basically just a coating from factory that was causing this. Its not uncommon to hear this issue and then it goes away shortly after. Guess you won't get to upgrade to IE80s afterall :wink:

This si where you would like gold plated jacks and not nickel....ya ya connectivity is the same, but not longevity - I had that problem with the ie8's - it pissed me the HELL OFF

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #51 of 102

Quote:

Ie90? haha

If that's the case my IE7s might 'break' at some point in the future! 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 That said, I doubt these'll have any warranty beyond the one month faulty items return policy.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #52 of 102

Quote:

Ie90? haha

Nope. 90 day. But you could always get an extended 2 year warranty from square trade for dirt cheap anyways lol. If interested PM me and I can give you a 20% discount coupon to use. Just refer me when you do so lol.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_warranty

1. Sennheiser products: 2 years
  2. Wired evolution products: 10 years
  3. Aviation products: 5 years (selective products 10 years)
  4. Sennheiser Communications Headsets: 2 years
  5. Neumann products: 1 year
  6. HHB: 1 year
  7. Klein and Hummel: 1 year
  8. Refurbished products: 90 days
  9. "Out of Warranty" replacements for telecom headsets carry a 1 year guarantee
  10. Sennheiser products purchased from non-authorized dealers are not covered by warranty.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #55 of 102
Thanks alot! I noticed the 'problem' seemed to be getting better so that makes sense, thank you i've avoided a pointless return there! Hah i'm feeling happy now.

Lee, I'd be interested in taking out square trade warranty on these if possible? I'd really appreciate so advice there, so even though i only paid £36 for these, i'd be able to insure with square trade so i'd get replacement ie7's if they break!? 

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #56 of 102

Quote:
Thanks alot! I noticed the 'problem' seemed to be getting better so that makes sense, thank you i've avoided a pointless return there! Hah i'm feeling happy now.

Lee, I'd be interested in taking out square trade warranty on these if possible? I'd really appreciate so advice there, so even though i only paid £36 for these, i'd be able to insure with square trade so i'd get replacement ie7's if they break!? 

No, they'd refund you what you paid for them. So the less money you paid for them the less money that warranty will cost you. Not much at all I must say. I'll PM you the details and give you the coupon code as well. I did this with my IE7s when I had them. I figure I'll just keep it active though for the buyer just in case he pair goes bad and then I'll just give him the warranty.

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #58 of 102

Quote:
No, they'd refund you what you paid for them. So the less money you paid for them the less money that warranty will cost you. Not much at all I must say. I'll PM you the details and give you the coupon code as well. I did this with my IE7s when I had them. I figure I'll just keep it active though for the buyer just in case he pair goes bad and then I'll just give him the warranty.

In that case there's not much point in insuring them, since they won't give you a replacement and you'll be left without the IE7s. Do you have any idea whether mobile phone insurance that covers accessories can cover refurbished earphones?

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #59 of 102

Quote:
In that case there's not much point in insuring them, since they won't give you a replacement and you'll be left without the IE7s. Do you have any idea whether mobile phone insurance that covers accessories can cover refurbished earphones?

Highly doubt that. I mean the warranty was worth it for me. It gave me the option to buy another IE8. But this time I opted for an IE8 through and authorized dealer. Square trade refunded me $265.00 plus an additional 10% because I opted for an amazon gift card instead of a check. Was well worth it to me.Otherwise I'd been ****-out-of-luck and no IE8s.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #60 of 102
Thanks for the PM man, unfortunately us UKers can't use the service, they do have a uk section on their site but you can only buy policies through amazon and i couldn't find a suitable cover there. I really do appreciate the trouble you've gone to to help us out though! Oh well at least it seems we get a 90 day warranty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back