Too good to be true? Sennheiser IE7 for £36.44
Oct 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

unnddd

New Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser IE7s from FactoryRefurbsDir on Play.com for £36.44. They're obviously used/refurbished and the description states that the box is damaged and some accessories are missing.

I can't help feeling that the price is too good for them to be genuine, so does anybody have any experience with FactoryRefurbsDir? I read somewhere that they were like Play's version of Amazon Warehouse deals, but the source was unreliable so I'm not sure.

One last thing: once I get the headphones, how can I check whether they're genuine?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 102
I own the IE7s and did some research about fakes before I purchased mine. I seem to remember that the Y split and plug on fakes tends to be opaque grey, whereas the real ones are a translucent grey. The fakes are also missing the foam eartips.

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 102

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser IE7s from FactoryRefurbsDir on Play.com for £36.44. They're obviously used/refurbished and the description states that the box is damaged and some accessories are missing.

I can't help feeling that the price is too good for them to be genuine, so does anybody have any experience with FactoryRefurbsDir? I read somewhere that they were like Play's version of Amazon Warehouse deals, but the source was unreliable so I'm not sure.

One last thing: once I get the headphones, how can I check whether they're genuine?

Thanks

Play it safe and order from DACmart if you can. They sell refurbished for $99.00 and are Sennheiser Authorized with a Sennheiser Warranty included. If its sounds to good to be true it not usually is (it is to be true lol).

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 102

Quote:
I own the IE7s and did some research about fakes before I purchased mine. I seem to remember that the Y split and plug on fakes tends to be opaque grey, whereas the real ones are a translucent grey. The fakes are also missing the foam eartips.

That'll definitely come in handy once I can have a look at them, so thanks. :)

Quote:
Play it safe and order from DACmart if you can. They sell refurbished for $99.00 and are Sennheiser Authorized with a Sennheiser Warranty included. If its sounds to good to be true it not usually is (it is to be true lol).

That's still more than double the price I'm paying, and I'm not sure I'd be happy spending that much money on earphones at the moment since I already have a decent pair. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, because I have faith in Play.com's subsidiaries (assuming FactoryRefurbsDir is one of course, and I think it is).

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 102

Quote:
That'll definitely come in handy once I can have a look at them, so thanks. :)

That's still more than double the price I'm paying, and I'm not sure I'd be happy spending that much money on earphones at the moment since I already have a decent pair. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, because I have faith in Play.com's subsidiaries (assuming FactoryRefurbsDir is one of course, and I think it is).

Good luck. If it is fake then you are out $50.00 then? For me that's still not worth the risk unless you have some sort of protection. Even so I'd confirm with them if its genuine or not otherwise I'd report them to Sennheiser. I've used this tactic before to get people to come clean. I won't tolerate being ripped off by anyone. What headphone do you have that are decent BTW?

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 102

Quote:
Good luck. If it is fake then you are out $50.00 then? For me that's still not worth the risk unless you have some sort of protection. Even so I'd confirm with them if its genuine or not otherwise I'd report them to Sennheiser. I've used this tactic before to get people to come clean. I won't tolerate being ripped off by anyone. What headphone do you have that are decent BTW?

I'll almost certainly be able to get a refund if they're not genuine, so I'm not worried about losing my money, really. The seller has very good feedback.

I have Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape IEMs.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 102

Quote:
I'll almost certainly be able to get a refund if they're not genuine, so I'm not worried about losing my money, really. The seller has very good feedback.

I have Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape IEMs.

Never heard of the SW IEMs. The IE7s may be levels above what you have right now. I owned them at one point and they were easily worth more than the $100.00 I paid for them. They retailed for well over $200.00.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 102

Quote:
Never heard of the SW IEMs. The IE7s may be levels above what you have right now. I owned them at one point and they were easily worth more than the $100.00 I paid for them. They retailed for well over $200.00.

The SW-Xcapes have a similar sound signature to the RE0s I believe, so although it'll be a step up it's not going to be huge.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 102

Quote:
The SW-Xcapes have a similar sound signature to the RE0s I believe, so although it'll be a step up it's not going to be huge.

It depends. What would you consider huge? Aren't the REOs very neutral sounding? If you like that signature the IE7s may not be your cup of tea. They are mid centric with a vast sound stage with lots of bass. I'm sure the REOs sound thin and very flat in comparison.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 102

Quote:
It depends. What would you consider huge? Aren't the REOs very neutral sounding? If you like that signature the IE7s may not be your cup of tea. They are mid centric with a vast sound stage with lots of bass. I'm sure the REOs sound thin and very flat in comparison.

Yes, that's exactly the reason I want to try something with a wider sound stage and more vibrant sounding. :wink:

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 102

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly the reason I want to try something with a wider sound stage and more vibrant sounding. :wink:

Then they may be to your liking after all. You may find the bass to be a bit farty. Some basic EQ will fix that easily though as you are EQ'ing down and not adding distortion at all by doing this. Hope you enjoy them and I hope they are real lol. They will sound like crap though without burn in as mine took about 220 hours of continuous burn in to sound good when compared to my IE8s.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 102
Then they may be to your liking after all. You may find the bass to be a bit farty. Some basic EQ will fix that easily though as you are EQ'ing down and not adding distortion at all by doing this. Hope you enjoy them and I hope they are real lol. They will sound like crap though without burn in as mine took about 220 hours of continuous burn in to sound good when compared to my IE8s.

I do hope they're real! I'll be quite disappointed otherwise. What do you mean when you say 'farty'? :D

Also, my current source is perhaps not the best (Galaxy S II) so do you think it would at all be worth investing in something like a Sansa Clip+ or would the difference be fairly minor?

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 102

Quote:
I do hope they're real! I'll be quite disappointed otherwise. What do you mean when you say 'farty'?
biggrin.gif

Also, my current source is perhaps not the best (Galaxy S II) so do you think it would at all be worth investing in something like a Sansa Clip+ or would the difference be fairly minor?

The Clip+ would be better than the Galaxy S I'm sure. Its decently cheap as well. When I say farty I mean the bass can be a bit loose. Kinda like comparing bass to a dry or wet fart and the IE7 can get a bit wet lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back