Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones
Dec 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #76 of 89
Quote:
Yes, Tuesday Morning has been selling these at this price for a few months now. I initially went with a pair thinking it was a great deal. However, the headphones didn't work out so well for me. I had expected a better outcome regarding the sound. To me, the bass wasn't very good - then again, I might be jaded from owning HifiMAN HE-400s. So, in my case, then ended up getting returned. There are times when I realize what I'm happy with, but as to why I keep venturing out and opening my wallet may not be one of the best moves that I make.
Others have indicated using the Audio Technica M50 ear pads make the sound better. However, I looked at the situation of a $50 dollar headphone and then tossing in more money just to get improved sound. It was at that point, I decided to proceed with a return.

I don't understand how the bass can considered bad, just yesterday I was listening to a song by Olive and the bass was so good that I could have sworn there was a subwoofer strapped to my head. I could feel the bass and it was amazing, I seriously had an image of a subwoofer cone moving in and out it sounded so good. I'm not using any mods whatsoever and I was listening off my iPod touch 3g with no amp. But, I will also make the disclaimer that these and my Nuforce NE-7m are the only quality headphones I have ever used. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #77 of 89
Quote:
I don't understand how the bass can considered bad, just yesterday I was listening to a song by Olive and the bass was so good that I could have sworn there was a subwoofer strapped to my head. I could feel the bass and it was amazing, I seriously had an image of a subwoofer cone moving in and out it sounded so good. I'm not using any mods whatsoever and I was listening off my iPod touch 3g with no amp. But, I will also make the disclaimer that these and my Nuforce NE-7m are the only quality headphones I have ever used. 

You've probably been convinced by the quantity of the subbass, not the quality. Once you've listened to more headphones, the difference should become clear.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

You've probably been convinced by the quantity of the subbass, not the quality. Once you've listened to more headphones, the difference should become clear.

Hmmm, I generally don't like bass which is one of the reasons I picked this HP. According to Tdock these HPs are more focused on mids which is how I used to skew my equalizer when I played with those settings ages ago. To me these HP's separate the highs/mids/lows very accurately which really helps to emphasize them better in music. But this is just my opinion and you obviously had a bad experience with them, so.., to each their own.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #79 of 89
While the TBSE's didn't fit my needs, it doesn't mean that the headphones are not good headphones.  Fortunately, I had purchased mine locally from Tuesday Morning and was able to return them within the return window and not lose a dime.  Mail order would have been a different story with postage costs.

When it comes to bass, I prefer the likes of the HifiMAN HE-400s as well as my Tiesto K617s from AKG.  The layers of bass, and sub-bass are very present, and in a quality manner.  I also have modified Fostex headphones.  For bass, I can say that it has bass, and the bass is present.  Yet, the Fostex isn't quite as capable at separating the bass like the HE-400s and the Tiesto K167.  Again, that's just my perspective.

With that said, the TBSE, at $49.99 is an amazing bargain.  At $149.99, or the retail level of price that they were at, it would have been a hard stretch to open the wallet and pay the price for what was being offered.  Plus, I don't think I can fairly compare headphones that I have, which cost more than the TBSE and then throw stones at what the TBSE can or can't deliver.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #80 of 89
Quote:
Hmmm, I generally don't like bass which is one of the reasons I picked this HP. According to Tdock these HPs are more focused on mids which is how I used to skew my equalizer when I played with those settings ages ago. To me these HP's separate the highs/mids/lows very accurately which really helps to emphasize them better in music. But this is just my opinion and you obviously had a bad experience with them, so.., to each their own.

It's not that I've had a bad experience with the TBSE1s, but I wouldn't say the subbass itself is top-notch.

Like wje said, the bass and subbass by themselves should also have layers, which the TBSE1 usually homogenizes into one sound.

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #81 of 89
That's funny, I think the DJ100/TB has some of the best bass I've heard. It certainly isn't because it has more quantity. It has better low bass extension and better bass overall than my HD-650. That's not saying much though, since the 650's bass doesn't have as good low bass extension as some other similarly priced headphones. The DJ100 might seem bass light to some because it doesn't have that much of a mid-bass hump. With stock and Pro700 MKII pads there is somewhat, but not like the MDR-V6 (which is super annoying).

The bass on the DJ100 to me sounds just slightly above neutral. Very slightly emphasized. Less so with M50 pads.

There's stuff I can pick up on my DJ100 that barely registers on my Q701 and HD-600. The 650 does slightly better, at least this pair.

The bass on the DJ100 definitely improves (IMO) with a good desktop amp and DAC. It loves my ODAC.

The DJ100 can often sound worse in the bass when using a darker amp. Sometimes it's not as good with a very warm source. The DJ100 doesn't need to be any warmer!

The bass on my HD-650 is so similar in quantity to my DJ100. This 650 sounds also like it has very very slightly above neutral bass, but slightly less than the DJ100. My 650 seems to sound like the inner fidelity graph, but sounds like it has a slight peak in the upper mids. A tiny one. Weird huh? NOTE: My last two 650s had bloated bass. So my new HD-650 is much different. I haven't found out why.

The DJ100's bass is also extremely well controlled (without an amp, it's often a bit sloppier). HD-650 is a bit better in this area.

IMO if a 5/10 was considered neutral bass, i'd give the DJ100 about a rating of 6.5/10. Most definitely not bass heavy. It's not going to magically make songs bassier than they should. Maybe a just a tiny bit more, but just barely.

Oh yeah, IMO the KRK KNS-8400 have very similar amounts of low bass to my ears. Yet some seem to think the KRK 8400 is bass light. I think it often sounds that way past the low bass frequencies (except for some upper bass).

The 8400 and DJ100 have the most present low-bass out of any other headphone I own. No, it's no subwoofer-like bass monster! It's just there like it should be.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #82 of 89
I don't want anyone to get the impression that I was claiming my TBSE were some awesome bass headphones, I think it may have come across that way. The best way I can describe it is that songs sound more 'accurate'? Than I have ever noticed before. So when I was listening to the song I mentioned earlier the electronic drums were more present than I've ever noticed and it was awesome. Like I was hearing the song the way it was meant to be.

Apr 4, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #83 of 89
TBSE and standard 100's sound quite different. TBSE has elevated high frequencies in comparison to the 100.

However, TBSE doesn't hold up well in comparison to an open headphone. I A/Bed the TBSE with Koss Portapros. Portapros just destroy the TBSE.

The TBSE sounds pretty nice overall, but I just can't get over the 'listening in a chamber' effect when using the TBSE's. Sounds bounce around inside the cup and linger far longer than they should. If you enjoy the prospect of going to a concert on the floor of the grand canyon, these should appeal to you, however. :) jk

Overall, solid, but the echo/slow sound decay is a notable demerit. A B-, or maybe B--.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #84 of 89
Here's my update on the Tony Bennett's:

I agree with Tyll describing them as ''papery'' sounding,they may be fabulous for digital use,but not analog. The vocals sounded as though someone was singing through a rag.

I'm a vinyl fanatic who hasn't owned nor played a Compact Disc in years My Koss Pro 4aa's blew these out of the water with a much forward midrange,and exceedingly better bass. I know many jeer this model [the Pro4aa's] for it's antiquated puke green color and bulky design,but remain my altime favorite cans
I ended up selling them [The Tony Bennett's] on EBay for $10 less than what I paid new.

I'm not an advocate of headphone ''burn in'',I think this is all hype with the exception of electrostatics. I waited a long time to buy the Tony Bennett's,and was greatly disappointed.
triportsad.gif

http://cleaningvinyllps.blogspot.com/

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #85 of 89
I own the Pro DJ 100 (sounds the same or at least very similar).
I agree on the "chamber effect" or echo... or what else. I don't know how to call it but it ruins the bass.
But the real deal breaker are the vocals and the mids in general.
Vocals sound like the singer has the flu and sings under an umbrella or something. Timbre is terrible (or nonexistent).
I highly suspect the production quality is not consistent though because they have some fanbase.
I find the treble OK and they make a good portable headphone.
Plus, they look really cool. Love it.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #86 of 89
  Here's my update on the Tony Bennett's:

I agree with Tyll describing them as ''papery'' sounding,they may be fabulous for digital use,but not analog. The vocals sounded as though someone was singing through a rag.

I'm a vinyl fanatic who hasn't owned nor played a Compact Disc in years My Koss Pro 4aa's blew these out of the water with a much forward midrange,and exceedingly better bass. I know many jeer this model [the Pro4aa's] for it's antiquated puke green color and bulky design,but remain my altime favorite cans
I ended up selling them [The Tony Bennett's] on EBay for $10 less than what I paid new.

I'm not an advocate of headphone ''burn in'',I think this is all hype with the exception of electrostatics. I waited a long time to buy the Tony Bennett's,and was greatly disappointed.
triportsad.gif

Usually when this is the case it's either a poor source, weak amp, gear that's too warm sounding or it's the recording itself. Some music sounds really muffled in the recording and even my HD-650/Q701 doesn't pick up on this as well as my DJ100/TBSE. The stock pads limit the sound somewhat, so most likely stock pads  combined with a warmer sounding source is what caused this. Makes sense.

The TBSE/DJ100 seems to hate warmer sounding gear in most cases. Often it can sound congested with warm sounding gear and stock pads. Not always and depends on a lot of different things.I prefer M50 pads because it makes them a little less warm, less congested sounding and seems to give me the impression of a larger soundstage.

So far the warmest device I've liked with the DJ100 is the Clip+ and that only has a touch of warmth..

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #87 of 89
  I own the Pro DJ 100 (sounds the same or at least very similar).
I agree on the "chamber effect" or echo... or what else. I don't know how to call it but it ruins the bass.
But the real deal breaker are the vocals and the mids in general.
Vocals sound like the singer has the flu and sings under an umbrella or something. Timbre is terrible (or nonexistent).
I highly suspect the production quality is not consistent though because they have some fanbase.
I find the treble OK and they make a good portable headphone.
Plus, they look really cool. Love it.

Sounds like you had a lemon. If mine sounded like this I would have returned it. It's true that there may be variations in pairs. The upper mids sound a little forward but actually probably less so than the Q701.
The low mids are a little forward too, but less than upper mids. They don't sound any more forward than those of my HD-650/Q701. With the right pads they're just very accurate.
Basically the entire headphone sounds VERY neutral to me. Better low bass extension than the modded Q701/HD-650, very close to neutral low mids and slightly emphasized upper mids.
The treble is comparable to the HD-650, but probably has more upper treble. Treble can sound veiled/harsh depending on recordings.
Sounds like your criticizing the headphone when it's probably all the recording's fault
confused_face.gif
Actually I was thinking the singer WAS actually singing under an umbrella AND did have the flu
biggrin.gif

With my setup the DJ100 sound varies depending on recording as much as the modded Q701. Pretty impressive.

If you get a veiled sound, it's either A) Bad headphone, B) not enough power/weak or too warm source C) bad recording. Stock pads also limit the sound a little.

With O2/Micro Amp and Modi/ODAC the sound is as crystal clear as you can get with M50 pads. HD-650/modded Q701 and TBSE are on the same level basically minus the soundstage.

All my music sounds nearly the same and not much "off" or colored.

How does one get non-existent Timbre?

Oh and I almost never suggest the DJ100 with portable devices. I also rarely suggest them with warm sounding equipment. Mostly transparent amps like the O2, Micro Amp. E9 and Magni were OK, but those seem to have some minor coloration.

BTW closest match to the DJ100/TBSE at it's best is the modded Q701 (bassier/fuller sounding mids than stock!) mixed in a little with the HD-650. DJ100 still has more low bass than both and fuller mids than the modded Q701.

Modded Q701 might finally top the DJ100 (with M50 pads) as a favorite. DJ100 just does a few things better. Just a little more low-bass and fuller mids.

There's actually stuff on the DJ100 I can't hear on the Q701/HD-650.

EDIT: LOL I was thinking the sound on closed headphones could just vary dramatically due to ear size. Maybe the DJ100 is one example
normal_smile .gif
Nope. I'm not going to try to prove this!
It is interesting how the more open the DJ100 headphone pads are you get more treble and less bass.

Maybe smaller ears = more treble and less bass, larger ears = more congested sound that's warmer/bassier. The distance between the driver and your ear plays a huge role too.

Some people love SRH-440/840 pads but others don't. Maybe such things are why. 840 pads made the bass non-existent and gave me way too much treble.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #88 of 89
I was running them on a Yamaha 300 watt amp,at first I thought it was a question of burn in,but after a month,no improvement. While listening to Stevie Nick's Bella Donna on vinyl,sounded like Stevie was singing through a cloth,somewhat muffled. I believe anolog is exceedingly better than digital [the cassette tape is even making a comeback,I jest you not!,lol] no contest there.

I put my Pro 4aas back on,what a relief,lol. The Bennett's are now discontinued,had a long talk with a tech at Koss who also agreed the Pro 4 aa's sounded better. It was an experience,but definitely not worth the wait for these.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #89 of 89
I was running them on a Yamaha 300 watt amp,at first I thought it was a question of burn in,but after a month,no improvement. While listening to Stevie Nick's Bella Donna on vinyl,sounded like Stevie was singing through a cloth,somewhat muffled. I believe anolog is exceedingly better than digital [the cassette tape is even making a comeback,I jest you not!,lol] no contest there.

I put my Pro 4aas back on,what a relief,lol. The Bennett's are now discontinued,had a long talk with a tech at Koss who also agreed the Pro 4 aa's sounded better. It was an experience,but definitely not worth the wait for these.

Stevie singing through a cloth?
Beady Belle singing under an umbrella for me.
Sounds like you had a lemon too. Bad luck. I feel you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back