Tomahawk or XIN Super micro
Mar 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 68
I have dealt with both Ray and Xin and though Xin's communication leaves much to be desired I have found them both to be very honest. Saying that someone could do something based on no facts about that person is not responsible.

I would like to own both amps.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 68
There have been a spate of posts by purported New York City residents that culminate in making me feel embarrassed being a New Yorker - something that has never happened to me before.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been a spate of posts by purported New York City residents that culminate in making me feel embarrassed being a New Yorker - something that has never happened to me before.

cry me a river.

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #19 of 68
Maybe you guys should be a little more empathetic, and realize that Dr. Xin is partly responsible for customer's frustration! In any business the customer comes first, and just providing SOME type of CS would alleviate a lot of these feelings. Whether Xin's portables are the best or not, it doesn't give him the right to handle customers "any kind of way" especially when people's hard earned money is at stake.

It's ironic, I've watched Ray and Tyll go ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty to help people feel relaxed and confident in their products (the opposite end of the spectrum), and they BOTH produce quality products!

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #20 of 68
xin's cs has been discussed to death already...

i have the th and currently waiting for the supermicro. i think my th is 300-350 hours burned in and the bass really kicked in. pretty amazing stuff. let's see what the micro can do when i get it. glad to have the th while i wait forever for the xin amp.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 68
I think I will take davederecks advice and get the Tomahawk first and then order the Xin super micro and see which one I like. I already asked Ray a couple of questions and he was very helpful. I do like a bigger soundstage so the super may do it, but like I said the tomahawk sounded good to me, of course I think the e500s sound O.K straight from the nanos HD jack.

Thank you for the replies and advice, I didn't mean to start a war between the 2 amps
biggrin.gif
. I already knew Xins amps take a long time to ship( from reading other posts).

Thanks again, now back to SUP COM !!!

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 68
I'm now have my 3rd Xin on order and have no problem with him - when it comes, it will come.............and the headphones I have on order (expensive to some) I already know they will take at least 10 weeks before they arrive - same thing - when they come............ I have seen those ridiculously immature anti-Xin threads\ and expressed at the time, my feelings about the juvenile hehavior that was exhibited by the several of the posters(and inaction of particular moderators). Either you believe you can trust the vendor to deliver an examplar to the industry or not - if not, go where you think there is a superior product or vendor. You have no reason to imply any potential of fraud or other accusations, when there has never been so much as a whiff of impropriety. Just look at post #18 - another examplar of our current Head-Fi. Proud?

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #23 of 68
Seems like when in doubt go with the guy who can deliver the goods, esp since both amps seem pretty outstanding.

I sent Ray a check and got my Tomahawk delivered within a week. Plus he gave me a military discount. Couldn't ask for more...RC

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm now have my 3rd Xin on order and have no problem with him - when it comes, it will come.............and the headphones I have on order (expensive to some) I already know they will take at least 10 weeks before they arrive - same thing - when they come............ I have seen those ridiculously immature anti-Xin threads\ and expressed at the time, my feelings about the juvenile hehavior that was exhibited by the several of the posters(and inaction of particular moderators). Either you believe you can trust the vendor to deliver an examplar to the industry or not - if not, go where you think there is a superior product or vendor. You have no reason to imply any potential of fraud or other accusations, when there has never been so much as a whiff of impropriety. Just look at post #18 - another examplar of our current Head-Fi. Proud?

Hey, in regards to #18 my response was right on target with his/hers. I just used less words.

You guys are WAY too...picky. The last word is not what I would choose to use, but I would hate to offend even more people. This IS a forum. Just because it is negative towards your beloved Dr Xin you come up with words that are even more off target than mine were.

Back to the first sentence of the last paragraph. I wish I had come to realize that a lot earlier. I've wasted a lot of money because I thought something would suit me better. I must admit I did enjoy every bit of it. But, the majority of the comments on all this gear are all OPINION and clearly most here are looking for something different than I. Well, a hobby is a hobby. I should've understood that and judged accordingly.

I want good, fun sound. I found it for the most part. Custom Es2 and a nano. I certainly can NOT tell a difference with a fancy amp and even fancier dock under most conditions.

Now I just lurk and raise ruckus occasionally(accidentally)

forum |ˈfôrəm| noun ( pl. forums ) 1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to own both amps.

Me too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This IS a forum. Just because it is negative towards your beloved Dr Xin you come up with words that are even more off target than mine were.

I think the problem lies in the fact that you implied that Xin might disapear one day and run off with people's money. The only evidence you cited for this was some other eccentric genius in the bicycle industry ran off without fulfilling orders and that Xin could do the same. One had nothing to do with another and despite the fact that Xin may not answer emails immediately there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that he would ever take anyone's money.

Perhaps I'm a bit guilty of derailing this thread in the first place. I only wanted to point out that Xin and Ray have completely different approaches to amp building and that sometimes people can end up a bit dissatisfied with Xin's amps, not because they aren't good, but because new versions seem to come out very quickly, like software patches. If you don't have the latest one you feel like you're not quite up to snuff.

I never meant to imply in any way that Xin is not honest. I've had some dealings with him. I've owned three of his amps and will probably end up owning another one one day. He's sent me prototypes to bring to meets. He's always answered my emails. I have no reason to believe he is anything but an upstanding citizen despite my belief that his business model leaves something to be desired.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 68
While Xin does have a poor record on responding to emails I have never known of anyone that continues to uprgradd for free the way he does. I have even seen second and third hand amps upgraded for free. He has repaired units that were ruined by improper use by the owner for nothing. He has very distinct crontrasts but I have always been amazed by the way he will uprgrade and repair (non warranty related) giving a pretty big bang for the buck.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by RCM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like when in doubt go with the guy who can deliver the goods, esp since both amps seem pretty outstanding.

I sent Ray a check and got my Tomahawk delivered within a week. Plus he gave me a military discount. Couldn't ask for more...RC

how much was that???
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xin's cs has been discussed to death already...

i have the th and currently waiting for the supermicro. i think my th is 300-350 hours burned in and the bass really kicked in. pretty amazing stuff. let's see what the micro can do when i get it. glad to have the th while i wait forever for the xin amp.

You'll probably hear your TH continue to mature gradually over the next couple of hundred hours. After being surprised that my Hornet continued to improve from 350 to 400 hours (where it pretty much stabilized), I was shocked to hear my TH continue improving from 500-600 hours.

I've seen some posts stating more changes beyond that, but mine seems to have stabilized by 600 hours (absurd as that already seems!).

BTW - I'd love to hear a SuperMicro. Maybe I'll get lucky at HeadFest.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #30 of 68
yeah it's like the bass just came out of nowhere!! so what should i expect out of my th in the 350-450 hour range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back