Tomahawk or XIN Super micro
Mar 18, 2007 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

abitdeef

Formerly known as ihatepopupads
Headphoneus Supremus
Well thats it in a nutshell, I am ready to pull the trigger on another amp for my nano. I got to try my friends tomahawk for a week and I really liked the sound and build quality. I just want some more opinions on these two amps before I purchase one.

My rig will be the nano with e500s and sound quality is number one priority! (of course). I don't care about wait times, battery life, ect. ect.

Thanks,

Scott.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 68
Well since you tried the Tomahawk, I'd say just get that one. I mean you liked it when you listened to it. Also what if you don't the Micro and have to sell it, which will be many weeks later, just get the Toma and get it over with, you'll be enjoying music sooner.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 68
order a tomahawk today and you should have it by midweek (unless you want a different color?). it seems to take over 500hrs to burn in so let the thing play continuously. while all that's going on you order a xin now. by the time it arrives your th will have burned in. then you can do a proper comparison and see which you like better and decide whether you want to keep either or both. you'll have no problem selling either at a good price.
cool.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 68
I've never owned the Tomahawk but spent quite a bit of quality time with it and my UM2s at a recent meet. I haven't heard any of the latest Xin amps but was a regular customer of Xin's beginning with a very early version of the SuperMini up until the 2nd or 3rd version of the SuperMacro. I love the sound of the Tomahawk and always enjoyed the Xin products I've owned. At this point I don't own either a Xin or RSA amp so take what I say with a grain of salt, and please, don't think I'm flaming or endording either product. I'm just stating my observations.

Sound quality aside, I would go with the RSA amp. The fit and finish of the Xin amps I've had always seemed a bit rough, whereas RSA amps are always professionally built and are examples of true craftsmanship. When the Xin SuperMini was under $100 with a student discount the Xin amps represented a tremendous bargain. Now that they're over $300 I'm not sure they are up to snuff.

On top of that, it seems like when Xin releases a new version of his amps it almost renders his older version obsolete. He sometimes offers an upgrad path, but not always, and it involves sending your amp in for service. I'm not quite sure why, but when a new version of a Xin amp comes out, it causes the previous versions to depreciate faster (well I know why but it's not really that logical - the new version doesn't make the old version sound any worse).

On the other hand, once RSA releases an amp it is a finished product and does not require any newer version or modification. RSA's first "portable" amp, the XP7, is still in production and still has its place. This helps the products maintain their resale value.

In terms of sound quality I think both products have a lot to offer. My previous SuperMacro has a very immedate and impactful sound. The new versions are said to have the "tube-alike" sound but I haven't heard them. The Tomahawk also seems to be a very upfront amp, whereas the Hornet and SR-71 seem to be a bit more expansive in sound with bigger soundstage. From my memory, the Tomahawk and SuperMacro seemed fairly similar in presentation.

The difference between the Xin and RSA amps is more a matter of taste more than one being better than the other. If you're not too concerned with the possibility of your amp being considered obsolete in a relatively short period of time, I don't think you can go wrong with either amp. I'd also go with something you've heard and liked if at all possible. Auditions are always key and no two sets of ears are the same.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 68
Since you stated in your post that your main consideration is sound quality, and I own both of these amps, as well as E 500s, I would tell you to get the micro. This is on pure sound quality grounds. The micro has a larger soundstage and is a bit smoother and more open sounding, not that the Tomahawk doesn't sound good on its own, but the xin sounds a little better IMHO.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 68
Actually my personal experience witn XIn amps is somewhat defferent than Erikzen. I owned a Supermini III last year and sold it very readily - and I also got my price. That amp was not depreciated. I only sold it because, at first Xin was not going to do his free upgrading on the III to IV.......he changed his mind later, and now III's can become near-IV's. Had I known beforehand, I wouldn't have sold the amp. I'd have chosen to tread the upgrade path. IMO both of these makers get the job done! The two aspects that should be considered are what 'phones you will be using and which DAP. I have found the size of the Supermini IV works very well for me with my Nano - both are thin and Supermini is 1/8" wider than Nano, (becomes a cable shelf/protector of sorts) and shorter than Nano - so I polyband it to locate amp under portion of Nano at screen (some measure of bend protection). The whole thing fits very nicely in my average shirt pocket...........I tend to use Etymotics, and Xin has used those as part of his design parameters (Impedence switch,, bassboost, and crossfeed)............whereas Ray often has his eyes on Senns. Both have excellent battery usage. So, since you already have (and I'm assuming, enjoy) your E500 that could be the real deciding factor......not any of this other stuff. Sure you can switch opamps around much the same as people with tube amps experiment around to find their best combination - but, are YOU interested in doing it? Only you know the answer.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 68
I would suggest that you go with the one you know and already enjoy and can get immediately from RSA. I am pretty sure that Ray used the E500 when developing the TH.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Xin's CS sucks. Personally, I don't think anyone should give someone like that business.

It hasn't happened yet, but I'd not be surprised if he just disappeared with your money.

Lets see, he does not answer emails and takes a long time to deliver on the amps. True. On the other hand he upgrades amps that are 2 and 3 years old to the point of making them the same as the very latest of his offerings for free. Heck you do not have to be the original owner to receive the free upgrades. How many other vendors do that?

As far as your second comment it is uncalled for and you simply are trying to inflame the situation w/o any basis. You are simply showing your ignorance.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 68
It's cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back