Todd the vinyl Junkie audiophile show... WARNING: Lots of pics added
Feb 19, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
I have no idea why when I am on the go in any town or city, I feel like eating breakfast, I never eat breakfast at home but black coffee only. So I try to make up for the months that I have never had eggs & sausage or bacon.
I had the same problem in Florida, we were staying in this fancy hotel that served out of this world waffeles & other goodys but had no eggs for breakfast. You know what happened at SCal meet with gpalmer & every body else. From now on I will be carrying my eggs, 2 dozens, with me when I travel.
The first day at three forks we all went to this nice bakery kind a place that makes all king of paistry & bake bread with all kind of sandwiches, but they had only immitation eggs, that was one sikinning sandwitch.
The next morning I promised my self to have real eggs & as many as I can eat with bacon & sausage. The waitress comes for the order, I said 6 eggs, 10 sausage & ten bacon please. She said are you sure, that is a big breakfast, I said try me, boy was I wrong, I thought I am having those small sausages links that are served in Chicago, but these, each was bigger than italian sausage, The bacon was thick & long, I got scared, I did share 5 of my sausages & five of the bacons with others, but end up eating my 6 eggs, 5 sausage & 5 bacons. The bill was 23.00 dollars + 5 dollars tip. That was the most expensive breakfast I had in the smallest town I have been in. I never had lunch or dinner that day until the next morning.
I know if I go back to Three Forks, they will have signs on the windows saying we are out of eggs, or they have to make their chicken work overtime.
Can you believe it, they wrote about my breakfast in their news paper. WOW.....
Ray Samuels

Ray, I can't go anywhere near that hotel or the barbecue place because of you. You and Wayne have your pictures on the wall in Scrubby's Barbecue with red lines through them.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #47 of 64
Ray knows volume; be it audio or breakfast! You da man!!!
CPW

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
I have no idea why when I am on the go in any town or city, I feel like eating breakfast, I never eat breakfast at home but black coffee only. So I try to make up for the months that I have never had eggs & sausage or bacon.
I had the same problem in Florida, we were staying in this fancy hotel that served out of this world waffeles & other goodys but had no eggs for breakfast. You know what happened at SCal meet with gpalmer & every body else. From now on I will be carrying my eggs, 2 dozens, with me when I travel.
The first day at three forks we all went to this nice bakery kind a place that makes all king of paistry & bake bread with all kind of sandwiches, but they had only immitation eggs, that was one sikinning sandwitch.
The next morning I promised my self to have real eggs & as many as I can eat with bacon & sausage. The waitress comes for the order, I said 6 eggs, 10 sausage & ten bacon please. She said are you sure, that is a big breakfast, I said try me, boy was I wrong, I thought I am having those small sausages links that are served in Chicago, but these, each was bigger than italian sausage, The bacon was thick & long, I got scared, I did share 5 of my sausages & five of the bacons with others, but end up eating my 6 eggs, 5 sausage & 5 bacons. The bill was 23.00 dollars + 5 dollars tip. That was the most expensive breakfast I had in the smallest town I have been in. I never had lunch or dinner that day until the next morning.
I know if I go back to Three Forks, they will have signs on the windows saying we are out of eggs, or they have to make their chicken work overtime.
Can you believe it, they wrote about my breakfast in their news paper. WOW.....
Ray Samuels

Ray you do breakfest with PANACHE..hehe

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 64
Todd,
Well I made it. Scott from Three Forks. I am now in the Head Fi. You guys sucked me in.
First I would like to thank Todd for bringing one of the greatest hobbies to this little Poe-Dunk town of TF. It's hard to get people to understand that we can have as much money into our theater or two channel set-ups as they do in their whole house. Todd gave us that oppurtunity to express What an Audiophile is. Todd, it was a pleasure to help you with the show. I hope it was successful enough to merit the 2nd annual. You know I'll be there, barring any unforseen events.
Second, thanks to the "Out of Towners" for making the trip. Scott,Ray,Fred,Billy,Jeff,Tom, and Mike from Meridian. I hope your stay with the Cowboys and Indians of Montana was an enjoyable one. Jeff, I'm not sure if I want to thank you for getting me hooked on the headphone thing. Just one more place to spend GOBS of money. Really, it was nice to spend the last part of your stay with you.
A special thanks to Fred. I really took to heart the conversations we had, whether it was Audio, Business, Military, or Ray. Funny, funny stories. You are a true friend.

Scott

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ster
Well I made it. Scott from Three Forks. I am now in the Head Fi. You guys sucked me in.
Scott

Welcome to Head-Fi Scott! You're one rare member with his nice reputation preceding him. Not only you helped the event on location, for the lucky ones who could attend, but you contributed to our general enjoyment all over the planet. Not a small achievement. Thanks and, as usual, sorry for your wallet...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Ray knows volume; be it audio or breakfast! You da man!!!
CPW

Don't forget about his motor mouth, always on a high volume setting, chatting away about this, that, and the other thing...
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ster
Todd,
Second, thanks to the "Out of Towners" for making the trip. Scott,Ray,Fred,Billy,Jeff,Tom, and Mike from Meridian.

Scott

Scott --

No, thank YOU! You made our out of town experience absolutely perfect.
Thank you for your extensive gratitude both at breakfast and at dinner.
Those ribs tie with Corkey's in Memphis as the best ribs I have ever had.
That honey mustard was unique -- but, nonetheless, done perfectly!
biggrin.gif

Again, thank you! We loved those Meridian speakers... You must get them.
biggrin.gif

But the question is, will you let your daughter use THOSE? I don't know...
wink.gif

We saw you for three days and it felt as if we had known you forever.
Great times were had and good luck to you in all of your future endeavors.

If you ever near Atlanta, GA or Long Island, NY -- drop me a line here!
I really hope to see you again in the future, you truly made it great!

-- The other Scott

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #54 of 64
I estimate the equipment to be well over 250K. The speakers alone were over 112K. Sources came to over 75K and phono cartridges were over $12K. Cables were high too - the Nordost cable alone were about 20K and Cardas cables had to be about the same. There was a lot more Cardas! Amps - EAR 4.5K, Meridian G57 4K, Pass Labs 350.5 - 9.5K - plus preamps, headphone amps and headphones, Stands. It was probably more like 300K... next year you will have to come out and add it up for yourself!

So I am interested to hear from the Head-Fiers that were there what setup they liked best. Some impressions on the New Raptor and Meier amps. What would you like to see there next year? Are you coming back for round 2 of High End in Montana? Anyone else interested in next years event?

Todd

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
I estimate the equipment to be well over 250K. The speakers alone were over 112K. Sources came to over 75K and phono cartridges were over $12K. Cables were high too - the Nordost cable alone were about 20K and Cardas cables had to be about the same. There was a lot more Cardas! Amps - EAR 4.5K, Meridian G57 4K, Pass Labs 350.5 - 9.5K - plus preamps, headphone amps and headphones, Stands. It was probably more like 300K... next year you will have to come out and add it up for yourself!

So I am interested to hear from the Head-Fiers that were there what setup they liked best. Some impressions on the New Raptor and Meier amps. What would you like to see there next year? Are you coming back for round 2 of High End in Montana? Anyone else interested in next years event?

Todd

Todd --

My favorite non-speaker setups BY FAR were the following:

Meridian G08 --> Emmeline Raptor --> Equinox'ed HD-650
The Nordost Blue Heavens did a magnificent job here, as well.

Roksan Radial 5 TT --> Sophia EL84 --> AKG K1000's
The Cardas Neutral References were amazing in this setup.

The Eartube is a great tube alternative to the Prehead, in my opinion.
The only problem was that the crossfeed was not that big of a difference.
I would take the Emmeline Raptor over it any day, though. IT IS GOOD!

My favorite speakers were, as everyone could tell, the Meridians...
Maybe I am just saying that because we burned their test discs.
biggrin.gif

What would I like to see there new year? Electrostatic headphones/amps!
Will I be there next year for Round Two? I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Another recommendation: have separate rooms for speakers and headphones.

But regardless, it was fantastic and thank you to everyone whom made it possible.

BANGPOD

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #56 of 64
I'd love to come next year as long as it isn't w/in 2 wks of a Chicago meet like this year. My wife will probably only tolerate one Head-Fi related trip/ year unless it happens while she's away visiting the "homeland". Then I only have to worry about the dog and cats!
CPW

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #58 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
What would you like to see there next year? Are you coming back for round 2 of High End in Montana? Anyone else interested in next years event?

Todd

I am definitely interested in making it out next year. Would have gone this year but unfortunately work got in the way.

Feb 27, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #59 of 64
Todd said:

Todd,

You can certainly count me in for next year, it was great event. The Meier amp was very nice, but the new Raptor sounded sensational. Ray has, I think, cornered the market for the ultimate tube sound available in that price range. He should be extremely proud of that amp, it rocks.
As for the speakers based systems there is certainly some commentary worh making. The Pass speakers were absolutely prodigious reproducing bass were extremely dynamic in every regard, and that system sounded wonderful. I'm honestly not a vinyl guy, so its hard for me to be more specific than to say that the system in question provided very, very high quality sound. That turntable is a work of art, I simply dont have the knowledge in vinyl and vinyl playback systems to adequately compare and contrast.

The "mid range" system based around those exceptional German Sehring speakers was such a pleasure to listen to. It got right to the heart of the music, and everything was portrayed note for note, as the recording intended. Either with the G08, or the FatBob turntable, this system would be the one that I would want to listen to, day in and day out, so natural, so spacious, so lacking in fatigue. It just effortlessly reproduced the music as purely music. I'm sure that the brilliant G08, and Ray's new world class phono stage had a big part in that, but again, I dont know vinyl reproduction so I lack the expertise to apply a rating to it. Certainly his ultimate build quality and the flexibility it offers would make it worth auditioning for those reasons alone, for anyone seeking truly high end vinyl reproduction.

And now on to the Meridian System. These were simply the most dynamic, exciting speakers that I've heard. In a far less than optimal setting (ultra high ceilings, completely open huge room, etc) the speed, impact, and level of detail were astonishing. This entire system, was spectacular. Almost overwhelmingly so, and I mean that as sincere praise. If I had the finances to allow it (which sadly, I dont, and likely never will) and I wanted to put together a system that I could audition for people on a daily basis that would literally leave their mouths open in stunned disbelief, this would be it.
If I was of the required wealthy status to do so, I also suspect that five of the DSP8000's would make for the worlds finest audio experience in a home theater setting. The dynamics of that system would absolutely stun people experiencing it.

JC

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #60 of 64
I had forgotten to mention one last thing. I was fortunate enough to win one of the drawings and received a Slappa CD case. This is an extremely well built and designed case. Until now, I hadnt found anything that I was truly satisfied with in this category. Problem solved, Slappa rocks, and will have my business, and that of anyone I know after this. Very high quality stuff, obviously designed and made by people who understand and care. Highly recommended!

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back