Todd the vinyl Junkie audiophile show... WARNING: Lots of pics added
Feb 15, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #31 of 64
Wow, looks like you guys had a blast!

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
When I walked up to this cop and asked to take a pic with her she replied... "Sure baby,anything for you. You sure that's all you want?" I did'nt know what to think and when the rest of the gang walked up she never stopped smiling. I did'nt say anything then(to the guys) cause I was really embarrassed that I kinda insulted her before I walked over. She was very friendly as were all the folks in Montana.

Tuberoller --

Let us not forget about the vulgar response you elicited from said cop.
wink.gif

If I heard another sandal or short-sleeved t-shirt comment, I swear...
biggrin.gif

But overall, what a great time! Top honors go to Scott and Todd, of course!
A gun shop morality check, a huge breakfast, and a couple of high school girls later...
I don't know where Ray would fit into the top honors list after this weekend! Just kidding, Ray!
I wish Scott was on Head-Fi... What a great person! And such great ribs!

Thank you Todd for dealing with us and for driving us (i.e., me) around!
wink.gif

Great people, great food, and great gear!

Impressions to follow sometime this week...

BANGPOD

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD

biggrin.gif

Yes but isn't ice I see in the back....

threeforksmeetlarge099.jpg

You must have Viking blood....
biggrin.gif

The pics of Todd's living room are simply fantastic....Seriously, you were so lucky.

Amicalement

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
The pics of Todd's living room are simply fantastic....Seriously, you were so lucky.

Living room? Thats his living room? More like ball room.

Looked fun wish I could have made it

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Tuberoller --

Let us not forget about the vulgar response you elicited from said cop.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

But overall, what a great time! Top honors go to Scott and Todd, of course!
A gun shop morality check, a huge breakfast, and a couple of high school girls later...
I don't know where Ray would fit into the top honors list after this weekend! Just kidding, Ray!
I wish Scott was on Head-Fi... What a great person! And such great ribs!

Thank you Todd for dealing with us and for driving us (i.e., me) around!
wink.gif

Great people, great food, and great gear!

Impressions to follow sometime this week...

BANGPOD

Yeah,that cop was something else. Not really my type but I bet she knows how to enjoy herself.

Scott(from Montana) gets my vote as the very nicest person I've met in a loooong time. What a guy. I really can't think of anything more he could have done to help us and Todd out. He was literally everywhere doing everything for everybody. Being a soldier, he understands the meaning of deep friendships and why they are so important. I know so many folks that are quick to call you a "friend" but have no real grasp of that concept. Scott is the type of person who has life-long friends and values those relationships over all material things. Thanks buddy,a million times over.

Todd did a hell of a job and I expect this will put Three Forks on the high-end map in some sort of way. Perhaps just a blip on the radar but in a great way. The gear was selected with care and the large room did'nt overwhelm the systems. Even the Mobil Fidelity speakers rocked in that room. That theater was built right and the thick ceiling,brick walls and solid floor all served to miminize room reflections and sounded great.

More comments later when I can see straight.

Feb 15, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #36 of 64
Wow,where to start?

The gear,the food,the people,the music. I'll begin with the folks. I've been all over the world and have met thousands of people and can say the folks in Montana are among the best. From the flirtatious cop to the ladies that ran the Coffee shop,I don't think I met anyone whom I would'nt love to have as a neighbour and friend.

The food,WOW!. Who woulda thunk that there is excellent southern Gumbo in Three Forks,or that Honey Mustard sauce could taste so good on ribs. The ribs,again I must say WOW!. I gotta make a space in my top ten for those ribs Scott treated us all to. Having that meal with a friend like Scott made it all the more enjoyable. Even the breakfasts were great.

The gear. There were rival factions at play at Todd's show but we existed in the same space in relative peace. The Digital/Solid State Guys vs. the Tube/Analog guys could have gotten nasty but I think the music helped us all see past our differences. Besides,the two main Digital guys we so nice,how could I possibly give them any more crap than I did. That Meridian G57 did'nt help things either. That thing is the most fluid and resolved solid state amp I've ever heard. I was'nt really looking for solid state amplification right now but that amp has changed my mind. I'm gonna have to do that amp in my Maggie system for what hopefully becomes a big smile.

The Meridian DSP8000 speakers are amazing in some ways and dissapointing in others. There are few more dynamic and detailed speakers but the dynamics and detail serve to make them loud and boring to some body like me who values tonality and musical reproduction over all else. If you love Wilson speakers,you'll cream yourself over the DSP8000s. The big suprise for me,besides the G57 amp,was the Mobile Fidelty OML-2 loudspeakers. I was expecting these to be lost in that large room but they filled the air with great music. They are involving and sounded spectacular when played loud or soft. Soundstaging was very good and tonality was excellent. These are great speakers and anyone looking for a killer floor-stander must take a look at them.

The Meier Audio Eartube amp is the real deal. I must have one. If you have a "need for crossfeed" like I do and you prefer tubes like I do,this is the amp to soothe your soul. I love this amp now and I'll likely buy one and do a full review.

Ray Samuel's XR10B is something special. I have yet to hear a finer phono stage and I think Ray really does'nt fully understand what he has done with this product. It will be in the hands of the pro reveiwers soon and I'm confident most of them will be floored by what they hear. I rarely call anything the "best" but that title belongs to the XR10B. Bravo to Ray.

The Nordost Valhalla Cables are amazing as well but what would you expect for that kind of money. They sound impossibly good but never seem to impede the music in any way. Swapping them out was always met with a measure of sorrow and anyone who can't hear the difference is certainly in the wrong hobby. If you can spend the money,these are the cables to own.

The Lyra Argo and Titan Cartridges were also "on" .These are two of the finest rigs I've heard and since I own and love them both,I'm biased. There were plenty of other rigs to compare them to but I think the univeral thought was that the Lyras clearly out-classed everything else. The VPI HRX had dual arm-wands and both a Shelter 90X and Titan were swapped in and out. If anyone thought the Shelter was better,they failed to speak up (we won't count Ray as he is the only Lyra hater on the planet and owns a 90X).

The turntables were all great and the ones that stood out for me were the Trans Rotor Fat Bob which is the chrome table with the Lyra Argo attached. I typically hate Rega arms but the Fat Bob makes great use of a highly modded RB1000 and sounds amazing. The Goldring was also a great table and for $429 cannot be beaten. I'm gonna have to audition this one for sure. The fact that it is basically a Rega P2(yeah,it ran fast) is a good thing in this case and should serve to make this a great selling table.

I really liked some of the other gear but the stuff I specifically mentioned is what stood out to me and my ears.

The music. All of it was great and the Meridian demo discs were the hit of Todd's show. Mike allowed us to burn copies and I think everybody used them to audition gear. The selection of tunes and variety of music was huge and even though the Meridian speakers were not for me,the music chosen to demo them was amazing. I think everyone came away from that show with a taste for new music. Ther listening sessions were fantastic and the requests were always outstanding. It was great to share music with such a fine group of folks. The sessions typically lasted until 1 am(or later on Friday) and we literally had to make everybody leave. I think Todd brought along a substantial portion of his music collection(we're talking vinyl baby) for us all to enjoy and enjoy we did.

Did I say enough? Todd did a great job and I would'nt miss the next show for anything. I'm thinking some of you will be there next time as well. thanks Todd.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #40 of 64
Hey Billy,the "guys"(Todd,Tom and Scott) are all coming here in the fall to catch the Bears vs Lions game. I'm eagerly awaiting the NFL schedule to finalize the plans. We'll all get a chance to return Scott's generosity then.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #41 of 64
I would like to say thanks to Todd & his lovely wife for inviting me over to stay in their home while I was in Three Forks. Thanks for Mrs. Green for preparing the Turkey dinner for all of us, yet I have not heard any one mentioning that specially with her bussy schedual.
I would like to add my voice to the others to say thanks to a wonderfull person, Scott, who was going out of his way to make sure things was done right, as I had the best ribbs money can buy at that resturant.
Todd had a great show, impressive gear, the best of the best was at our finger tip, wish this show was in Chicago, it would have brought thousands of hi-fiers to see & listen to the hi-end components. Thanks Todd for being such a great host.
A little advice to Chicago travelers who go to Three Forks, No matter how hungry you are, please take my advice & settle for 3 eggs & 2 suasage links
DO NOT order more than that as these people take their breakfast very serieusly, not only that, but within hours the entire town knows how many eggs you ate with how many bacons & sausages, I had one of the ladys coming to me at the show who said she lives 20 miles away saying that she heard about my breakfast encounter in that resturant regarding the eggs. Man, every thing goes so slow in this town, BUT my breakfast news was posted at every door in that town within seconds.
I had a great time & will look forward to another great one.
Ray Samuels

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #42 of 64
The turkey dinner was indeed wonderful, and truly appreciated by all. Thanks for pointing that out Ray. Thanks again to Mrs. Green and the whole family for making us so welcome.

JC

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #43 of 64
HI All,

First I would like to thank everyone from Head-Fi who attended. I hope you had as much fun as I had. I guess I consider the show a success and look forward to doing it again next year. Thanks to Ray for demoing his great gear. The Raptor is awesome just like the rest of the product line. Your expertise was appreciate by all. AND you made the local paper - both for your equipment and for your breakfast order at the Three Forks Cafe. News travels fast here. Thanks to Fred ( for the albums too!) for coming out and to Billy too for coming all the way from Chi-Town. Thanks for posting all the pics of the show so all could see. Scott, Tom and I will be there (Chicago) in the fall for some vinyl shopping, headphone listening, Chicago Pizza, and a Lions game. It was great finally meeting you Billy! To Jeff for the Guinness, conversation, encouragement and traveling from the great state of Michigan - it was a real pleasure to meet you in person. To Scott, the great lefty pitcher and audiophile. All the way from Georgia! It was a pleasure spending time talking about 2 of my favorite hobbies with you. All the best on the mound to you!

I hope you all are drooling over the equipment in the pics - it took a great deal of work to put this together and without the help of Scott Fink of Three Forks, I'm not sure it would have been the same. Scott is becoming a Head-Fi member so please welcome him aboard! He is my local audiophile friend and a great guy. To Tom Swenson, my web guy and partner at TTVJ. He supplied the wine and was also a big help setting up. And I haven't forgotten the help Billy gave tearing down some of the gear on Sunday - Thank YOU!!!

To Jan Meier for the great new amps - I especially like the Eartube! Nice work!

To Mike Barber and Meridian for sending and demoing the mighty fine DSP8000 speakers as well as loaning (OK so I'm now buying them!!!) the GO2 and G57.
What an awesome bunch of gear that stuff is. This combo - GO8, GO2, and G57 is something to lust after... not to mention the 808!

To Pass Labs for their fine equipment. They sent the X2.5 preamp and Xono Phono stage. Their Rushmores are quite a sight and sound as good as they look. The 350.5 amp has been in my possession since Christmas and is a remarkable 350 watt amp! Wonderful stuff!

To Axiss for the loaner FAT BOB! What a nice turntable - so nice that I am working out a deal to keep it. It is a nice mate for the VPI HRX. You can never have to many turntables if you are a Vinyl Junkie. Also for the Shelter cartridges - award winning cartridges (TAS this month) at that!

And the Lyra company for awesome cartridges. You gotta hear these!

TO Cardas, Mobile Fidelity (great speakers for the money!!!) , Classic records, Slappa , Acoustic Sounds for the give away prizes and great gear/albums used at the show.

TO Mr Steve McCoin for the Beer Nuts. Many a hungry audiophile munched them. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

To Grado Labs for the headphones and cartridges. The new 325i is very nice (isn't it Billy
biggrin.gif
)

There were many other companies who's gear we represent who made this all happen so you would have the opportunity to hear their wares. Thank You!

Please consider coming out next year. We would love to have all of you here for a fun weekend in Montana - listening to great music, eating great BEEF, and relaxing to the local scenery. See you here ...

Todd

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
A little advice to Chicago travelers who go to Three Forks, No matter how hungry you are, please take my advice & settle for 3 eggs & 2 suasage links
DO NOT order more than that as these people take their breakfast very serieusly, not only that, but within hours the entire town knows how many eggs you ate with how many bacons & sausages, I had one of the ladys coming to me at the show who said she lives 20 miles away saying that she heard about my breakfast encounter in that resturant regarding the eggs. Man, every thing goes so slow in this town, BUT my breakfast news was posted at every door in that town within seconds.

Ray, I'm still telling people the tales of your breakfasts from the LA meet
biggrin.gif
You sir can just put down food early in the morning like nobody's business
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Ray, I'm still telling people the tales of your breakfasts from the LA meet
biggrin.gif
You sir can just put down food early in the morning like nobody's business
biggrin.gif

I have no idea why when I am on the go in any town or city, I feel like eating breakfast, I never eat breakfast at home but black coffee only. So I try to make up for the months that I have never had eggs & sausage or bacon.
I had the same problem in Florida, we were staying in this fancy hotel that served out of this world waffeles & other goodys but had no eggs for breakfast. You know what happened at SCal meet with gpalmer & every body else. From now on I will be carrying my eggs, 2 dozens, with me when I travel.
The first day at three forks we all went to this nice bakery kind a place that makes all king of paistry & bake bread with all kind of sandwiches, but they had only immitation eggs, that was one sikinning sandwitch.
The next morning I promised my self to have real eggs & as many as I can eat with bacon & sausage. The waitress comes for the order, I said 6 eggs, 10 sausage & ten bacon please. She said are you sure, that is a big breakfast, I said try me, boy was I wrong, I thought I am having those small sausages links that are served in Chicago, but these, each was bigger than italian sausage, The bacon was thick & long, I got scared, I did share 5 of my sausages & five of the bacons with others, but end up eating my 6 eggs, 5 sausage & 5 bacons. The bill was 23.00 dollars + 5 dollars tip. That was the most expensive breakfast I had in the smallest town I have been in. I never had lunch or dinner that day until the next morning.
I know if I go back to Three Forks, they will have signs on the windows saying we are out of eggs, or they have to make their chicken work overtime.
Can you believe it, they wrote about my breakfast in their news paper. WOW.....
Ray Samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back