To those who have experience with the ath-m50 and ah-d7000...
Nov 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Matt B

Head-Fier
I am a huge fan of the m50, and as much praise as they get I think that they are marginalized a bit by the high end folks because of their low price. I am strongly considering the ah-d7000...but I would like to hear some opinions regarding how much of an improvement they are over the m50 to those who have heard both. I should also mention that for the $550 premium over the m50 I am not looking for subtle improvements, but a decisive difference in sq across the spectrum, which to be honest seems unlikely given the m50's strengths... of course I realize sq is totally subjective, but any input would be MUCH appreciated

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 3
[size=10.0pt]I've stated several times on other threads that I don' t think the improvements (and they are numerous) are worth the list cost of the D7k (sorry to anyone who paid full list...).[/size]

[size=10.0pt]But I paid close to what you are looking at paying and feel that they are well worth it. No regrets whatsoever. Currently I have the M50's on and listing to some amazing music and you are correct... the M50's are outstanding, and for the money are extremely hard to better.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The type of music I listen to, the source files, my DAC & amp, all contribute to how I feel about both cans... not to mention my hearing, tastes, sensibilities... etc.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I listen mostly to acoustic music. My files are uncompressed .wav or lossless.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The D7k is amazing and heighten the experience. Only you will be able to justify the purchase and say whether or not they are worth 5x. I think so, but there is certainly a point of diminishing returns that will kick in at different points for each person.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The D7k improves on the sonority of the M50 without going overly warm. The bass extension is wonderful without bloat. The mids are much better than the M50, and combined with the crystal clear highs produce a beautifully open and transparent sound that is rich and slightly warmed.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]The soundstage is much wider than the M50’s, which are almost IEM-like in their ‘headstage’ (not a complaint !). Instrument placement is improved on the D7k as well.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]They are not as good as the M50 in terms of isolation. The M50 seal very well and fit perfectly, but the D7k is more comfortable to my head.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

Well… at least that tells you how I feel about them.  
rolleyes.gif

Best of luck to you.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back