To search or not to search....
Apr 24, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #17 of 49
I like the search button. It allows newbie members to dredge up 3 and 4 year old threads, temporarily making me think that some of our long lost members have suddenly reappeared, until I realize that the almighty search button has done its unintended job again.

It's even funnier when another newbie comes along and quotes one of our long lost members of 3 or 4 years ago and starts to challenge his position! Then a couple of days later comes back and says, "Well, what do you have to say for yourself, Mr. Posted 3 or 4 Years Ago?"

So be careful what you ask for with that search button request.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 49
hmm that brings up a good point - how about archiving some of the older threads? that way they won't lead folks astray with outdated info. like a hard cutoff of 2 years at least or something? so i won't be tempted to reply to the first post i ever made here once again?
smily_headphones1.gif
they could still be viewable and searchable, but in an archived subforum or something. who knows, i'm not a techy guy!

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 49
If everybody used the search function...there would be no new threads :p

I agree, I think some things should be searched for like "whatz da bass-eyest headfone fo my moneyz?" But some threads, aren't too rehashed, as they're a little more specific to thier wants/needs.

But yeah...some need to use the search function...

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 49
So, you're saying the search button stimulates intellectual curiosity and re-unites you will old friends . What can be wrong with that ?

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 49
Um......the dates are right there with each and every post.......how is what you're mentioning much different than a thread that was fallow for, let's say 2 months, and is then revitalized?

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 49
oicdn - imagine the number of threads your search would reveal...........more threads than the list of members.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleyman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Ignore me, it is searchable by guests too. Sorry.

Is is searchable by guests? When I registered 2 years ago it wasn't. That was the main reason I registered. I didn't start a thread until the first batch of headphones I bought 2 years ago started to have problems.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 49
My time is so valuable that I get really offended when someone posts a query without using the search function. I then have to use some of that valuable time to read the thread, and even more of that valuable time to post a reply (or a separate thread) bitching and moaning how that person wasted my valuable time by not using the search function. Man, if I didn't waste all that valuable time, I could be doing something really important, like noodling around an internet forum.

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that again.
redface.gif

I suggest use the scroll button to bypass all the repetitive thread, you don't want to answer. It work quite well

Those who are nice and want to help newbie will answer them for you.

It's not that easy to get efficient search result if you don't know what your looking for.
Searching with the correct keyword can be easy but not when you don't know where to start. You have to comb through a lot of irrelevant info and also miss a lot of relevant info because you didn't have the good keyword.

Searching you need keyword and know what to look for. Not that easy if you don't know anything about headphones.

Even if you have a very specific headphones in mind you might wonder if there is not any new info since. Or changing opinion.

TouchE' DanT...
Ive spent hours(Edit.. days/weeks/months/soon to be years) sifting through loads of dribble with the search function.
simpletons like me come here to get instant answers.
And read-up on the parts that interest them the most..
eek.gif

pissis(snobs) blow tbh..
thats what peoples are here for to talk dribble and help others.

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 49
I think its rather amusing that the people that post these search button threads tend to be people trying to boost their post count, as they are usually under 100 posts.

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 49
I dunno; but it seems to me that folks come here for fun and for information. Not for an English lesson, not for a quick brush off with a "shut up and just read" comment.

They're new folks; let then ease into the community here! I think it's just as much fun to see some of the other new guys who have perfectly worded and composed eight paragraph introductions of themselves with a concise synopsis of what they are looking for slowly evolve into just another average grammar poster with just as much fun in their posts as most everyone else.

Some people get their feelings hurt pretty easily, and we can forever loose a highly effective and knowledgeable poster by a simple misinterpreted admonition.

Notifying a noobe of the search function is a great idea, we just have to do it with a little tact!
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #30 of 49
Yes, but, not only would Head-Fi be boring, but I'm sure everyone would be contradicting theirself here. Who HASN'T posted a common thread. (Going back as far as username registration.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back