To search or not to search....
Apr 24, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 49
That's what a forum is for.

Every forum out there complains of the same thing, use the search use the search use the search.

I agree that forums would die if everyone used the search
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #32 of 49
As a newbie I'd just like to say that you can search as an unregistered guest.

But having said that, I've decided to register because the community here is refreshingly different to the other so-called audiophile forums I've been part of.

It seems that you guys actually enjoy your hobby rather than trying to flame each other!

Looking forward to the ride...and using the search button...

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 49
I found this site on a google search looking for a review of the sennheiser cx300s. After reading someone's very in depth review I wore out the search button and my eyes reading about headphones. Never did buy the cx 300s but have since bought marshmallows, ksc 75s, and a go vibe 5(Also bidding on ipod line out cable on ebay). Based on total cost of what I just bought versus what I was going to buy I think the search function is very dangerous to your wallet.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno; but it seems to me that folks come here for fun and for information. Not for an English lesson, not for a quick brush off with a "shut up and just read" comment.

They're new folks; let then ease into the community here! I think it's just as much fun to see some of the other new guys who have perfectly worded and composed eight paragraph introductions of themselves with a concise synopsis of what they are looking for slowly evolve into just another average grammar poster with just as much fun in their posts as most everyone else.

Some people get their feelings hurt pretty easily, and we can forever loose a highly effective and knowledgeable poster by a simple misinterpreted admonition.

Notifying a noobe of the search function is a great idea, we just have to do it with a little tact!
tongue.gif

hear hear...good post.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #35 of 49
i know i posted some stupid thread when i was more of a newb but the thing that pisses me off the most are people that dont even try to look for what they want before they post. they just want to post!

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TouchE' DanT...
Ive spent hours(Edit.. days/weeks/months/soon to be years) sifting through loads of dribble with the search function.
simpletons like me come here to get instant answers.
And read-up on the parts that interest them the most..
eek.gif

agree agree. search is useful when you know what you are looking for. say i have my eyes on a pair of grado 325. search "grado 325" and read up on what people say about the phones. but what if i'm interested in grado but dont know which one and dont know how each is different. do i search "grado" and read up on all the threads, even the ones that are soooo irrelevant. why not start a new thread: "interested in grado, but don't know which one." now that tread is tailor to what you are trying to find with the help and experiences of ACTUAL grado owners.

btw, i find it funny that op only has 60 some posts and joined recently. maybe you were reading up loads as a guest or something for few years. but just how annoyed can you be and how many same old questions have your read?
blink.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, i find it funny that op only has 60 some posts and joined recently. maybe you were reading up loads as a guest or something for few years. but just how annoyed can you be and how many same old questions have your read?
blink.gif

To answer your question, yes I did lurk here for quite some time before joining. The unfortunate truth is it does not take long to start recognizing the "same old questions". As I am typing this post there are ~1000 people viewing this site, ~500 of those are registered users. I would guess number of new threads in the past month asking "which cheap portable" is in double digits. Of course the beauty of this forum is that without fail someone less irritable than I comes forth with a thoughtful well worded response.

I'll go hide in my corner now....

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know i posted some stupid thread when i was more of a newb but the thing that pisses me off the most are people that dont even try to look for what they want before they post. they just want to post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one uses the search function. old news. yawn.

People do use the search function, overwhelmingly. At any given time there are hundreds of guests on head-fi, almost always more than there are members, many of whom are patiently searching around to get the information they need. On any given day there are thousands of searchers who never post, and maybe three threads from people too excited by the idea to have searched first. I think it's a decent ratio.

Also, pet peeve: why call something "official" which is in fact not official, like this thread?

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question, yes I did lurk here for quite some time before joining.

I did the same. I was here a good two years or more lurking before I signed up. Used the search feature many times too.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno; but it seems to me that folks come here for fun and for information. Not for an English lesson, not for a quick brush off with a "shut up and just read" comment.

They're new folks; let then ease into the community here! I think it's just as much fun to see some of the other new guys who have perfectly worded and composed eight paragraph introductions of themselves with a concise synopsis of what they are looking for slowly evolve into just another average grammar poster with just as much fun in their posts as most everyone else.

Some people get their feelings hurt pretty easily, and we can forever loose a highly effective and knowledgeable poster by a simple misinterpreted admonition.

Notifying a noobe of the search function is a great idea, we just have to do it with a little tact!
tongue.gif

These repeat threads get very old after you've been here for a while (I don't know how the members that have been here 5, 6, 7 years handle it; perhaps they just ignore the threads?).

Pet Peeve: Why the heck would you put a colon after "The official"? The thread title doesn't make sense. If you're going to make an "official" thread (like this thread is going to suddenly become the official thread for this message...), at least get the thread title right (This just really irks me; whenever people make "official" threads, they often use bad syntax or don't utilize capitalization well).

manhattanproj: After ~5 minutes of searching I found a few threads that would be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t=grado+models
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t=grado+models
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ighlight=grado
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...+sr-200+sr-300

If I was really interested in the answer I would easily find TONS of threads that would help me decide on which Grado to get. I wonder if people just aren't good at searching (due to a lack of searching experience, no doubt).

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These repeat threads get very old after you've been here for a while (I don't know how the members that have been here 5, 6, 7 years handle it; perhaps they just ignore the threads?).

It didn't take me five years to ignore threads. It took even less time to realize it's kind of an ass move to jump down somebody's throat for not using the search button.

Apr 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #43 of 49
My Grandkids have been having fun watching "Are you smarter than a fifth grader" and it makes me realize that, when it comes to grammar, no; I'm not.

When it comes to writing properly, I'm probably one of the worst out here. Certainly worse than a lot of folks who don't even have English as their first language!

I know I make mistakes, so I find it easy to ignore those that do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back