To mod? To return? or to pair with an amp?
Apr 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Murmaider

Head-Fier

I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD555's after reading all the raving reviews about them. When i first received them they sounded okay, nothing too special but i realized i had to burn them in so i left them playing pink noise over nite for 2 days and i also listened to them through the day. Well...i haven't found the sound to be all that spectacular so now i can't decide whether to do the HD595 mod and purchase an amp or simply return them and get something a little pricier. I've currently been looking at the ATHM50S. I hate to say this but i feel a bit jaded.  any and all suggestions are welcomed.

edit: my source is mainly my desktop w/ an xfi extreme music (pci, not pcix) and a fiio 5
or my HD2 and the fiio 5.

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 4
That's the problem, We all do this from time to time. What sound's great to some may not as good to You. When I was burning in My Grado's, I burned in My amp also and I started to hear subtle change's as time went on, at first the high's were to shrill, midrange was okay and the bass was on the weak side. Now they are a completely different phone and have upgraded to a better amp and I'm very pleased. If Your patient You could try to burn them in while listening to them only and remember it depend's on the recording also.

I'd wait and see what happen's, but that's entirely up to You. Good Luck!  
gs1000.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 4
are those the headphones that are $85 at Amazon? If so, you may be expecting a bit too much from headphones at that price. I just got some Shure SRH440s for about that price and i think they sound really good, but i'm not expecting them to sound like $300 or $500 phones.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 4
When I first got my Ultrasone I wanted to sell them right away.  It sounded just a tad bit better than my $9 headphone and I thought it weren't worth the money.  Then it opened up on the second/third? day and I thought I had a lucky escape that I nearly sold them.

But saying that if you don't notice any difference after a while I would sell them.  Maybe they are not the right headphone for you.  If you ain't impressed with 555, then you probably not going to be impressed if you mod it to 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back