To mod or not to mod
Feb 1, 2011 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
My sr125is. Never attempted any sort of mod and been really wanting to add woodies, quarter mod the comfies, place holes in the driver, and remove the cloth from shells. Is it worth it? Potential risks? Thanks

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 27
All of these mods are relatively safe and cheap, other than the woodies. I don't know how they will change the sound and whether or not it's worth it, but I'm always for modding so I say go for it!

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 27
Yes it's worth it. Risks are fairly low if you read up on how to do everything and take your time. 

I know you probably just typed it out wrong, but just to make sure, you are not punching holes in the driver itself. Once you pop the shell apart you will see on the backside of the driver there is a cloth like mesh that covers ten holes behind the driver. You want to poke holes through that mesh, not the drivers. But you will see pretty clearly if you read (if you haven't yet) the mod thread. I highly recommend the mods. They work, are easy, and free.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 27
How do I place the shell back then if I do not get the woodies? 

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 27
WARNING DONT MENTION THAT, bill does not want ot break any rules by selling things on here.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 27
How do I place the shell back then if I do not get the woodies?
Just slip it back on. I heated mine to adjust them since they came to me kinda crooked, and I just slipped it on there and the glue re-hardened to the strength of them when I first got them.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 27
oh dang, how long does the glue stay wet?  What method would you guys recommend? Hot water, or hair dryer?

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 27
I did it with a cheapo hairdryer. Steam raises the potential (apparently not very big) of getting moisture in the driver, which could cause problems if you don't dry them out.

And I just heated it to adjust, so I'm not sure how long it was actually loose, but I was moving it for about 10 seconds.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 27
I peeled all the glue off mine and they hold just fine by friction...but I do have the 325's so the metal/plastic might hold differently than plastic/plastic.

As far as the glue...it is basically just hot glue. When heated it gets soft and pretty much as soon as you separate the cups the glue hardens back up. You would actually need to reheat to soften it again before putting the cups back together or strip it all off and just use a little fresh hot glue or none at all.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 27
How long would it take to melt the shells with a hair dryer?

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 27
so total time? Like five minutes give or take?

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 27
To remove them completely? That's plenty of time to do it. To do what I did takes less time, but you're doing nothing that way.

To open punch, damp, and close... you could probably do all of that in 5 minutes a cup if you really wanted to.

But take your time, don't destroy it by rushing yourself

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 27
So punch 4 holes through the driver cloth, remove the cloth from plastic to the comfy, and cut a hole in the comfy. Anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back