To EQ or not to EQ?
Jan 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 66
I can dig it. 

I ended up getting a parametric eq plugin for Audio Hijack pro, and source iTunes through that to process. 

Are you using the computer's HP out? or other? I found I was getting a lot of distortion from my macbook pro before I switched to a USB DAC/AMP. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #47 of 66
Geeze, sorry to offend, reread my original post, I do use EQ in my car, but am quite happy with my headphone setup atm, and prefer no EQ, period, Im not dismissive, or narrow minded, I have my own opinion, and that's my right, perhaps talking down to others or just feeling you haven't stressed your point has worked you up, Im pretty sure at my age I know how I feel and what I like. All the more power to you that you like tweaking the sound, I don't, I like enjoying the music and getting lost in the experience. Is it so offensive to some I don't jump on the Band wagon,  but choose to disagree.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #48 of 66
I prefer to listen when I have time, I'M sure if I had more time and was in some way unhappy with what I was hearing I would use EQ, if it was easy and possible on my portable rig, but for me it not very practical. I do appreciate the responses, and perhaps I came off like a jerk, I apologize. I wouldn't be on here if I wasn't willing to learn and grow in the hobby. With my predator and Ipod classic its to big to fit in a shirt pocket, so adding another box to the setup isn't an option atm.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:
Geeze, sorry to offend, reread my original post, I do use EQ in my car, but am quite happy with my headphone setup atm, and prefer no EQ, period, Im not dismissive, or narrow minded, I have my own opinion, and that's my right, perhaps talking down to others or just feeling you haven't stressed your point has worked you up, Im pretty sure at my age I know how I feel and what I like. All the more power to you that you like tweaking the sound, I don't, I like enjoying the music and getting lost in the experience. Is it so offensive to some I don't jump on the Band wagon,  but choose to disagree.

The only one acting offended is you. You suggested that good gear doesn't need equalization. We corrected you. You responded with "meh", now this.

Now sarcasm.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 66
I, too, love getting lost in music.  It's quite honestly my favorite thing in the whole world.

Maybe my decision to EQ will make more sense if you imagine the notches in my EQ as being peaks, because that's what I was hearing.  It was impossible for me to get lost in anything when the frequency response I heard more closely resembled the one pictured below than anything even remotely approaching flat.  So, I made what I hear flat.

EDIT:  Oops.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 66

Quote:

Adjust EQ in iTunes, and when you find a formula that pleases your ears, save the setting using the name of a preset found on the iPod.  Your custom setting will then replace that factory preset on the iPod.  

Are you sure about that? Most things I have seen indicated that these were pretty hard wired and not editable in any way. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #53 of 66
The link you posted is something different. For that you have to tag each individual song with an eq value, and re-sync them - then the preset you choose for that song (even if custom) is applied, but not available for any other song, unless you specify it, and re-sync. Not changing the eq presets in the iPod. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #54 of 66
I posted the wrong link, but the correct one debunks its own claim at the end. 

I don't know why I thought that trick has worked for me before.

My apologies.  Maybe I should start taking gingko.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #56 of 66

Quote:
Are you sure about that? Most things I have seen indicated that these were pretty hard wired and not editable in any way. 

You are correct to be skeptical of the iTunes EQ transferring to the iPod. Try setting it to something ridiculous, like the lower half all the way down and the upper half all of the way up. You won't hear a difference. There are several myth threads, but most have debunked this idea.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #58 of 66
Okay .. .  "EQ-ing" is something that I'm very unfamiliar with.  

I see that the EQ setting on iTunes is defaulted to "Flat" with lots of other "presets" for different music genres.  How are these iTunes presets as far as audio quality?  Should I just leave it as the default "Flat" with my listening set up?:

2011 iMac/iTunes > NuForce Icon HDP amp/dac > Ultrasone Pro 900

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #59 of 66

Quote:
I see that the EQ setting on iTunes is defaulted to "Flat" with lots of other "presets" for different music genres.  How are these iTunes presets as far as audio quality?  Should I just leave it as the default "Flat" with my listening set up?:

2011 iMac/iTunes > NuForce Icon HDP amp/dac > Ultrasone Pro 900

Pretty universally bad. They all introduce modulation distortion and clipping. Keep it flat until you build you own custom eq's (always eq DOWN - better still to avoid iTunes eq if possible and use a professional plugin via Audio Hijack Pro, or some other VST/AU host - but that's a whole other thread). 

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #60 of 66

Quote:
Pretty universally bad. They all introduce modulation distortion and clipping. Keep it flat until you build you own custom eq's (always eq DOWN - better still to avoid iTunes eq if possible and use a professional plugin via Audio Hijack Pro, or some other VST/AU host - but that's a whole other thread). 

"Flat" it is . . thanks liamstrain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back