To EQ or not to EQ?
Jan 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:
My EQ settings for M50's.

At that point you might be better off with different headphones 
eek.gif

Quote:
Yes = cheap headphones amped by opamps.

No = good headphones amped by class A amps.

Self-explanatory.

Where's a ROFL smiley when you need one? 
biggrin.gif

It's the amp part that kills me. Even if you think opamps are inferior, the problems they pose have nothing to do with frequency response and won't be helped at all by equalization.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 66
Does anyone know of a way to EQ the signal at the soundcard level so that I could measure the EQed response of the speakers/headphones?

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #21 of 66
The first headphones I don't EQ AT ALL are the M-Audio Q40 headphones but that's only if using together with digiZoid ZO2 amp, otherwise I'd probably adjust the bass slightly. I didn't believe the day would come when I'd find a headphone that I wouldn't need to touch the EQ on the computer to get the balance sound perfect for my taste. Then again I placed some extra padding beneath the shallow pads to get a better fit and since there's holes on the underside of the pads covering 2 out of 3 of the lines with holes changed the response slightly for the better as well (more neutral sounding in the mids) as well as improving the soundstage slightly. Maybe without the mod I had done some slight adjustments.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 66

Quote:
At that point you might be better off with different headphones 
eek.gif

Alternatively, I fall back on this simple (well..not too simple) EQ, which saves me hundreds of dollars.

I like M50's for its high resolution, and grainless highs, and (relatively) tight bass, all of which are attributes that cannot be modified by EQing, I then remedied the non-neutral FR of the M50's with the EQ and voila, it sounds as good if not better than cans much much pricier. It's a cheap and dirty trick but I like how budget-efficient it is.

The only way to upgrade now for me is to get headphones with even better resolution/dynamics/bass tightness/imaging etc, and I can do the same EQ trick again to bring those to their full potentials.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #23 of 66

Quote:
Alternatively, I fall back on this simple (well..not too simple) EQ, which saves me hundreds of dollars.

I like M50's for its high resolution, and grainless highs, and (relatively) tight bass, all of which are attributes that cannot be modified by EQing, I then remedied the non-neutral FR of the M50's with the EQ and voila, it sounds as good if not better than cans much much pricier. It's a cheap and dirty trick but I like how budget-efficient it is.

The only way to upgrade now for me is to get headphones with even better resolution/dynamics/bass tightness/imaging etc, and I can do the same EQ trick again to bring those to their full potentials.

i assume you only use them at the PC then?

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #24 of 66
I am anti-eq in every case but one. My Audio Technica ATH-AD700's can't really be listened to without it... 
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #25 of 66

Quote:
I was wondering if any of you guys, especially ones who are really into the audio quality field, and is experienced with headphones and such audio gear adjust the EQ to their likings.

I was told to just leave it flat, but I decided to play around with it for a bit and set it to a way that I like it, I mean REALLY like it.

Any thoughts?

I've been in the quest for the leaner purer sound , instead of writing a poem now I'll just write then when your system is nicely neutral and open , the eq is a godsend , and it will be quite useful to finetune your sound preference , as well as to manage  bad recording issues ( think of some old recordings or some important pieces of music that have not been remastered still from a first publication ) ,

so if your system is ready to receive eq , you will be able to manage those , in a nice and clean way

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #26 of 66
I equalize every headphone I have. It's an easy way to make the headphone sound better to my ears.

Quote:
I was wondering if any of you guys, especially ones who are really into the audio quality field, and is experienced with headphones and such audio gear adjust the EQ to their likings.

I was told to just leave it flat, but I decided to play around with it for a bit and set it to a way that I like it, I mean REALLY like it.

Any thoughts?

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #27 of 66
as for equalizing headphones , I've always found myself wanting for more when tryin to cut or "fill a hole" in the headphone presentation , so all in all in the end i wouldn't equalize an headphone because is missing something .. that something missing is hardware ,  is not software or sound , and can't be recreated with eq.......

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #28 of 66
I believe whether or not you have a good audio set composed of headphones and or equipment, and try EQ for yourself, and if you suddenly like it than no EQ, then that's your luck for achieving enhanced sound from adjusting this option.

I don't think there is a good or a bad to it.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #29 of 66
things like distortion and harmonic distortion ( frqs. wise ) are normally considered bad , and generally speaking  non - linearity rises amplitude of distortion ..

but sure someone will like them , in a way or another

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #30 of 66
EQ is amazingly useful.  If you can find a headphone that you think has a perfect FR then good for you.  The rest of us aren't so lucky.  Besides that, those of us who enjoy the music rather than the recording might want to use EQ to partially correct for poor mastering or just because we like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back