To beard or not to beard? Beard-Fi question, who has a beard
Mar 21, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 72
Beards are one thing that I can't stand. To me, they rarely look good even when well maintained. Every now and again you see people that are obviously using a goatee to carve themselves a chin or a beard to give themselves a jaw line. This is like the comb over for facial features. And to me reeks of low self esteem.

WOW! Could it be a bigger jack-ass?!

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! Could it be a bigger jack-ass?!

Aaron, is the "t" in "it" extraneous by chance??

Laz

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #33 of 72
This thread is lacking pics.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #34 of 72
I had a beard from 1976 to 2001, 25 years. Then I met "She who must be obeyed", now Mrs Pieman. Off came the beard!

I did not grow a beard to have a jawline, hide anything or whatever. I was just lazy. Why manicure the face everyday when you can do it once a week?

Yes I think the "t" was extraneous.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #37 of 72
I had one for a bit. While in grad school, three close friends and I were out drinking and the topic came up. None of us had ever grown facial hair, so we decided to try it out.

My facial hair comes in patchy on my upper lip and around my mouth, but the rest comes in fully. I grew what was referred to as the "Amish Outlaw." It was in the Amish/Abe Lincoln style. It was fun, but it had to be trimmed up daily to look decent and that was about as much work as shaving in the first place.

However, every woman I knew hated it. Didn't have a girlfriend at the time and the Outlaw was likely a contributing factor. Then, some snotty teenagers made fun of me in the mall. The final strike was my sister's college graduation. My parents begged me to shave it so we could get some decent family photos of the occasion. I gave in.

I've been tempted to grow it back now and then.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 72
I can grow a pretty good beard but I usually only do it a couple times a year and I shave it off once the maintainance is too much. I can grow it quite quickly, in fact I won a beard growing competition among a group of friends
rs1smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #40 of 72
I've had a beard since 1991. Shaved off entirely once in 1994, but that's about it. I have bad allergies and shaving often is not good for my skin - so keeping a beard is a nice way to get around it.

The downside is that it isn't really very accepted at work. Especially when going for interviews - I often get strange looks. People here seem to prefer clean shaven employees.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #41 of 72
i have a van dyke beard (which is often mislabelled a goatee) for about ten years now.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit I like the way beards look on some men, but guys, think of your lady friends. Beards hurt. Enough said.

i imagine looking at a lady friend with a beard would hurt... my brain.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #44 of 72
I have had a beard since my days at Woodstock (1969). Shaved it off once by mistake. It is rather soft in texture so my wife does not complain (at least to my face..) It is much more gray than the hair on my head however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back