To beard or not to beard? Beard-Fi question, who has a beard
Mar 20, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #16 of 72
You should update your avatar to take advantage of the new bigger sizes allowed dude. That way we can bask ever more greatly in your Santastic greatness. ;D

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 72
Well I like having a beard. However I have no idea how to keep them trimmed so I just shave it, grow it out for a few weeks, then shave it, let it grow, wash, rinse, repeat.

It's a good length at the moment but it gets to a point where it gets a little out of control and starts itching me so it has to go.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 72
On average, I'm 4-day-bearded and 2-week-haired. I.e., I shave my beard ~ every week (plus optional neck shaving & edge trimming) and my hair ~ every month. I'm using a beard cutter (Braun -> Panasonic -> Panasonic -> now: Philips QG3040) with the trimmer unit only (= without the beard comb on top), hence my beard grows from ~ 0.5 to 5 mm over the week, my hair from 0.5 mm to 2 cm over the month. Been doing this for the last 15 years or so, works fine for me.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 72
I wore a goatee for my teen years, but the lady I was courting didn't care for it, so naturally, I got rid of it, and got lovin'. Once she split, I gained it back, and kept it until last Jan, when I shaved it off. Labor day weekend, I just didn't shave and achieved a nice beard.

I like having a beard, but some times, I want to just shave it off. Unfortunately, it makes my face seem slimmer, so it stays.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 72
i have a chin beard, and neither the ability nor inclination of growing a full one. Im a rather skinny girly looking guy, as much as i would love to grow a full beard, i fear i would look rather daft.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 72
OK beard gurus: What is the best trimmer to maintain a CLOSE-CROPPED
beard? I want the "slept out late at a rockstar's party and have NOT had a chance to spruce up" look
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK beard gurus: What is the best trimmer to maintain a CLOSE-CROPPED
beard? I want the "slept out late at a rockstar's party and have NOT had a chance to spruce up" look
biggrin.gif

As mentioned above, I'm on my fourth beard cutter now - a Philips QG3040. Too new to make a reliability statement, but so far I like it better than the Braun and the two Panasonics I had before. As for performance, I'd rate all four as good - however, the Philips is the most flexible, handiest and easiest to clean one. It's ~ 35 Euro over here and comes with a small tray/docking station, that also contains the exchange heads (smaller trimmer & ear/nose hair trimmer), a comb and a cleaning brush. The wall-wart for charging is neat and small, although I find the cable a little on the short side and I'd rather have the charging led on the beard cutter than on the wall-wart.

Anyway, for your desired look (0.5 to 1 mm length) you'll most surely need to use the trimmer without the beard comb on top, as I do, so: Whatever trimmer you choose, make sure that the part of the trimmer head next to the lower blade is plastic and not metal, 'cause those metal plates (mostly found on hair trimmers, though) usually have rather sharp edges that can easily leave scratches on your skin (especially relevant, if you'd also like to shave your head for the complete mean Bruce Willis look...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Almost forgot: I also still have a Medion beard/hair trimmer that I keep as spare - can't recommend it, though: Problem is that, even when properly oiled, the trimming blades get unpleasantly hot after a couple of minutes.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 72
Full beard here since the mid-to-late '70s. It used to be red, now grayish. The hair and the beard are now both very short, as the hair is too fine and now too thin to look good very long. Short hair looks better with the fez anyway.

I trim it with a trimmer I bought at Sears and replaced the wimpy nicads with an outboard battery pack [gobs of power]. This trimmer has balded my daughter, two of her friends, and my brother in law.

Laz

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #25 of 72
I have a nice "Commander Riker" beard going on right now. I don't think I will get rid of it any time soon.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #26 of 72
I had a full beard in about 94-96 but haven't had one since. I have been tempted to grow it back a few times though. Even today when I run into my cousin he always brings up the topic of my old beard and tells me how "Huge!" it was. I have never had trouble growing one but I don't really remember it ever being as big as he says.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 72
I grow a short beard for the winters. But I plan on shaving it off soon because spring and summer are coming.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #28 of 72
What age can you pretty much say goodbye to having a hope of growing a nice filled out beard?

I want one that goes all the way from the sideburns, into a mustache and beard. That will be excellent.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #30 of 72
I got a big, fluffy, mayonnaise storing beard. I stroke it to feel smart or when I fake ignorance of a nearby hot girl. The latter is associated with the former; if you ignore a hot girl while stroking your beard, she'll think you're smart and wonder why you are not attracted to her, which, by default, makes them attracted to you. Works like a charm. Sweet sassy molassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back