To apple or not to apple?
Feb 19, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #61 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While Apple product certainly has that sexy factor going on there are two main reasons why I jumped ship*:

1. iTunes. It really sucks handling large media libraries on external HDDs. This was even confirmed in an email response from Apple tech support. Yes there are alternatives in software to use but I a) don't want to pay for it, or b) the alternatives eventually suck even more.

2. Apple's throwaway attitude. What happens when a new hardware device is released? Everyone that owns a previous version gets left in the dust is what happens. Want that Genius on your iPod Classic? Forget it! Still waiting for that much needed firmware update for your U2 Video iPod? Too bad!

What sort of external media were you using? You have me a bit concerned. I currently have my database on a 1TB Seagate External connected by FireWire 800. My database is over 140GB.

As to the throwaway attitude, I know what you mean. Not offering firmware upgrades with improved interface is one of their ways for encouraging one to upgrade. However, there's a psychologic aspect to it. When you buy your iPod you're usually very happy with it until you see the new one with upgraded features. Suddenly you're no longer happy when you were just happy before. Some get caught up while others remember that their ipod still works despite not having the latest interface. IOW's, your mileage may vary.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #62 of 89
well, zune i understand as so far in 2 models they have updated new features into the zune. however the same is true for apple: gapless playback for one is great.

other ipod geniuses can explain better but apple are among daps far better than most companies for supporting old hardware. look at cowon for instance: codec support is not even flat against the entire line. some support mp4, some don't. the same with aac. the same with video at different resolutions. the truth is that the price is high for both zune and apple.

no drag and drop: drm heavy and proprietary applications: it has to do with the music industry. because the music industry is strong with both companies, they are made to take this stance. if apple is poor, the zune is equally.

no company is perfect that is for sure.

as for throwaway: both apple and zune are made quite well. look at the other players: all plastic. if you throw away, at least the shell of the ipod and zune will rot away eventually and the circuits only will harm the earth!

i work fine with (largish) external hd: i have never had my itunes library inside my computer: never. i use an external 500gb disk to hold my itunes library: no trouble ever.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #63 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. I hear you. We all have our issues. I'm currently undergoing therapy due to exposure to the Windows OS known as Vista.
beyersmile.png

Ah, I actually haven't been subjected to Vista yet. The kid in the apple commercial scared me away. Stupid ingenious marketing.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #64 of 89
Vista is somewhere between my aunt's house and the seventh level of hell.

I have definitely been convinced to stick with apple, but im really glad i started this thread, as ive learned a lot.

For one, shigzeo's mention of keeping his entire library external was a total palm to the forehead for me. im always worried about some of my music being internal, some external, but i could never fit it all internal. Of course my brain forgot to consider the third option. Now i have all my music on my Drobo and i have 0 problems whatsoever with my rather large music collection.

I think what really decided it for me was the 120g classic. Its huge capacity and simple interface are really all i need in a portable player.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While Apple product certainly has that sexy factor going on there are two main reasons why I jumped ship*:

1. iTunes. It really sucks handling large media libraries on external HDDs. This was even confirmed in an email response from Apple tech support. Yes there are alternatives in software to use but I a) don't want to pay for it, or b) the alternatives eventually suck even more.

2. Apple's throwaway attitude. What happens when a new hardware device is released? Everyone that owns a previous version gets left in the dust is what happens. Want that Genius on your iPod Classic? Forget it! Still waiting for that much needed firmware update for your U2 Video iPod? Too bad!

1. It might just be me, but I'm not experiencing any problems with iTunes handling my library on a drobo. Moving my music library is as easy as couple of clicks.
2. Throwaway? Have you looked at Sony? At least Apple's lineup are consistent and predictable. Compare that to Sony that have models overlapping all over the place, replacing them as often as Apple with more overlapping models, and abandoning Sonicstage/Atrac midway leaving plenty of users owning the older DAPs confused. Want drag-n-drop on your NW players? Too bad. Want a firmware upgrade, or support for HE-AAC like the Japanese version? Forget it. How often do you see firmware upgrades on consumer electronics that offer new features on older hardware? Rarely. It's the simple nature of CE business. At least Apple gave 5G gapless playback, and offer firmware upgrades (albeit with a cost) for iPod Touch. BTW, Genius is useless anyway.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #66 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was referring to the fact that Apple's business model is to control all of their customers by forcing them into a trendy little proprietary Apple ecosystem.

Really? I don't agree with some of Apple's decisions, but at least I can use iPods on Mac OS, Windows, and Linux, with variety of software including winamp and Songbird. They're the lesser evil.
Can I use the Zune outside Windows? Nope. Can I use the Zune without the Zune software (without actually hacking it)? Nope. Which company wants to control their customers again?

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakercj93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like fascism, go with Apple. Personally, I like freedom, so I got a Sansa Fuze and am very happy with it. I'd also recommend a Cowon.

I got a Zune, what am I? A Taliban?
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have sansa not tattoed as that is so sheepish, i have it printed onto a clear plastic layer that i wear around my most sensitive parts.

Doesn't it get warm?
biggrin.gif

For me I tattoo a circle around my navel, a rectangle on top of it, and another rectangle around them. Lately I learned belly dancing and I am really popular now.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sir, are a jerk. Grow up.

On topic, apple.

X2 apple Krmathis does a lot for this place and you my friend.. do not; comments like this expose you. OH and dont be making any apple fanboy comments SE530 man.

Oh and my vote: Apple

pick yourself up a used 5.5G and whack a 120gb or even 240 drive in it. also down the line you may change your mind about the DIYMOD/IMOD thing and you will only have to do the mod. until then you have a great sounding player out of the line out. not so great out of the HP out, but you specified an amp, so there ya go. IMO the 5.5G has better sound even stock than the classics

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #70 of 89
yeah, the only thing i have to remember to do is when ive bought music from itunes when not connected to my external disk is to move it back to the main libarary afterward. but usually, i have no problems if i remember to do everything.

itunes remembers everything: quite amazing.

i wish i had a large enough internal disk but with photographs and work projects, music takes a seat waaaaay in the back for me.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #71 of 89
I hate iTunes.. stupid program and I hate the way it wants to organise things for me. Also all my music is in FLAC which Apple refuses to recongnise.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #72 of 89
how do you organise your music? you can tell itunes to organise it however you want. once you do, it is fast and convenient but if you hate it that is fine too.

but the argument about ogg or flac is pointless. no company who has ties with music industry will sell in either format. the music industry has chosen aac or mp3. whether or not apple might want to try flac or ogg is not their choice and has not been for a long time.

the companies who make money off of 'audiophiles' who will only go for ogg or flac are the ones with no hands in any label or any music business. they make money because they can add it to mp3 and wma and say that have great codec support when they usually do not support aac and definately not gapless. it is a trade off and those companies don't have to license either flac or ogg: they are free - and should remain that way.

but to call any company like sony, microsoft or apple who are working in the industry stupid for not supporting flac is unrelated. they simply cannot.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #73 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Zune, what am I? A Taliban?
biggrin.gif

Ha, I may have exaggerated my passion slightly. But yes, I am equally anti-Zune for the same reasons mentioned. I'm OK with either operating system because they are two sides of the same coin and there are compatibility issues with any 3rd party OS (sorry Linux). With DAP's, compatibility is improved by choosing a 3rd party. Maybe Sansa will become "evil" eventually if they can claim a big enough share of the DAP market, but for now I like the free updates, ability to drag and drop and compatibility with whatever music program I choose to use.

As for the lesser evil....

Bill Gates:
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Steve Jobs:
Steve Jobs Still Parking In Handicapped Spaces — The Pictures | Cult of Mac

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate iTunes.. stupid program and I hate the way it wants to organise things for me. Also all my music is in FLAC which Apple refuses to recongnise.

Many things seem stupid to the stupid. So it's relative.

Be careful what you say.
evil_smiley.gif

iTunes offers flexibility with organisation. With a switch you can have it organise for you or not.

iTunes is flawed, no doubt, but stupid isn't a reasonable word to come up with for its description. I do wish I could switch to a more simple interface at times, but the simplified interface is way too simple. Small point that though. I have my music organised and am enjoying it all just fine. What has me really perplexed is that iTunes gets all the negative press and then when I open SongBird, I can't help but wonder why they are trying to make an iTunes clone with flac and other open format support?!!!
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 apple Krmathis does a lot for this place and you my friend.. do not; comments like this expose you. OH and dont be making any apple fanboy comments SE530 man.

Oh and my vote: Apple

pick yourself up a used 5.5G and whack a 120gb or even 240 drive in it. also down the line you may change your mind about the DIYMOD/IMOD thing and you will only have to do the mod. until then you have a great sounding player out of the line out. not so great out of the HP out, but you specified an amp, so there ya go. IMO the 5.5G has better sound even stock than the classics

I like being exposed!!
o2smile.gif
Back to listening to my Shure SE530s!!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back