TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...)
Apr 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #76 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I curious about how a remote is useful for a headphone amp? You're tethered to it by the HP cable. At most, it's just out of reach unless your using extension cables. Or are you so relaxed in a comfy chair that moving breaks the mood?

scompton, seems like you didn't read my point before writing yours. I specifically said for "speaker listening" not for headphones. This amp can power speakers so the remote becomes a real plus when speaker listening.

hey Skylab, if you don't mind, when you do your review, I'd really appreciate some comments on the amps background noise level with low z cans, many thanks.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #77 of 104
Sure. The spec is for headphones 30 ohms and above, but I will try it with the 25 ohm Denons D5000 anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, the hum is gone. Nice and clean sounding now after about 12 hours of use. So soon I will let the real critical listening begin, but I can already say that for the money, this amp is a definite contender.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #78 of 104
Thanks for taking the plunge on this amp. I to am interested in how this amp compares to the dark voice, little dot, and other similar priced amps. And since I have the denon ahd-2000 headphones I'm interested in your opinion of this amp with them. Again thanks and can't wait

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #79 of 104
Hey, Skylab. Have you had a peek inside the unit by any chance yet? It sure looks awesome on the outside but I wonder how's the quality on the inside.

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #80 of 104
No, I have not - probably won't be in a big hurry to do so either. I will say it have really nice beefy chassis-mounted RCA jacks, not cheap PCB mounted ones, which was nice to see.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #81 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. The spec is for headphones 30 ohms and above, but I will try it with the 25 ohm Denons D5000 anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, the hum is gone. Nice and clean sounding now after about 12 hours of use. So soon I will let the real critical listening begin, but I can already say that for the money, this amp is a definite contender.

Thanks, and now that I have your attention, I'll push my luck a bit more!

I have the Jasmine T200 which in a way is kind of similar in price/functionality to this Sweet amp. With speakers, wow, the T200 is incredible for the price. With cans though, it is, let's say ordinary. It does not sound tubey very much, vocals, although good, are not what you'd expect from a tube amp. Overall, I get better enjoyment out of my portable Millett and my transportable XP-7. So when I saw the Sweet, my eyes went wide with excitement, would that be the one I'm looking for to replace my T200. I've been pushing back the purchase of the LisaIII for a little while now waiting for your comments on the Sweet. I'm already convinced the LisaIII would give me a bit better enjoyment then all my current amps but would this very useful Sweet be even better? Well, if I'm very lucky, you ultra nice Skylab will put a tiny small comment in your review of how you feel the Sweet is compared to the LisaIII.

OK, enough, I've pushed my luck enough, I'll just push my patience switch on and wait for your review.

HAHA, hope you like the humorous twist to this post Skylab, it's all just to let you know that we really really appreciate all the feedback you provide to us in this forum. MANY thanks.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #82 of 104
Thanks for the nice comments. I'm not sure that a comparison between the LisaIII is all that valid, since they are SO different, but it will be impossible for me anyway since I haven't had the Lisa in quite a while. Sorry about that.

This amp sounds really good driving speakers. I will do some headphone listening soon, which is kind of a PITA, unfortunately, since I actually have to go and physically disconnect the speakers...

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I have not - probably won't be in a big hurry to do so either. I will say it have really nice beefy chassis-mounted RCA jacks, not cheap PCB mounted ones, which was nice to see.

I understand. I wouldn't wanna break open a brand new amp myself. You need more time to appreciate it's beauty.
wink.gif
But I still appreciate you for bitting the bullet and letting us informed on this relatively new amp. Hopefully it will sound good with headphones too with a little bit of burn-in.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #84 of 104
Hey Skylab, can you post a pic of the remote? This is turning out to be a pretty good amp.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #85 of 104
Thanks Skylab. Keep the good info coming. I just bought a set of AKG K271MKII for work (coding) and I'm looking for a sweet (ignore the pun) little tube dac/amp to go with it on my desk here at work. This one is very appealing - pricewise too. So I'll be following your comments closely! I too am very interested in how it perform with it's dac in use. And a pic of the inside - please :)

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #86 of 104
Here is the remote:

DSC01646.jpg

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #87 of 104
Little fuzzy but it doesn't look bad at all... I'm now more tempted to buy this thing. Skylab what kinda mod did you request from your vendor for the tube rectifier before the delivery? Also maybe you could tell us a little bit more about the headphone amp part ...?

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab what kinda mod did you request from your vendor for the tube rectifier before the delivery?

I asked him to make a "mod" (just a slight wiring change) letting me use NOS 6X4 rectifier tubes instead of the Chinese rectifier tube that the stock version uses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psc001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also maybe you could tell us a little bit more about the headphone amp part ...?

Yes! I spent some time listening to the amp today with headphones. After 30 hours of use (on for 12 hours a day, off at night) there is no hum at all, so this was just the tubes breaking in. I am using all Sylvania NOS tubes - EL84's, 2C51's, and 6X4's. The sound via headphones is generally very pleasant, but it's far from world-class. Compared to my better tube amps, it's certainly a little on the tubey/gooey side, with slightly rolled off highs, slightly flabby bass, and not the most authoritative deep bass. Also, things are a little opaque sounding. Again, that is compared to MUCH more expensive tube amps - ones costing at least 2x the price, and having far less features than the Sweet 2.

If I didn't want speaker-drive capability or the USB input, then I would suggest a Darkvoice 336i or EC Lunchbox II rather than the Sweet2, at least at this point (I have no experience with current little dot amps). But the Sweet offers a very cheap entry point to tube amps, competitive sound, and a very attractive package. But a giant killer, it's not. Since I plan to use it mostly as an office speaker amp, it's a keeper for me. I don't need anything too fancy for that. But I will be keeping the SinglePower Extreme in my office for headphone listening, I can assure you - it's worlds better. Then again, what would you expect for the money????

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #89 of 104
Hey Skylab, as usual, very honest answers from you. I think we might have to setup a head-fi fund to pay for your review services! hahaha

Maybe it will get better as it continues to burn but overall your comments kind of resemble what I think of my Jasmine T200! I have this little amp for more then two years now and I've never really been tempted to sell it because it is so convenient, powers speakers with great sound, has regular RCA input plus USB DAC and headphone amp. Though not world class, still pretty good sound and when looking at the price then hey, quite a bargain.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #90 of 104
Yep, that is kind of how I feel about it, and yes, I will keep it running all day (goes off at night) for a week or so and then see if things improve...still, good for the money. And for me, serves my intended purpose nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back