TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...)
Apr 15, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #61 of 104
I wasn't able to get there this past weekend guys. My buddy called, his wife had to have an emergency C-section for twins and he needed me to look after his daughter.

I should be able to make it this weekend though. I can bring my LD MKIV SE to do some direct comparing with the TNS, though I'm not anywhere close to be as experienced in all this as Skylab, so no matter what I say, it's based on listening to very very few (i.e. ONE) amp in comparison. But, at least it's a start.

Hopefully Skylab will have his amp by the end of the week so he'll have a chance to give it a good workout as well.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #62 of 104
Great thread I have been eying the TNS Sweets. Skylab I would be curious to have your opinion ( and others who may have owned both) on SQ between the Sweet and the Lunchbox II as far as you can remember. I have the LB II connected to the hotaudio USB DAC and it sounds pretty wonderful. I wonder if the Sweet would be an upgrade consideration?

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #63 of 104
My Sweet will be here Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #64 of 104
Well, I don't have really have crazy hopes for it but I'm still curious to find out how it'll fair with similarly priced competitions such as Little Dot, Dark Voice, Glow Amp or even Woo Audio(2X$).

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #66 of 104
It's here! Right now it's making VERY nice music as a speaker amp driving my B&W DM601's on my office desk.

At the moment, however, there is too much hum for my tastes for headphone listening (you have to stick your head right by the speaker to hear it via speakers, but of course headphones are by definition right by your ear). I am hoping that this is just a tube-burn in issue. I am using all Sylvania NOS tubes - EL84's, 2C51's, and 6X4's (I had mine modded to use the 6X4 rectifier tube, which the seller did at no charge).

Two things I noticed right away about the looks:

1. It's smaller than I thought!

2. It really is pretty!

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #68 of 104
Actually at the moment the remote doesn't seem to work - wondering if it's some kind of operator error. I have emailed the seller on that too...

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #69 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually at the moment the remote doesn't seem to work - wondering if it's some kind of operator error. I have emailed the seller on that too...

Darn, the remote is definitely a selling point for me. I have the Jasmine T200, although I like it a lot, not having a remote for speaker listening is a real pain.

Also, which cans are you using with this amp? This hum problem is very important for me, if you are using inefficient Senns and they hum it would be terrible with my W5000!!!

Hey thanks for your feedback on this amp, it is a very nice little beauty, I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #70 of 104
I curious about how a remote is useful for a headphone amp? You're tethered to it by the HP cable. At most, it's just out of reach unless your using extension cables. Or are you so relaxed in a comfy chair that moving breaks the mood?

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #71 of 104
hey skylab, did you use the dac section of the amp or it was used strictly as an amp?

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #72 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I curious about how a remote is useful for a headphone amp? You're tethered to it by the HP cable. At most, it's just out of reach unless your using extension cables. Or are you so relaxed in a comfy chair that moving breaks the mood?

Actually the issue is the remote is the ONLY way to switch inputs. The seller has suggested I try a new battery, but it's a special watch battery, so I have to go to the HW store...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey skylab, did you use the dac section of the amp or it was used strictly as an amp?

I have not tried it yet, but I will...

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #73 of 104
UPDATE: Good news, the remote issue was just a dead battery. The remote works perfectly. Nice machined metal remote, too!

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #75 of 104
It's really too soon to talk too much about it's sound. So far I have just been breaking it in with music while playing through speakers. It certainly sounds reasonably good. But it will be a few days before I can really offer much in the way of it's sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back