TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...)
Mar 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Basta

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

Looking for the Zero DAC and Little Dot amplifiers on eBay, I fell upon these,

Sweet-2 Mini Tube Amplifier W/ Tube Rectifier & USB DAC - eBay (item 300203830968 end time Mar-09-08 13:51:35 PDT)
Sweet-1 Mini Tube Amplifier W/ iPod Slot & USB DAC - eBay (item 300204184232 end time Mar-10-08 17:44:02 PDT)

I understand it's more than a Zero DAC or LD amp... Maybe a blend of both... Maybe more... But, maybe not...

Does anybody know these things? Is TNS a good company? Can we have a first feeling just looking at these amps?

Thanks,

Bass

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 104
That's incredibly cheap.
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 104
They certainly look nice. There was a similar thread a week or so ago, but it doesn't seem that anyone has tried one of these yet.

The Sweet-2 with the tube rectifiers is tempting, although I see what they call a "6Z4" the rectifier tube is a 9-pin base, the 6Z4 rectifier tubes I am familiar with are octal-base, ST shaped tubes...

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 104
The EBay seller told me the following w/r/t the Sweet2:

Quote:

It's not the regular 6Z4. It's actually a 6X4, but the pin identification is a bit different than 6X4. In order to use 6X4 (US Model), a simple mod needs to be done inside (switch wires).

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 104
Wooo.... I'm thinking of buying a darkvoice 336i, now I'm faced with even more choices...

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EBay seller told me the following w/r/t the Sweet2: It's not the regular 6Z4. It's actually a 6X4, but the pin identification is a bit different than 6X4. In order to use 6X4 (US Model), a simple mod needs to be done inside (switch wires).

Is it good or bad Skylab ?

For those who'd like more power, this one is different but...

Pacific Valve & Electric Company BL Audio LP 1 MK II

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too bad it doesn't take a USB in. It only works with an external hard drive or flash stick through USB OTG. It also doesn't decode anything, but mp3. Odd.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not too enamored with tube/mosfet hybrids, so I will pass on that Bada.

As for the Sweet2, the key is not to get stuck with tubes you cannot tube-roll. As such, I would definitely ask for the mod to allow the use of the 6X4 as the rectifier tube if I order one (which I may), since the 6X4 has lots of very affordable NOS tubes readily available.

Mar 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 104
Thank for your comments Skylab. I really appreciate it!

Quote:

I'm not too enamored with tube/mosfet hybrids, so I will pass on that Bada.

I guess it would also apply to a PH-12 or even a Shanling PH300. Is there a simple explanation or it's just a matter of taste?

Quote:

As for the Sweet2, the key is not to get stuck with tubes you cannot tube-roll. As such, I would definitely ask for the mod to allow the use of the 6X4 as the rectifier tube if I order one (which I may), since the 6X4 has lots of very affordable NOS tubes readily available.

If I order one (wich I may also
cool.gif
), I guess I could wait a couple days longer for your initial review of this sweet dream... Good night!

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 104
I have listened to a few hybrid designs, and rather than the best of both worlds (tube and SS), I felt in some ways they were really more the worst of both worlds. I have NOT heard the Bada, so I cannot say anything about it - I just do not like hybrids in general. YMMV, of course.

Also, don't wait for my review - I'm not sure I will get one. If you are so inclined, go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back