TMA-1 vs HD25-1 II vs ESW9 and others
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

loremipsum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi. I'm looking for a small-ish super-auarl headphone to get for portable use and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding. I really like the sound the M50 has, but sadly it's too big for me to wear when I'm out and about, so I'm looking to supplement them with something that sounds similar but is smaller. I think I've narrowed it down to these three but I don't really know where to go from here. What does Head-fi think? If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to stay under $200 if possible. I listen to a lot of electronic dance music and hip-hop, so good bass (and lots of it) is important.

Also, does the 750DJ cable use a standard 3.5mm plug on the headphone end? I see that the included cable is 3 meters long and was wondering if I could just use a regular shorter 3.5mm-3.5mm cable or if I'd need to buy a special one

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 26
Bump. After some PM conversing I ruled out the 750DJ because they're larger than I had thought. Now I'm also considering the MS400 (since I realized they also come in black instead of that gaudy red), Denon D1100, and ATH-ESW9A. I've done some reading and it seems like this is how each of them compares to the M50
HD25-1 II: more analytical, colder, clearer mids, and edgier highs
TMA-1: darker sound, more forward mids, backed off treble
ESW9: warmer, smoother, but slower
MS400: more forward sound, somewhat recessed upper mids/lower treble, rolled off upper treble
D1100: a lot more bass but can be somewhat overwhelming

Any other suggestions? Right now I'm thinking ESW9 or HD25-1

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 26

Quote:

If you decide to go with the HD25's, you may need to pick up a portable amp.  My touch didn't power them to my liking, so I got an E7.

Just something to think about...

I think they are the perfect portable headphones.  I'm never worried when i throw them in my backpack at school.  They're tough as steel and produce some awesome sound.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 26
Hey!

I've got the same problem - I'm looking for something portable for ~300$. Mainly considering the ESW9 and the HD25-1.
Will be taking the bus to the city tomorrow to see what the HD25-1s sound like. Too bad though that there isn't anyone selling ESW9s in like a 500mile-radius, so I won't be able to make a comparison. Bet I'll order the ESW9s and a month later go buy the HD25-1s. 

Would be nice to hear what you decide. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
Bump. After some PM conversing I ruled out the 750DJ because they're larger than I had thought. Now I'm also considering the MS400 (since I realized they also come in black instead of that gaudy red), Denon D1100, and ATH-ESW9A. I've done some reading and it seems like this is how each of them compares to the M50
HD25-1 II: more analytical, colder, clearer mids, and edgier highs
TMA-1: darker sound, more forward mids, backed off treble
ESW9: warmer, smoother, but slower
MS400: more forward sound, somewhat recessed upper mids/lower treble, rolled off upper treble
D1100: a lot more bass but can be somewhat overwhelming

I'm considering the same headphones. It's really tough to compare them because as far as I know, Joker is the only one who has auditioned more than a few of these.   I'm leaning slightly towards the HD25 and the ESW9.  I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the ESW9's but I'm confused about their bass presence - some reviews speak of their warm bass presence while Joker seems to mention that the ESW9s simply cannot compare to the MS400's down low.   As I listen to a lot of Jazz and hip hop, I am very interested in well-articulated bass...but I also don't want it to be too analytical and cold either.  

Joker recently compared some of the "luxury" headphones we're talking about in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

I really wish he would have included the Denons and ESW9's in that comparison, instead leaving us to piece together his impressions from that thread with those in his large headphone review thread.  He seems to favor the MS400s and HD-25-ii's over everything else.  I can tell you that I have spent adequate amounts of time with the Monster Beats, the V-Moda Crossfades, and the B&W P5's :  each are frankly terrible headphones and would advise you strongly to avoid.

Very interested in hearing which headphone you ultimately decide on...keep us informed! :)

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 26
Hmm, I've been reading up and I still can't decide. The ESW9 seems too colored for my tastes and lacks PRaT, the HD25 seems too harsh in the high end... maybe I could go for the ATH-ES10, I know it's $400 but from what (little) I've read here it seems like it'd be $400 well spent.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 26
I have heard the ES10 in electronics stores in Japan when I lived there last year, and is sounds great. Very balanced sound with nothing really "sticking out" (a plus for me). At the time I felt that I prefered my ES7, which has got a much stronger focus on mids, something that is great for the guitar driven music that I listen to. Still, the ES10 is on my "to buy list", and I will probably get it some time in the future.

I have recently bought the HD25 1:II, and while the highs are a bit piercing right now, I think that is because they have not settled yet. I think that might have to do with the steel cable. I have a pair of AKG K420, and at first the highs were very sharp. After a while it settled and now they sound much better. I noticed that the cable is unusually stiff. I have not found any information about it, but I suspect that the K420 might have a steel cable. This might affect the sound of the music, making it more "sharp". After a while this goes away, it seems. I expect my HD25 1:II to get a softer and more balanced sound after they have settled. I do not use the expression "burn in" since I have only experienced change in sound with my K420. And that might have something to do with steel cables.
Anyway, the HD25 1:II might get a softer sound after settling in or if you change the cable for a copper cable (HD650 cable, I think...)

So, from my experience, I would say that your best options are:
ES10 (if you are prepared to dish out $400)
HD25 1:II (if you are prepared to wait for them to become softer, or change the cable)
TMA-1 (which seem to need EQ to reach full potential - but now there are good EQ apps that you can use with the iPod Touch)

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
I have heard the ES10 in electronics stores in Japan when I lived there last year, and is sounds great. Very balanced sound with nothing really "sticking out" (a plus for me). At the time I felt that I prefered my ES7, which has got a much stronger focus on mids, something that is great for the guitar driven music that I listen to. Still, the ES10 is on my "to buy list", and I will probably get it some time in the future.

I have recently bought the HD25 1:II, and while the highs are a bit piercing right now, I think that is because they have not settled yet. I think that might have to do with the steel cable. I have a pair of AKG K420, and at first the highs were very sharp. After a while it settled and now they sound much better. I noticed that the cable is unusually stiff. I have not found any information about it, but I suspect that the K420 might have a steel cable. This might affect the sound of the music, making it more "sharp". After a while this goes away, it seems. I expect my HD25 1:II to get a softer and more balanced sound after they have settled. I do not use the expression "burn in" since I have only experienced change in sound with my K420. And that might have something to do with steel cables.
Anyway, the HD25 1:II might get a softer sound after settling in or if you change the cable for a copper cable (HD650 cable, I think...)

So, from my experience, I would say that your best options are:
ES10 (if you are prepared to dish out $400)
HD25 1:II (if you are prepared to wait for them to become softer, or change the cable)
TMA-1 (which seem to need EQ to reach full potential - but now there are good EQ apps that you can use with the iPod Touch)

I agree with your assessments. I still need to audition the HD25-1 IIs more, but from what I have heard, they need pretty serious burn in. After that they are fantastic. My Aiaiai TMA-1s are great, but need slight eq adjustment in the treble. In other words treble boost is FAR too much, its like a slight bump, then they really shine. ES10s are amazing. I love them, but don't have $400 to shell out for them. They are worth it, much like most wooden headphones, but it depends on the individual's personal budget. As for me, I'd rather save up for some reference cans than pull the trigger on ES10s.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 26
Alright guys, thanks for the input. The ES10 sounds like the portable I'm looking for. It seems to have a bit of a V-shaped signature, so it'll give me the bass and treble that my Westone 1s don't quite deliver. I'll probably be buying them some time in April

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 26
just my .02$ in HD25-1 I had mine for about 4 month now and on some tracks (especialy hip-hop) there alot of high pierceing highs, as well as with hip-hop and R&B I find they dont produce enough bass....unfortunatly...otherwise I love them, but with alil eq and bass boost they get fixed (as always at expense of sq...) its all a preference thing though...I do know that I dont have to worry about them breaking...ever on me...

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 26
Yeah, I like having a good amount of highs (like M50 amount) but I don't want them to be painful to listen to. And I listen to a lot of bass driven music (as I've said before) so I think I'll avoid something that needs EQing

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 26
As you have an ipod touch (what model) you could check out thae new EQu and equalizer apps to tweak your sound too.

I have ATH-ESW9 and like them very much, no fatigue, nice smooth and bass. the apps add/ tweak the highs too.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Yeah, I like having a good amount of highs (like M50 amount) but I don't want them to be painful to listen to. And I listen to a lot of bass driven music (as I've said before) so I think I'll avoid something that needs EQing

I don't find my HD25's to be painful to listen to.  I don't EQ them either.  There's plenty of bass in the rock music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back