Tips on how to disassemble the hd800? refabricating it using SOLID CARBON FIBER
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

stainless824

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, i know it may sound mad at first, but would anyone have any experience in completely disassembling the sennheiser hd800 headphone. What I want to do is take individual parts, make moulds of them and refabricate the parts using carbon fiber through resin induction vaccuum bagging technique. Would greatly improve the acoustic properties of the hd800 as well as making it look completely badass and bolstering durability to a whole new level. Want to use 8h satin weave. Thinking of sandwiching 1 or 2 layers of kevlar in between as well to improve dampening. Hmmm, black carbon fiber hd800. Thoughts?

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 47
have only made wet lays to fabricate keyboard parts and seen someone do resin infusions so far, need to get a vacuum pump if i wanna continue. Hd800 parts have many corners so 8H satin weave is perhaps the best option.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 47
i would buy one 
devil_face.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 47

Quote:
 Would greatly improve the acoustic properties of the hd800

You cant possibly know how changing the mechanical properties of a headphone will affect the sound before such a drastic mod. The plastic Senn used was selected for its anti-resonance properties. 

On that note, no mater what they sound like im sure people will flock to them.

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 47
Carbon fiber is used in the qualia as well as the earlier senn hd6xx series. I saw the jubilee hd580 in carbon fiber and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Not a fan of the whole plastic look and it appears that no head fier has yet disassembled the hd800 other than cable removal, pad removal and removal of some plastic for a hardwire, which is understandable of course. I'm looking to completely disassemble it to individual discrete parts as soon as i get the hd800 in the mail next week. From pics, I noticed screws when you remove the pads, just looking for pointers so i dont screw a 1400 dolla headphone up

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 47
Oh and i also want to reverse the colours on the earpads. Substitutr the silver bits with black cured solid carbon fiber and rrplace all the black bits (except for the mesh) with either molded solid alufiber(aluminium plated carbon fiber strands), or just ordinary carbon fiber painted over with metallic automotive paint with a pearl sheen. Would look like a stealthy sports car. The headband however I would keep black. I can see a problem however as I would have to make the two halves of each component then fuse them together to make the part (so they would actually release from the mold). This however could be used as an opportunity to sandwich 1 or 2 layers of other materials in between and set it with epoxy resin to experiment with its effects on the acoustics (rrsonance reduction perhaps). Got my eyes on kevlar cos its used in speaker cones for its stiffness

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 47
THat there is 4H satin weave.IMO looks a bit nicer than 8h but not as tight a weave.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 47

Quote:
I saw the jubilee hd580 in carbon fiber and it looked absolutely gorgeous. 

The HD580 CF have decals. They peel off. The carbon fiber used in the family of phones is not used in the "common" woven fabric reinforced with resin (as on the destruct-o-matic 010) but simply layered into the plastics. 

On that note this does seem like a fun project, Im interested to hear how it turns out.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 47
The only thing I'm afraid of is peeling off all the paint on the original parts. Need to research on a good releasing agent which prevents this from happenning. Shottie patenting this idea if it goes well, never seen it done before :)

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 47
Doesn't fit my small budget. Looking to spend a grand at most as I am doing for a couple of friends as well.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 47
Just how much durability do you need? The HD-800 has been out for a good 18 months and I can't recall a thread about one breaking.

Nevertheless, this is an interesting project. Maybe you could turn it into a small business. Let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back