Tips for the UM3X?
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

GosuEric

Head-Fier
Currently running on the Comply Foams, though it seems like it'd be a bit expensive to constantly buy packs every few months or so. I'd prefer a cheaper alternative, or maybe one that's more durable.

I was thinking of the UM56 tips, though I'm not sure I want to drop that much on them yet, being a poor college student and just buying the headphones about a month ago. I do plan to eventually have them reshelled by either UM or the newer company in the US (Forget the name), but that's later.

I'm not sure what tips work with the UM3X, and I realize that different tips change the sound etc, but I'm looking for suggestions all the same. Anything that would last longer than the Complys or even just be cheaper overall would be great.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 25
Shure black foam sleeve, aka olive. They last very long and can be washed. My first pair is almost 2 years now and still hold up very well (with some cleaning form time to time).

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 25
Beware! The time is coming when you'll find yourself staring at any plastic tube of the right dimensions and think, "If I cut it and drilled it, that could be my next tip."

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 25
Beware. Many people including myself can't use black olives on UM3X. They don't stay on and get stuck in our ears.

I think complys are a cheaper option that U56 considering you could buy about 75 pairs for what one pair of U56 costs.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GosuEric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently running on the Comply Foams, though it seems like it'd be a bit expensive to constantly buy packs every few months or so. I'd prefer a cheaper alternative, or maybe one that's more durable.

I was thinking of the UM56 tips, though I'm not sure I want to drop that much on them yet, being a poor college student and just buying the headphones about a month ago. I do plan to eventually have them reshelled by either UM or the newer company in the US (Forget the name), but that's later.

I'm not sure what tips work with the UM3X, and I realize that different tips change the sound etc, but I'm looking for suggestions all the same. Anything that would last longer than the Complys or even just be cheaper overall would be great.

The Klipsch gels are a good long-term alternative. For comfort, none are better. And you can get them direct from Klipsch. Problem is, size. They only sell one size in packs, I think. I use the large single flange gels and they seal well, are very soft, and will last forever.

I have the UM56s and while they do offer a better sound enhancement, for some weird reason they are not as comfy as I had hoped. Not sure why, but the UM3X sticks out a little (not flush in the ear) with the custom sleeves, and that's also annoying. Luckily, the UM56s are perfect for my im616s, made by Ety, and also fit my Klipsch S4s. With those two phones, the custom comfort is better for some reason. Go figure.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 25
Any plans to reshell it into a custom UM3X?
biggrin.gif

It should provide more comfort and will also save money on the long run as you do not need to purchase foams.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 25
Not really, as I am looking for someone to trade for the W3s. I had the W3s first, and wanted to try out the UM3X. I guess I am more of a V-shaped listener than one who needs the studio monitor variety IEM. Not saying I don't like the UM3X, but the W3s were more to my taste. No matter, though, for the OP the Klipsch gels are one good option.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 25
Extra long comply foam FTW! They are light and open up the soundstage, but are very comfortable and easy to use.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 25
I used the Klipsch gels on them and it worked fine for now. Sounded a bit less spacious but not too bad.

I had the Complys get stuck in my ear twice now which turns me off a bit. If the olives also tend to do that then maybe the UM56 is my best bet for now. I do plan to eventually reshell these though so maybe doing that now...

Either way thanks for the suggestions guys!

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by erwinrommel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any plans to reshell it into a custom UM3X?
biggrin.gif

It should provide more comfort and will also save money on the long run as you do not need to purchase foams.

I'm thinking of doing that with mine...seeing as Fisher just intro'd that $80 dealio thing.

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm a big fan of the Shure soft flex sleeves. The large grays are perfect for me: great sound insulation, and, for me, much better sound than the complys.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 25
I use the Shure Black Olives in large size and have no problems. Tried many others, but for me the Shures offer Incredible isolation and long wearing comfort. Can wear em for 4 hours with no issues. Easy to clean too!

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 25
Yes, I use the double flange tips from Klipsch Custom 2 which has recently retired, they sit perfectly well and are really really comfortable ONCE YOU GET THEM IN A NICE POSITION, but only in the recent month or so, after putting them on the um3x it started sometimes to get stuck in my ear when I pull the um3x out. Also, the Klipsch eargels do become a bit loose over time, saying about six months they started to sometimes to get loose and its not easy to find them in a bag. Haven't tried the shure olives yet though cos I m really happy with the Klipsch on um3x and it proves to be more comfortable to my ears than wearing a K701 even though I m sitting, but that's only my personal opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back