Tips for studying?
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 60
I like to study at home, because I have everything I "need" at home such as food, drinks, and etc.
biggrin.gif
I can't sit still for very long and I need to walk around when I am studying.

The thing is as you and others mentioned there are lots of distractions at home. The upside is that most of these distraction falls under three categories:

- human
- electronics
biggrin.gif

- sleep

The first can be largely mitigated by going nocturnal.

For the second, you can pass small but important parts to others for "safe keeping". For PC, game console and etc, it can be the power cable or the power adapter. Then you can stare at your pretty stuffs that are practically dead. Remember to keep away other power cables too that are usable on you PC, never trust an addict.
biggrin.gif
A DAP for yourself probably won't do much damage. but I prefer to be quiet.

For the third, saturate yourself with sleep when possible, sleep until you can no longer sleep. It also keep your mind fresh and help your memory.

For science and mathematics subjects understanding is key. Once you get a complete understanding of a subject you'd be able to take most things being thrown at you. And armed with old exams and "popular" cases, you'll be largely invincible. The other thing is to practice doing the problems with your pen. I once made the mistake of only rehearsing the problem in my mind, I was able to answer the questions in the exams, but not within the acceptable time frame. There is a Chinese saying "to discuss war on paper", meaning one can do something in theory, but not in practice.
smily_headphones1.gif

For factual subjects such as history, my approach is to read it like a story book. In the early stage I'd read the chapters from the beginning to end without trying to remember anything, let your subconsciousness work here. After a few times you should be able to remember the gross sequence of events, then you can start working on parts that has lots of points that need to be consciously worked on. I like to remember a total number of points to a certain question to ascertain that I am not missing out anything. For example there are 7 points to the question "why does the chicken cross the road", I'd made sure that I remember there are 7 points, even though I might not remember what the 7 points are. It helps my mind to form a structure and I can work to fill in the blanks later.

Other subject are likely to be a mix of these two extremes, and you can just adapt accordingly.

Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 60
You've been offered lots of fine advice here. When I was an undergraduate, I was the king of cramming. Bloody awful that. Loads of exam anxiety. I managed to survive, graduate, and go further on in my education. What saved me was that most of my exams in my major area (sociology) were take-homes. (I took my BA at Luther College and my BA/MA at the University of Regina in Canada) I'd find myself writing/typing (no computers for me back then) between 5 and 10 pages per question. I remember in one 10 day period, I wrote 160 pages or so in finals. Yah, I got all A's that semester.

In grad school (in the US), I had a few tests, but I got to the point of daily review, study groups (going over notes, talking about the content, beer reward after an evening session once a week), and really immersing myself in my subject meant that there was no more cramming, no nearly sleepless nights worrying before tests (i'd usually read over notes, go to a move, hit the sack at a reasonable hour and get a good 7 hours sleep, get up, coffee up, eat a bit of breakfast, go over the notes one more time, and go take the test).

Going to class, taking good notes, reading materials over carefully, going over stuff regularly, a weekly study group, asking my prof questions, all made tests pretty easy. My doctoral exams were a cakewalk. I actually enjoyed the 8 hour test (wrote 72 pages, double-spaced text, detailed outlines).
Get in the habit of periodic review and tests become less anxiety provoking.

Where to study? I used the library ruthlessly. I found a spot I liked (a study carrel) and practically lived there. Home had too many distractions, although I would read quite a bit in my easy chair while listening to ambiant music.

Good luck in your examinatins.

Cheers!

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 60
Don't buy Grados.

Don't listen to music with lyrics or even moderatly paced jazz (with Grados, maybe other 'phones that are immersive
biggrin.gif
).

My friend gets nervous all the time before tests and I never do... I don't know why, but if you're the nervous type then take a note from a relaxed friend (not me, because I don't know how I do it).

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do find myself getting distracted alot... Like I think 'Hmm I wonder if there's any questions on my auction' and I go check my emails, then I end up doing heaps of other stuff while I'm on the computer.

I don't think burning it all is practical
wink.gif
But maybe I could just go into another room and shut all the doors and tell my sister to not let me out. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to.

Lol, I'm exactly the same. It all starts with checking e-mails and automatically my head-fi tab opens up, among with other forums. Then I hear a good song and turn up the volume a little and listen to the music. After I finished browsing my forums I get my books and begin to study. It's funny how I'm always thirsty or need to go to the toilet at such moment. So, I go to the toilet or get something to drink and take a seat at my desk. Ha, study. Sure. But before that, I rather check my e-mail. Then by checking e-mails automatically my head-fi tabs opens up, among with other forums...
Studying is hard..
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 60
One more thing: Aim high.

When I was in first year, a staff member quipped, "Aim for As and you'll get As; aim for Bs and you might get Cs; aim for Cs and we'll see you again next year." Not always true, of course, but you get the picture.

So, aim high. I generally aim for 100%. It's worked pretty well so far, seeing as the worst I ever did at undergrad was 83%.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing: Aim high.

When I was in first year, a staff member quipped, "Aim for As and you'll get As; aim for Bs and you might get Cs; aim for Cs and we'll see you again next year." Not always true, of course, but you get the picture.

So, aim high. I generally aim for 100%. It's worked pretty well so far, seeing as the worst I ever did at undergrad was 83%.

Building on this, think about it this way -- the better you do in school, the better gear you can buy later on!
o2smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 60
So many suggestions... Thanks guys!
beerchug.gif

How much sleep is a good amount? Normally I go to bed around 10:30 and get up around 7:30. Is that enough? I'll be sleeping in more on the days of the exams since we get a study period first... Probably another hour.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #24 of 60
I've been to Christchurch, do you people there get to sleep that much?
biggrin.gif
I don't even have 6 hours of sleep on most days.

How much to sleep varies from person to person, and also the quality of sleep one is getting. If you can no longer sleep even when you try to, that would be a good clue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to Christchurch, do you people there get to sleep that much?
biggrin.gif
I don't even have 6 hours of sleep on most days.

Why is that?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much to sleep varies from person to person, and also the quality of sleep one is getting. If you can no longer sleep even when you try to, that would be a good clue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah ok. I do get insomnia sometimes, mostly in the holidays when I'm not doing anything during the day. I think what I'm getting should be enough.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So many suggestions... Thanks guys!
beerchug.gif

How much sleep is a good amount? Normally I go to bed around 10:30 and get up around 7:30. Is that enough? I'll be sleeping in more on the days of the exams since we get a study period first... Probably another hour.

I consider 6 hrs of solid sleep as good amount. it's better than 10 hours of sleep-wake-sleep-wake patterns.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #28 of 60
Hi there, I'm currently in college, and it seems like all I do is study. I can offer a few things which do (and don't) work for me.

First of all, removing distractions is important. For myself in a science degree, I require wikipedia and other online tools to understand the odd things and not using the computer for other things is the most difficult distraction to resist.

Second, I listen to music on ipod headphones or on my crappy computer speakers. it's not great, but it provides some background noise without being of sufficient fidelity to distract me. I find if I listen to music on decent headphones I end up just sitting there listening to music and not accomplishing anything.

Third, and most importantly I think that it is important to understand what type of learner you are (visual, audio, kinesthetic). Personally, I'm a very kinesthetic learner and so I normally create note sheets over and over again when I'm attempting to learn something. I think I get more out of writing out the sheets than actually studying from them afterwards.

Finally, get out of your house. This is easy for me to do, as we have about 17 libraries on campus, but if you can find a quiet study space away from your house that's good. I find the further away the better, so I have more incentive not to wander back and stop doing work.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #29 of 60
About removing distractions, do you think it would be worth investing in a decent netbook just for homework and school stuff? That way it wouldn't be good enough to play games (and wouldn't have any installed like my current) and stuff so I'd be less likely to do it.

Oh also, can anyone give me a wee bit of help with some maths?

x squared - 3x - 4 = 0

I need to find the value of x. How can this be done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back