Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait... How did you get to this?
frown.gif

Edit: Oh wait I see.

I would write it as

x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0 (+4)

But now I can't figure out how you did the rest since you edited it out
frown.gif

Do you have the answers done already somewhere?

If you do, and there is two answers, then follow this helpful website.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #36 of 60
Planar's link did it. Man I realised how old I am.
biggrin.gif

x^2 - 3x - 4 =0
x^2 - 4x + x - 4 = 0
x (x - 4) + (x - 4) = 0
(x + 1) (x - 4) = 0

so it's either:
x + 1 = 0
x = -1

or:
x - 4 = 0
x = 4

I need you guys to teach me more maths.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the answers done already somewhere?

If you do, and there is two answers, then follow this helpful website.

OH so its one of those Either Or things.

I did know how to do them... But I didn't know that method was applied to this type of equation.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #39 of 60
Everyone's pretty much said everything already... I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find using a pen and paper helps tremendously. I love computers, and use them all day, but sometimes if I'm stuck on a problem, whether it's an assignment or just getting my head around something I'm studying, just having the pen and writing/drawing (sometimes what looks like pages of scribbles) really helps to express my thoughts to myself and solve the problems.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NCEA, fraseyboy? I just finished my Honours degree last year, so exam tips are still fresh in mind. Here are some pointers from psychological research and personal experience.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the context in which you study matters. You should study in an environment as similar as possible to the environment of your exam. So, study sitting up at a desk in the day time. If possible, study without music. Unless you plan to do your exam wired, study without caffeine.

As you know, rehearsal is important for memory formation. However, there are better ways to rehearse that just to read and re-read your notes. Try making notes from your textbook (etc.). Then, try making mind-maps from your notes. Then, try making flashcards. The act of making notes, transferring them from one format to another, helps you to remember. And it's less boring that reading and re-reading. Also, at the end of it you'll have mind maps and flashcards, and those are very helpful. You can get software to make these for free, by the way.

It's important, not just to sleep, but to sleep at appropriate times. Sleep helps to strengthen memory, especially the kind of memory you want for exams. So, study the night before the exam and then sleep. Don't sleep and wake up early to study right before. Kapice?

Edit: Yeap, pace yourself. There's a lot of evidence that learning a quantity of information over several sessions is better than learning the same quantity at one go.

Ta-da! If it helps my credibility, I graduated top of my class and top of the Science division at Otago.

wow.
anyway, i saw this a tad too late.
I suffered so much from head-fi that i couldn't concentrate on my work. Now it's in the ending stages and i've flopped various papers.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NCEA, fraseyboy? I just finished my Honours degree last year, so exam tips are still fresh in mind. Here are some pointers from psychological research and personal experience.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the context in which you study matters. You should study in an environment as similar as possible to the environment of your exam. So, study sitting up at a desk in the day time. If possible, study without music. Unless you plan to do your exam wired, study without caffeine.

As you know, rehearsal is important for memory formation. However, there are better ways to rehearse that just to read and re-read your notes. Try making notes from your textbook (etc.). Then, try making mind-maps from your notes. Then, try making flashcards. The act of making notes, transferring them from one format to another, helps you to remember. And it's less boring that reading and re-reading. Also, at the end of it you'll have mind maps and flashcards, and those are very helpful. You can get software to make these for free, by the way.

It's important, not just to sleep, but to sleep at appropriate times. Sleep helps to strengthen memory, especially the kind of memory you want for exams. So, study the night before the exam and then sleep. Don't sleep and wake up early to study right before. Kapice?

Edit: Yeap, pace yourself. There's a lot of evidence that learning a quantity of information over several sessions is better than learning the same quantity at one go.

Ta-da! If it helps my credibility, I graduated top of my class and top of the Science division at Otago.

great advice. Mind map (I like to call them outlines) is very useful when one or more parts of the subject matter affect one or more parts of the same or another subject matter -- and do not write sentences like that for your notes
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

So many suggestions... Thanks guys!
beerchug.gif

How much sleep is a good amount? Normally I go to bed around 10:30 and get up around 7:30. Is that enough? I'll be sleeping in more on the days of the exams since we get a study period first... Probably another hour.

You're most welcome!

9 hours seems plenty. Of course it depends from person to person, and probably age as well, how much sleep you "need". I have problems sleeping more than r7 1/2 - 8 hours myself.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #43 of 60
I have to wake up at around 7.30 or 8.30. I usually go to bed at 11.30 but I easily cross that sometimes. Also, it's hard for me to actually get some sleep when I'm in bed. Lying in bed for a good hour without sleeping is not strange here.
frown.gif

I think on average I get around 7 hours sleep.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

OH so its one of those Either Or things.

I did know how to do them... But I didn't know that method was applied to this type of equation.

How else would you solve that type of question? AFAIK that's the only way you're ever taught to solve them. (when it's a polynomial of degree 2)

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #45 of 60
So fraseyboy, have you been able to read up for yesterdays and Thursdays exam?
Anyway, best wishes for the exams!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back