Tipple Fi10: Disappointing Noise Isolation & all-around performance:
Mar 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

iDesign

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased the UltimateEars TippleFi 10 and have been using the small black silicon ear cushions but have found the fit and noise isolation to be disappointing. I would like to hear feedback on other universal (or custom tips) that are available/ recommended for the TippleFi 10?

I also would be interested to have some information about when Logitech acquired the company and how its changed the brand? The customer service and sales support is one of the worst I have ever interacted with. This is very disappointing as I was an early supporter of the brand. If anyone representing UltimateEars sees this post please feel free to send a Private Message.

Best,
iDesign

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 24
Silicone tips are not very good isolating outside noise, however, they generally last longer than the softer comply tips such as these: Amazon.com: Comply T-500 Foam Tips - 3 Pair Pack: Electronics.

It sounds like you may want to try the medium size of these if the small silicone tips are too small. They should give you the proper fit and isolation you are looking for. Many on the forum also use the Shure comply tips.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 24
As for the fit, I did the F/S mod by swapping the R and L pieces (very carefully!), and then made some custom foamies using cheap CVS earplugs.

Sounds fairly nice to me IMO. It has good fit, stays in, and provides great isolation (especially with the foamies) that I can't even walk around the streets with it.

I think the bass was overall lacking when I first got them ,but after about 100 hours of burn in, the earphones opened up quite nicely, and I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my custom super.fi 5 pros. (although, obviously they don't nearly give enough isolation as customs)

But just today (ironically), the phones stopped functioning, as I heard no noise coming out from either ears.. I panicked and called customer support, and they were kind enough to offer me a new pair (although they claimed my warranty ended october...but I bought these from the Amazon Deal which was in december..)

I'll be getting a UPS label soon so I can ship it out for replacement. But they told me now my warranty is invalid with this replacement.
Oh wells.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 24
Thank you for the Shure comply tip suggestion. I have to admit that thus far the UltimateEars TripleF1 10 has brought me one of the worst product experiences I have ever had. I could not think any less of this product--terrible.

Best,
iDesign

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased the UltimateEars TippleFi 10 and have been using the small black silicon ear cushions but have found the fit and noise isolation to be disappointing. I would like to hear feedback on other universal (or custom tips) that are available/ recommended for the TippleFi 10?

I also would be interested to have some information about when Logitech acquired the company and how its changed the brand? The customer service and sales support is one of the worst I have ever interacted with. This is very disappointing as I was an early supporter of the brand. If anyone representing UltimateEars sees this post please feel free to send a Private Message.

Best,
iDesign

neither the flip-mod nor comply's really got it did it for me... getting proper isolation and comfort always took a little work (or maybe I just don't have the right shape in the ears), and I could never wear them too long.

you mentioned how you wanted feedback about custom tips... based on prices I've come upon in my own research, and those I've seen come up in this forum, it would either cost you about the same (or cheaper) to just have them completely reshelled by UM or Fisher. I'll leave it to those who've gotten custom tips to comment how those are, but I went with the latter option (see my sig) and I'm LOVING my reshelled TF10s now--no more issues with comfort or isolation
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be getting a UPS label soon so I can ship it out for replacement. But they told me now my warranty is invalid with this replacement.
Oh wells.

Did they say why your warranty was voided? Things like this make me a bit uneasy about the customer service I'll have to deal with if the same or similar case happens to me.

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 24
Im curious about having the TripleFi 10s fully custom molded by Unique Melody or Fisher. Can someone tell me if any other companies do this modification?

I would also be interested to know if what the thoughts are on making this investment vs. purchasing an another IEM that was designed as a custom piece. In other words, are the internal parts of the UE 10 Pros different from TripleFi 10?

Best,
iDesign

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 24
try doing the flip-flop mod and/or maybe get some sony hybrid tips.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 24
Meanwhile theres a tf10 appreciation thread a few threads away from this one on the page...lol.

Its funny how some people love something, and some hate it.

Sometimes i dont agree with some reviews also.

I was curious to try these, and had the chance saturday at a meet, and my mind was on other things and i didnt do it. I wish i had. I have SF3, and my Turbine Gold that i just got are sounding better to me.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im curious about having the TripleFi 10s fully custom molded by Unique Melody or Fisher. Can someone tell me if any other companies do this modification?

I would also be interested to know if what the thoughts are on making this investment vs. purchasing an another IEM that was designed as a custom piece. In other words, are the internal parts of the UE 10 Pros different from TripleFi 10?

I can't answer the second question as I dont know what the UE customs are like in comparison to the triplefi's, but I've remolded my super.fi 5 pros with additional drivers, and I have to say it was well worth the investment.

Currently running through my Ibasso D3 and ipod classic, and I prefer it a whole lot better than the previous universal IEM fit. Isolation is a big plus too.

But for now, I suggest the comply tips solution. But if you're cheap like me, you can make your own by punching a hole through the center of half-cut earplugs that you can find in CVS or other pharmacies. you can probably do a search and come up with a few DIY methods for custom tips

Hope that helps.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtsai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did they say why your warranty was voided? Things like this make me a bit uneasy about the customer service I'll have to deal with if the same or similar case happens to me.

They told me that the warranty already was void because supposedly it ended October (before I even purchased it. How they figured this out, I have no clue).

But the lady in customer service (who was pretty nice over the phone) said because they want to guarantee customer satisfaction, they will give a grace period over my non-existent warranty date and give me a new pair. - but the new pair will not be covered under warranty.

I will not be purchasing another product from this brand again, let alone from logitech if I can avoid it.

I keep hearing negative feedbacks from this company. Avoid if you can!

May 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 24
I wanted to take a second to update this thread to share updated impressions after switching to the Comply Tips for several months. The isolation and fit is significantly improved but the performance of TippleFi 10 is still wholly disappointing no matter the source or amp. The Ultimate Ears fall short on every level--terrible. 

May 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 24
^ Persuade it to stop drinking.

Edit:  It really is all about timing.  This response was for the OP not the previous poster but the previous poster got in first.  The post relates to "TippleFi".  Any kind of humour is bad when you have to explain it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back