Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #646 of 1,162
Anyone know what the TOTAL power draw is on the UD100/UD110/UD120?
A decent metric could be obtained by running music or pink noise at moderate volume, with headphones that work okay the Stoner device.
Oh ... you've gotta break the power line ... so get out your X-acto and side-cutter...
Do that and we'll get you boyz set up with as DIY power-cleaner splice job ... 

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #647 of 1,162
Here's something else those of you with deep pockets [33.11 EUR for 1 pcs] may want to try...

USB 2.0 Isolated - Galvanically isolated USB 2.0 Full Speed Adapter from https://electronics-shop.dk/usb-isolator

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #648 of 1,162
More IMPORTANT suggestions ... don't go cheap on this, folks ... those Petronas and Taipei 101 skyscrapers need $$ to build ... 

For improving the Stoner, forget audio supply sources---think INDUSTRIAL or MEDICAL GRADE...they separates the boyz from the menz  john ...

Industrial Grade USB Hubs ([like the $350.00 above] are designed for the harshest environments. They are EMC tested to meet heavy industrial standards. The four port hubs are UL listed for Class 1 Division 2 hazardous locations. "
It needs ext. power ... and it's datasheet recommends the manuf's very own $50USD medical-grade-model...http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Datasheets/PS12VLB-INT-MED-3312ds-pdf.pdf

Yupper, cowboyz,... you've gotta max out the Visa again ... but man is that Stoner soundin' nice...
...y'all come back now :wink:

Oh, a shameful plug (no pun intended) for BB Electronics (who make the industrial/medical stuff above) ... they are from USA .... my hood ... so please support our troops ... err...skyscrapers ...

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #650 of 1,162
Before anyone invested into USB isolator, I want to point out that most of them doesn't support USB 2.0 high speed that is needed for resolution over 24/96.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #651 of 1,162

You need an Y type USB cable. The joined end is leading to a device (UD110v2 in this case). One branch is leading to a computer USB port and the 2nd to an external power supply (prefferably battery or linear +5V power supply). The cables of this type are for example:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161058-ifi-gemini-usb-cable.aspx
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46
but you would need USB type A female connector for UD100/110/120.
I made mine myself. The data branch does not contain the +5V wire (it contains DATA+, DATA-  and ground) and the power branch contains only +5V wire and ground.

Summary

Y type USB cable. USB pwr Cable will this do the job ? Source link : https://electronics-shop.dk/?id=116&currency=EUR
battery or linear +5V power supply - Will this 30kmAh backup battery charger USB work?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E1UDFHK or http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007TSRDCO
As a power source?

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #652 of 1,162
I don't feel that even a fully linear psu usb isolator would make any difference in the UD110mk2's design, the improvement is miniscule anyways. I feel that the point of the UD110mk2 is more to use it on its own. 

Just to point out, the medical grade stuff is more reliable, more safe against ESD and less radiation but that means little in these devices. Maybe you are trolling on getting such a product for the little Stoner. Also the medical grade stuff is not exactly low noise or linear psu either. 

Battery chargers tend to use a boost or electronics that can pump a lot of noise into circuits, I would not recommend you use that, get a linear psu. 

To prove my point, the UD110mk2's circuit is not particularly great with its power supply which seems to be varying in DC levels resulting in a fluctuating waveform at low volume levels. It does not seem to improve with a linear PSU either. I'm using the ab-systems.hk adum4160 isolator and linear PSU(with toroidal tranny). 

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #653 of 1,162
  I don't feel that even a fully linear psu usb isolator would make any difference in the UD110mk2's design, the improvement is miniscule anyways. I feel that the point of the UD110mk2 is more to use it on its own. 

Just to point out, the medical grade stuff is more reliable, more safe against ESD and less radiation but that means little in these devices. Maybe you are trolling on getting such a product for the little Stoner. Also the medical grade stuff is not exactly low noise or linear psu either. 

Battery chargers tend to use a boost or electronics that can pump a lot of noise into circuits, I would not recommend you use that, get a linear psu. 

To prove my point, the UD110mk2's circuit is not particularly great with its power supply which seems to be varying in DC levels resulting in a fluctuating waveform at low volume levels. It does not seem to improve with a linear PSU either. I'm using the ab-systems.hk adum4160 isolator and linear PSU(with toroidal tranny). 

Thanks - So I should use it in stock mode. Because my Samsung S4 output is low therefore I want to boost the output.
Am a newbie in this head-fi.
My setup : Samsung S4>custom 18V cmoybb amp >  Beyer DT770 pro 250 ohms 
And I'm looking a UD120 or ODAC as a DAC?

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #654 of 1,162
   Also the medical grade stuff is not exactly low noise or linear psu either. 

What, R U kiddin' us??
Duuuuuuude ... LOW NOISE is 'xactly what "medical-grade" 'quipment is designed to spec for.
EMC & Safety 
EmissionsFCC class B, CISPR11 class B, EN6100-3-2, -3
ImmunityEN61000-4-2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -8, -11
Certified by TUV to the following: 
TUV-RL.png
cTUVus
UL 60601-1
CAN/CSA-22.2 No.601
CB per IEC6061-1 2nd and 3rd Edition
CE marked to LVD directive

Story tyme boyz and gurlz:
When I went to the big H for my last lathro -- I'm obese -- I took my el cheapo emachines laptop with me ... and the first time I plugged it in, the dude on the other side of the curtain -- my "roommate" who was in for vasectomy reversal AND pacemaker change (the surgeon was having a 2-for-1 special that week) -- flatlined. They were de-fibbin' for what seemed like days when my bedpan changer figured it out ... yankin' my lap's adapter outta the 120 ... and the dude's pace was good as new. Hot damn ... slicker n' snot :wink:

Meanwhile, for those of you goin' to the big H -- fact: most folks start off there and expire there :wink: -- and of course you want DEATH METAL music via your USB DAC ... probably the only thing allowed is somthin' like ...
ELPAC's MWA020 Class II 20 Watt Medical Desktop Power Supply ...

http://www.iccnexergy.com/elpac/medical-power-supplies/external/mwa020-class-ii/

...the 5V (20W!!!) version of the above y'all waitin' to get your paws on can be found at Digi-Key, Farnell or Mouser... for about $30.00USD (wow ... cheap... $50 for USBDAC ... and then the PSU ... luv those economies of scale...and you get to live)...

Y'all come back now ... ya hear :wink:

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #655 of 1,162
Yeah, just keep it stock and simple and add an amp or get a bigger battery. I had a friend used a 5V battery to power his Raspy Pi which gave him noise issues but YMMV if you really want to try a battery supply.

/double facepalm on abuse of emc standards compliance, I give up, you win kay?

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #656 of 1,162
  Yeah, just keep it stock and simple and add an amp or get a bigger battery. I had a friend used a 5V battery to power his Raspy Pi which gave him noise issues but YMMV if you really want to try a battery supply.

Battery use has pluses ...
...and drawbacks ... can't supply enough instantaneous current from a chemical reaction ... you can DIY an add-on "capacitor bank".

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #657 of 1,162
lol this thread got really derailed about weird stuff. just a question: can you guys even tell the difference between all that in a double blind test? i feel like the SQ differences would probably be negligible if any. lol.

the stoner acoustic dac is budget equipment. if you want to get fancy, i think it would make more sense to just find a more expensive dac rather than buying random expensive accessories for this. not worth it imo considering how subtle the difference in SQ dacs provide anyways.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #658 of 1,162
the stoner acoustic dac is budget equipment. if you want to get fancy, i think it would make more sense to just find a more expensive dac rather than buying random expensive accessories for this. not worth it imo considering how subtle the difference in SQ dacs provide anyways.

You completely missed the boat, dude .... it ain't 'bout "makin' sense" ... it's all about 'sperimentin' and havin' fun ... pushin' the budget stuff as far as it'll go (couplin' it with happenin' PSUs, etc.) ...
So an empirical/experimental objective may be: how's she (Miss Budget)  holdin' out -- after all this tweaking -- 'gainst da 'spensive stuff.
If yer JUST noticin' the asymmetry of folks pairin' up budget with 'spensive ... get outta the closet ... this practice ain't new, and it's ubiquitous (i.e., found in any audio forum, community, message board). Just look at the sig-line gear list members display below each post.
Sigh!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #659 of 1,162
Going back to the actual topic of UD120 - I just dumped the USB descriptor out and confirmed it is running on async mode. Rejoice.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #660 of 1,162
  Going back to the actual topic of UD120 - I just dumped the USB descriptor out and confirmed it is running on async mode. Rejoice.

How is the UD120 not that you have had more time with it Clieos ? I am currently listening to a pair of tenore with the ud110v1 on my girl's pc and it sounds really good these IEMs paired with the UD110 go really well together. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back