Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #616 of 1,162

UD120-1.jpg

First impression is, it is at least as good as the UD110 MK1. I can't give them an A/Bing as MK1's driver is incompatible with UD120's driver, so I can't have them install at the same time.

..and how's that have to do with what we are discussing here?

You could try to use the one on your notebook and the other on your pc or smartphone for comparison.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #617 of 1,162
Too much work at the moment to do detail listening.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #618 of 1,162
Clieos i know you have had too much on your plate to listen thoroughly. But do you think sonically it is just the same as tr ud110?

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #619 of 1,162
Crap some how i miss what you said about quality of sound my mistake

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #620 of 1,162
Yep, I'll have to install the UD110 mk2 on another PC before I can actually compare them. But so far I have heard nothing bad from UD120. However, given the same DAC, any expectation of vast difference in SQ is probably unrealistic.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #621 of 1,162
  Yep, I'll have to install the UD110 mk2 on another PC before I can actually compare them. But so far I have heard nothing bad from UD120. However, given the same DAC, any expectation of vast difference in SQ is probably unrealistic.

So more like an extra 16$ for the housing. Should be ok since I would had to break something for the housing and had to pay another couple of bucks for an extension cable

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #622 of 1,162

I will be honest I am little disappointed in the sense that I was hoping in further improvements sonically. Grated some people wll be excited because of the high resolution, but that could mean little to me because all my music is 96khz and or 44.1, so the extra bit depth and resolution is not worth the the upgrade, however the fact that is has a nice little chassis and 3.5 mm dongle is actually a good thing. Now is it plug and play on the phone you tried it on like the UD110 mk2? or is UAPP needed to even play the music, because as much as I love my FLACs on my pc it is unrealistic for my use on my phone, and use spotify which for streaming is very good resolution, and I do not notice much loss on detail and or sound quality using this method via phone. Keep me updated friend.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #623 of 1,162
I wonder how the ud120 compares to the relatively new 'the key' from alo audio. Same DAC chip and perhaps same receiver?! Both can do 32 bit.

I've also heard that if you use windows volume control, the system bumps down the bit depth a notch if not set at 100%. If this is true, having a 32bit capable DAC might show an I.provement on 24 bit playback...perhaps someone could elaborate.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #625 of 1,162
  So more like an extra 16$ for the housing. Should be ok since I would had to break something for the housing and had to pay another couple of bucks for an extension cable

Not just the housing. You will get 32/384 playback for HD files. The new precision clock also means likely improvement on jitter and overall accuracy. Forgot to mention there is a new LDO regulator as well, providing cleaner power and possibly lower SNR. However, things like jitter and SNR won't be immediately apparent to the ears.

I will be honest I am little disappointed in the sense that I was hoping in further improvements sonically. Grated some people wll be excited because of the high resolution, but that could mean little to me because all my music is 96khz and or 44.1, so the extra bit depth and resolution is not worth the the upgrade, however the fact that is has a nice little chassis and 3.5 mm dongle is actually a good thing. Now is it plug and play on the phone you tried it on like the UD110 mk2? or is UAPP needed to even play the music, because as much as I love my FLACs on my pc it is unrealistic for my use on my phone, and use spotify which for streaming is very good resolution, and I do not notice much loss on detail and or sound quality using this method via phone. Keep me updated friend.

I have not tried the UD110 MK2. But UD120 will need to work with UAPP, very likely because it runs in async mode (need to confirm yet) which Android built in USB audio driver doesn't natively support.

I wonder how the ud120 compares to the relatively new 'the key' from alo audio. Same DAC chip and perhaps same receiver?! Both can do 32 bit.

I've also heard that if you use windows volume control, the system bumps down the bit depth a notch if not set at 100%. If this is true, having a 32bit capable DAC might show an I.provement on 24 bit playback...perhaps someone could elaborate.

The Key uses a XMOS USB receiver, as far as I know. Generally speaking, the analog stage after the DAC usually has the most impact on SQ. But given PCM5102A already has the analog stage integrated into the chip itself, the difference in SQ between different products that use the same chip will be small.

Where can I order UD120?

Not release yet, but should be soon, I hope.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #626 of 1,162
hello guys this dac stoner acoustic UD110 is best than Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC?
tell me something i have one china smartphone with mtk chip, will sound better with one of these 2?
im planning get the nx1 topping amp too...

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #627 of 1,162
  Okay. just received the UD120 this morning. Basically the DAC chip is the same as UD110, which is TI's PCM5102A. The major hardware change is on the USB receiver and clock. UD120 is now running on Saviaudio SA9227 and the same company's new audio precision clock SA8133, supports up to 32 bit / 384kHz sampling in ASIO mode or up to 32 bit / 192kHz without ASIO.

I already tried it on my Xperia Z2 and it has not problem running with UAPP.

ClieOS:
You, dude, seem to know an awful lot about the device :wink: Are you the OEM manuf. I queried about a few posts back? Seriously :wink:
Wait ... Don't tell us ... Stoner's office is in Tower 1 and you are in Tower 2:

And gettin' your Petronas paws on the latest UD1xx is just a cantilever walk away ... PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IAC ... I thought you noted way back in Post # 1 of this thread that the UD110 already had the SA9227 ?????? Do you mean to note that UD120's "... major hardware change is on the USB receiver and clock [SA8133]"

Saviaudio SA9227 and Tenor -- it's interesting that there are now dedicated audio USB/DSP decoders -- not just generic USB/DSPs, like TI 2706, that are programmed in firmware for specific task like audio, video, data. The SA9227 isn't Saviaudio top-of-the-line ... it can only go up to 96k.

That source component company has a product list here:
http://www.saviaudio.com/product.html
Not much info there ... hope their products/performance speak for themselves ...

P.S. (Just to clarify and keep current tabs on things...) ...
The orig Stoner UD100 used the TI PCM2706 USB decoder + ESS9023; then UD110 used TI's PCM5102A and what USB DSP (see above and Post 1)???

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #628 of 1,162
... IAC ... I thought you noted way back in Post # 1 of this thread that the UD110 already had the SA9227 ?????? Do you mean to note that UD120's "... major hardware change is on the USB receiver and clock [SA8133]"

Saviaudio SA9227 and Tenor -- it's interesting that there are now dedicated audio USB/DSP decoders -- not just generic USB/DSPs, like TI 2706, that are programmed in firmware for specific task like audio, video, data. The SA9227 isn't Saviaudio top-of-the-line ... it can only go up to 96k.

That source component company has a product list here:
http://www.saviaudio.com/product.html
Not much info there ... hope their products/performance speak for themselves ...

P.S. (Just to clarify and keep current tabs on things...) ...
The orig Stoner UD100 used the TI PCM2706 USB decoder + ESS9023; then UD110 used TI's PCM5102A and what USB DSP (see above and Post 1)???

I think you have them mixed up.

UD100's USB receiver is PCM2706, with ES9023 as DAC.

UD110's USB receiver is SA9027 (which is mainly competing with Tenor TE7022), with PCM5102A as DAC.

UD120's USB receiver is the new SA9227, capable of 32/384, with the same PCM5102A as DAC.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #630 of 1,162
  hello guys this dac stoner acoustic UD110 is best than Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC?
tell me something i have one china smartphone with mtk chip, will sound better with one of these 2?
im planning get the nx1 topping amp too...

I compared both but I don't have the async version of hifimediy DAC available. UD110v2 was clearly better, especially when it was powered from external power source and not from computer's USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back