Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Sep 14, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,216 of 1,427
Peace.

I actually didn't come here looking for a fight but I've been getting a bit wound up about this lately and you just happened to walk by...

I asked your age instead of posting a definition of condescending. See how that works?

I actually dont care how old you are. My 9 year old daughter and I have amazing conversations and experiences about life all the time. But hey, she's my daughter, she's probably just advanced.

I simply wish for a little more nuance in communication, especially when my hard earned is on the line.

I sometimes get a little tired of the members whose only experience of music seems to come from clubbing and car audio, especially when I'm reading the iem threads.

I apologise for taking out some frustration on you.
I apologize as well if I was seen as condescending.

My bad experience with the stock P1 comes from the fact that I bought it based on BGGAR´s recommendation, and he is someone that is known as a basshead. So I expected it to have some meat to it, like his other rec´s. Fortunately I dont have much issue with the P1 after EQ and I am looking forward to the upcoming P2.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,217 of 1,427
P1 and Bass:

The Bass in the P1's are definitely "light" compared to dynamic driver IEM's. If you use them under powered, you will definitely think they are no good. They are 10mm Planar drivers, like planar speakers of old, they require a lot of juice to deliver their potential. More than most portable players can deliver.

Properly amplified, they have bass (you still need to EQ the bass up) but it will not remind you of a "basshead" type of iem. They are remarkably detailed, fast, articulate and capable of revealing many details you have never heard before, in familiar music.

I also find they are quite sensitive to the quality at which the track was recorded. Well recorded music sounds fantastic. Tracks that were not recorded so well, the P1's will reveal the weakness in the recording process.

I do love them, I wish they didn't need an amp, that takes away from 'portability fun'.
But they do sound really good, when fed well recorded tracks, that are robustly amplified.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,218 of 1,427
P1 and Bass:

The Bass in the P1's are definitely "light" compared to dynamic driver IEM's. If you use them under powered, you will definitely think they are no good. They are 10mm Planar drivers, like planar speakers of old, they require a lot of juice to deliver their potential. More than most portable players can deliver.

Properly amplified, they have bass (you still need to EQ the bass up) but it will not remind you of a "basshead" type of iem. They are remarkably detailed, fast, articulate and capable of revealing many details you have never heard before, in familiar music.

I also find they are quite sensitive to the quality at which the track was recorded. Well recorded music sounds fantastic. Tracks that were not recorded so well, the P1's will reveal the weakness in the recording process.

I do love them, I wish they didn't need an amp, that takes away from 'portability fun'.
But they do sound really good, when fed well recorded tracks, that are robustly amplified.

I'm using mine with Hugo+TidalHiFi out of my phone. Given my experience I assume the P1 is being powered appropriately. I can't tell just from looking at specs.

I also understand my experience may differ from others given most won't drive a $149 iem with a $2000 amp.

It's just what I happened to have lying around.😉

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,219 of 1,427
I'm using mine with Hugo+TidalHiFi out of my phone. Given my experience I assume the P1 is being powered appropriately. I can't tell just from looking at specs.

I also understand my experience may differ from others given most won't drive a $149 iem with a $2000 amp.

I am running line out from a Shanling M6 to a Cayin C5 portable amp. The Cayin has 850mw, the Shanling in balanced mode has 320mw. I thought the M6 had enough, until I went to the Cayin, things improved significantly via the Cayin. Not "louder" but richer, fuller.

Have had the Cayin for years, bought for $100 used. Still see used ones on that famous auction site for the same $100. The Cayin also has a 'bass boost' switch that the P1's (and me) appreciated :)

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,220 of 1,427
Peace.

I actually didn't come here looking for a fight but I've been getting a bit wound up about this lately and you just happened to walk by...

I asked your age instead of posting a definition of condescending. See how that works?

I actually dont care how old you are. My 9 year old daughter and I have amazing conversations and experiences about life all the time. But hey, she's my daughter, she's probably just advanced.

I simply wish for a little more nuance in communication, especially when my hard earned is on the line.

I sometimes get a little tired of the members whose only experience of music seems to come from clubbing and car audio, especially when I'm reading the iem threads.

I apologise for taking out some frustration on you.

One thing i know is the older i get the less tolerance i have for heavy bass in my Music. I have two 10" subs in my roadrunner of which i built a sealed box for and i just cant stand it, im always turning it way down. I also find mid bass especially ruins it for both IEM's and headphones. For some reason though with movies, extra Bass is great! it adds to the depth and immersion of the movie when im watching in my home theater room.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,221 of 1,427

Chord Mojo power:
@1kHz – 600 Ohm 35mW @1kHz – 8 Ohm 720mW

P1's are about 20 ohms...you should be good to go :)

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,222 of 1,427
I am running line out from a Shanling M6 to a Cayin C5 portable amp. The Cayin has 850mw, the Shanling in balanced mode has 320mw. I thought the M6 had enough, until I went to the Cayin, things improved significantly via the Cayin. Not "louder" but richer, fuller.

Have had the Cayin for years, bought for $100 used. Still see used ones on that famous auction site for the same $100. The Cayin also has a 'bass boost' switch that the P1's (and me) appreciated :)

I have a c5 I got over 5 years ago stashed someplace, never really thought about pulling it out and trying the p1 one with it, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that a warm and powerful amp like that with a bass boost would be a good match for the p1. You could probably get away with no EQ as well using the c5. I use the p1 mostly with e1da powerdac because of the good power + eq. But ifi idsd micro black label in turbo mode and bass boost is also really good with p1 and allows me to listen without eq and still have quality bass performance. (4W @16ohm with the black label).

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,224 of 1,427
I have a c5 I got over 5 years ago stashed someplace, never really thought about pulling it out and trying the p1 one with it, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that a warm and powerful amp like that with a bass boost would be a good match for the p1. You could probably get away with no EQ as well using the c5. I use the p1 mostly with e1da powerdac because of the good power + eq. But ifi idsd micro black label in turbo mode and bass boost is also really good with p1 and allows me to listen without eq and still have quality bass performance. (4W @16ohm with the black label).

The C5 and the P1 are soul mates.

I use the C5 with bass boost on, at highest power setting. Also EQ'ing with the Shanling M6 to further boost bass and tame the extreme upper treble.

When at home:
I am also using the P1 powered by my Violectric V281, I run Linux, so use VLC as the player software, throw some EQ in there, VLC also includes a "stereo widening" effect that aids the P1's somewhat narrow stage.

This....makes the P1 extremely enjoyable!

VLC-P1.png

Cheers!

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,225 of 1,427
Has anyone done a side by side comparison with the P1 to the LZ A6? OR is it apples to oranges?
yes, they are different. The P1 sounds more natural while the A6 has much better SQ and technicalities and also much more fun.
(P1 + EQ that is) (stock P1 isnt a competitor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back