Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #481 of 1,427
Agreed. Any balanced output is easily converted to another balanced output and 2.5 is mostly found only on portable amps. Balanced XLR is more common on desktop amps.

@AudioObsession - as far as what you're looking for at <$150? Not sure you really have many options - everything around that price that does balanced is portable (though you can use portable amp as a desktop... ) but this SMSL might be the closest to what you want. And you might still need a DAC. https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Headphone-Amplifier-Balanced-Performance/dp/B07JQ1QDR9/ref=asc_df_B07JQ1QDR9/ - I've never heard anything from SMSL so can't vouch for quality, but reviews are out there I'm sure.

That is the EXACT amp I was looking at! :)
And I also looked into the Loxjie P20
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922685321.html

Figuring I would use the xlr 4 >> 2.5mm adaptor that @davehutch mentioned.
But then I'll need a set of 2 XLR females to 2.5mm for my SabajDa3 amp/dac
Both adapters add about $45 to the overall price..
Although I might just make the two-xlr to one-2.5mm cord myself...

****Also: Does adding an amp to the Da3 (also an amp/dac) cause any extra noise?
I mean, at that point I would be double-amping right?
I read that if you turn the volume down to "line level" that you wont end up double-amping..
Anyone have any experience with this?
Or do I just need an entire new AMP/DAC system?
Sorry, I'm very new to the whole amping thing..

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #482 of 1,427
I have been listening to the P1's extensively over the last two weeks or so and I am very impressed. I've written up a review of them here: https://www.modioaudio.co.uk/blog/tin-p1-review. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback as this is my first audio review!

qgjsCOH.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #483 of 1,427
@antdroid :
I noticed that you own the LOXJIE P20 Amp.
Can you please test your P1 on it and let me/us know how it sounds?
Thanks! :)

EDIT: Actually it seems like you might not own the P20 anymore, but -IF- you do please report back on how it sounds with the P1.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #484 of 1,427
@antdroid :

I dont have the P20 anymore. I sold it a few months back when I bought the WA7 Fireflies. I also dont currently have the P1. I sent them out on a loaner tour to a few community members.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #486 of 1,427
@antdroid :

EDIT: Actually it seems like you might not own the P20 anymore, but -IF- you do please report back on how it sounds with the P1.
If I could just weigh in here, I used my P1's on the Loxjie P20 for a while but unfortunately I replaced it recently with the JDS Atom as I needed more of an allrounder (nighthawks on the Loxjie were a poor match as expected!). But from memory the P20 gave a slight bump to the P1's low end whilst maintaining the character of the IEMs and the exceptional highs. I was only able to test from the single-ended output however as I don't have a balanced cable for the P1's yet, and of course the magic of the Loxjie is its balanced out.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #487 of 1,427
My experience is similar. The stock cable is a joke. But then I already have a customized silver cable for my iems, so I am not going to use the stock cable anyways.

I actually almost consider selling these due to the weak bass and then I tried the stock foam tips... that's when I actually start getting a good seal. I am not sure if is the shape of my ears, but I can't seems to get a good seal other than the stock foam tips that comes with the tin hifi p1. I've tried Symbio W and Final E.... Final E always give me good fit with other iems... but not with the p1. Any recommendations on ear tips (I have small ear canal btw)?
I'm starting to think my unit may be broken/defective. When I swap buds, it still feels weak on only one iem. If I get a good seal it sounds great, but the right iem has to be "loose" to get equal seal. I tried the stock foam tips and got a better seal this time, but if my comply tips that come tomorrow have issues, I'll have to hope I can somehow get a replacement unit. I really like the sound it produces, it just seems like I have either a broken cable or iem. Sometimes moving the cable around would create better volume in the left iem, but not sure if that's because I got a better fit that wasn't pulling the iem out of my ear or what.
Im not sure if I'm crazy of have a defective pair, and I hope someone else can shed some light.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #488 of 1,427
If I could just weigh in here, I used my P1's on the Loxjie P20 for a while but unfortunately I replaced it recently with the JDS Atom as I needed more of an allrounder (nighthawks on the Loxjie were a poor match as expected!). But from memory the P20 gave a slight bump to the P1's low end whilst maintaining the character of the IEMs and the exceptional highs. I was only able to test from the single-ended output however as I don't have a balanced cable for the P1's yet, and of course the magic of the Loxjie is its balanced out.
Interesting.... So, from everything I've read on the P20; the SE output is not nearly as good as it's balanced out.. Seems like for the cost, the P20 might be just right for the P1?

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #490 of 1,427
Interesting.... So, from everything I've read on the P20; the SE output is not nearly as good as it's balanced out.. Seems like for the cost, the P20 might be just right for the P1?
That was certainly my experience with the P20. The balanced output benefitted both my HD800S and Nighthawks over the SE output. I thoroughly enjoyed the sound from the Tin P1 running through the Loxjie, but if you're someone who worries about technicalities then the P20's output impedance of 47ohms is theoretically a poor match with 20ohm IEMs. But then again, who's to argue if they sound fantastic!?

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #491 of 1,427
Yes the P20 is a lot better out of balanced -- the SE output is rather weak. One thing to note is that the OI of the amp is extremely high -- 47 ohms iirc. That alone can make some headphones sound "different" than their stock sound due to the OI mismatch.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #492 of 1,427
I have seriously considered just running the P1 single ended, and the Atom is my #1 on the list of SE amps...
How do you like the Atom on the P1?
I've been blown away by the Atom over the last few days listening with it; I've gone through many amplifiers and none have sounded as clean as this. As long as you can get over the build then it's a stellar amp and I'd personally take it over the Loxjie P20 for the Tin P1.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #493 of 1,427
I've been blown away by the Atom over the last few days listening with it; I've gone through many amplifiers and none have sounded as clean as this. As long as you can get over the build then it's a stellar amp and I'd personally take it over the Loxjie P20 for the Tin P1.
Okay, thanks so much for this!
I would definitely save some cash with the Atom..
Yeah, I hear it's not the best build quality..
Isn't the case plastic?

One last question (if you don't mind?) I would be amping the output on my Sabaj Da3.
The Da3 is already a DAC/AMP, so do you think there will be any issue with noise due to "double-amping"?
I hear that you just need to set the volume to "line levels" and everything will be okay..
Sorry for the noob questions.. This will be my first amp so I haven't got a clue about amping headphones..

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #494 of 1,427
Okay, thanks so much for this!
I would definitely save some cash with the Atom..
Yeah, I hear it's not the best build quality..
Isn't the case plastic?

One last question (if you don't mind?) I would be amping the output on my Sabaj Da3.
The Da3 is already a DAC/AMP, so do you think there will be any issue with noise due to "double-amping"?
I hear that you just need to set the volume to "line levels" and everything will be okay..
Sorry for the noob questions.. This will be my first amp so I haven't got a clue about amping headphones..
Yeah the Atom's case is plastic, but honestly it's not that bad. The unit's still well constructed, it just doesn't weigh very much.

No problem, that's not a noob question at all! I'm afraid I don't know much about the Sabaj DA3 - does it have a line out mode? But even if not then you shouldn't have any problem "double-amping" them. I've just seen over on Audio Science Review that line level is about 50% volume on the DA3.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #495 of 1,427
Yeah the Atom's case is plastic, but honestly it's not that bad. The unit's still well constructed, it just doesn't weigh very much!

No problem, that's not a noob question at all! I'm afraid I don't know much about the Sabaj DA3 - does it have a line out mode? But even if not then you shouldn't have any problem "double-amping" them. I've just seen over on Audio Science Review that line level is about 50% volume on the DA3.

Cool.
I wasn't too worried about the build quality on the Atom...

The da3 doesn't have any line outs, but I was just over on the Atom Amp forum and they talked about the Da3 quite a bit.
It seems the best thing to do is just crank the Da3 full on into the Atom.
So, I think I'll probably go with the Atom.

Thanks again for all your advice and help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back