Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #361 of 1,427
IDK about powered correctly - but I’m not an engineer, so I’ve always just referred to this as the ‘mystery of power’ - you can have headphones that are “easy to drive” and get plenty loud with good frequency response driven from a smartphone or not very powerful dap - but then you feed them some power and it’s not that they get louder, just much wider, more full, more everything. The oppo pm-3 (the budget planars of their day) are one such example. If you look through that thread you’ll find plenty of comments like ‘boring’ ‘low bass’ ‘over-hyped’ etc. The same type of comments that are trickling in here and will probably increase as more pre-orders get delivered. (I actually got my hand slapped and some posts deleted for going off on folks who were posting in their constantly just to crap on them and pimp other headphones - but I probably deserved it - so now I just ignore those type of comments.) The P1 might never be your thing, but I say all this because I wouldn’t give up on them yet. Burn in is real. Brain burn in is real. And who knows, maybe you’ll eventually get an amp that pairs great with them and then you get to rediscover a headphone and you favorite music all over again.
These IEMs do require a decent bit of power. I'm lucky that the 60mA (per channel) was enough to power these for the most part. I had done a measurement of these as well with ARTA. I used pink noise, 32K FFT, and let it sit for 30 seconds at around 75dB SPL. I'm not using a standard GRAS, or a GRAS coupler clone from Taobao. I'm only using a lav mic I calibrated with Sony MH755. Notice that these are still somewhat recessed in the mids. I was right on my hunch about 2-6K missing a lot of energy, as well.
TIN_P1_Right.PNG

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #362 of 1,427
@nitrokojote - so I have to clarify again that I'm not an engineer/electrician - so I actually don't really have a reference to how much power 60mA is (is there a comparable mW?) - but looking at this graph, I do see the dips in the 2K+ ranges seen in the other graphs (to me that looks like a sibilance control, which I always welcome, but obviously haven't heard them yet). However, looking at the low end of your graph, that sloppyness below 60hz isn't something I was seeing in the other graphs. Yes, they all show the bass roll off, but not volatile like that. To me, that seems like a lack of power issue. That could not be it at all! I have no comment on how other graphs were made or any of the technical aspects of making graphs. But "the bass really tightened up" is a common comment you see when people give headphones more power.

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #363 of 1,427
Just a/b ing between P1 and CA Comet and have to say I’m leaning more towards the P1 to partner QP1r. Prefer the P1 overall, even tho the Comet has a bit more bottom end. Mids and treble are just that bit cleaner or better focused. Both are great iems but P1 is a touch nicer in its overall sound imho.

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #364 of 1,427
Just a/b ing between P1 and CA Comet and have to say I’m leaning more towards the P1 to partner QP1r. Prefer the P1 overall, even tho the Comet has a bit more bottom end. Mids and treble are just that bit cleaner or better focused. Both are great iems but P1 is a touch nicer in its overall sound imho.
and compared to dm6 ?

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #365 of 1,427
Comet’s got more bottom end than the P1? Yikes.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #366 of 1,427
@nitrokojote - so I have to clarify again that I'm not an engineer/electrician - so I actually don't really have a reference to how much power 60mA is (is there a comparable mW?) - but looking at this graph, I do see the dips in the 2K+ ranges seen in the other graphs (to me that looks like a sibilance control, which I always welcome, but obviously haven't heard them yet). However, looking at the low end of your graph, that sloppyness below 60hz isn't something I was seeing in the other graphs. Yes, they all show the bass roll off, but not volatile like that. To me, that seems like a lack of power issue. That could not be it at all! I have no comment on how other graphs were made or any of the technical aspects of making graphs. But "the bass really tightened up" is a common comment you see when people give headphones more power.
Ah crap I messed up what I meant. I meant mW, sorry. Milliwatts. The Sonata HD can output 60 mW per channel with a 32 Ohm load. It's likely around 70-75 ish with the 20 Ohm impedance of the P1. It could be a power issue, when it comes to the bass response. It could also be my measurement rig. And do keep in mind, if you are talking about the volatility below 60 Hertz, it's an aliasing issue with my sound card.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #367 of 1,427
I would say that separation is excellent. Detail is quite good (for Youtube) but I wouldn't call it wide at all. I can hear it moving from front to back but not from wide out left to right, if that makes sense. So I fired up Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin and again the that crazy guitar riff that moves from left to right and back again is really well separated but its not a huge stage ... I dont even know how to compare it but lets call it a medium stage? But it doesnt bother me and doesnt sound or feel like anything is lacking. Robert Plant's Moaning likewise moves nicely from background to foreground and back again. I cant compare it to my Shure 535s because I just sold them to make way for a new pair of Xelentos showing up sometime between tomorrow and Monday. I'll go back and play your track when they arrive for comparisons sake. For fun, I pulled out the Tin T3s and the P1s are more detailed with better layering and clarity (and I thought the T3s sounded better the SE535s). But, let's remember alot of this is so subjective.... Hope this helps a bit.

Interesting... So it sounds like they do have a somewhat different sound stage then..
Well, at least they do have a sound stage though.
It would seem that the P1 is best as a Classic Rock, Jazz, Classical and acoustic IEM.
I wonder if they can be EQ'd to fit into EDM.
No matter, as I'm a huge fan of ALL SORTS of music, so I'm sure the P1 will go well with many of my musical tastes.

Also, Xelentos are supposed to be quite nice, so it will be interesting to hear your comparison.

Thanks again for your write up on the P1.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #368 of 1,427
Interesting... So it sounds like they do have a somewhat different sound stage then..
Well, at least they do have a sound stage though.
It would seem that the P1 is best as a Classic Rock, Jazz, Classical and acoustic IEM.
No matter, as I'm a huge fan of ALL SORTS of music, so I'm sure the P1 will go well with many of my musical tastes.

Also, Xelentos are supposed to be quite nice, so it will be interesting to hear your comparison.

Thanks again for your write up on the P1.
I just spent another 4 hours with the P1s listening Paolo Fresu & Omar Sosa (Jazz Trumpet & Piano). This album is absolutely sublime and the P1s brought out all the subtlety and detail - I heard little details in the background I never heard before. I then moved over to Bill Laswell's AXIOM Funk Project The Funkcronomicron Album - Its a complex recording everyone deserves the opportunity to hear. Hear's a sample: https://cloud.howardolsen.com/UMcpOg The depth of the bass and little details like George Clinton smacking his lips are stunning. Then I moved over to into Derek Trucks Band abum "Songlines" This is an exceptionally well recorded and produced record and I heard all kinds of things I never heard before. I could literally hear and feel the reverberation in the Bongos and could hear the the Foot Pedal into the Bass Drum - so many little percussion details going on all over the place. I now know what one reviewer meant when he said it's like having your favorite and best speakers in your head.

There's been a lot of discussion about the soundstage "Is it wide / or / there's no width" Well I wouldn't call them wide but man would I call these P1s deep. I've listened to a bit of every genre over the last 24 hours and these IEMs have taken everything I've thrown at them. I have a very eclectic musical taste with over 5000 CDs ripped to FLAC and ALAC in my collection and I love smokey female Jazz Vocals just as much at Wynton Marsalis blowing Classical out his Trumpet. I groove on complex Funk arrangements and rock out to hard driving Classic / & blues infused Southern Rock. These P1s are my new favs. I pretty much always use EQ when listening to music and I almost always boost bass & treble and then fiddle with mids and I dont make any apology for it. Its like this I brew my espressos as double & triple shots, I take Scotch 3 fingers over a perfect ice ball, I add extra hot sauce on Madras Indian Cuisine, and I boost EQ for my music. The P1s have responded to everything I gave them and have made me a very happy happy customer. I could go and listen to 20 other sets of IEMs and confuse myself, or find a reason to be disappointed with what I've got - but I'm not going to. I've got these and I'm happy. I will admit, however, that I've got a new set of Xelentos showing up tomorrow or Monday and I do look forward to comparing them. I should also add, that yesterday I listened with a Single Ended cable and it was good, but today I connected a balanced 2.5 and it made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #369 of 1,427
I just spent 4 hours with the P1s listening Paolo Fresu & Omar Sosa (Jazz Trumpet & Piano) It's sublime and the P1s responsded so well to the subtlety and detail. I moved over to Bill Laswell's AXIOM Funk Album it was spectacular. The into Derek Truck Band "Sonlines" Album and I heard all kinds of things I never heard before. I could literally hear and feel the reverberation in the Bongos and the could hear the the Foot Pedal into the Bass Drum so many little percussion details going on all over the place. I now know what one reviewr meant when he said it's like having your favorite and best speakers in your head. There's been a lot of discussion about the soundstage "Is it wide / or / there's no width" Well I wouldnt call them wide but man would I call these P1s deep. I've listened to a bit of every genre over that day and these IEM have taken everything I've thrown at them. I have a very eclectic musical taste and love Smokey female Jazz Vocals just as much at Wynton Marsalis blowing Classic out his Trumpet to Complex Funk arrangements and hard driving Classic / Southern Rock. I've got new favs. I naturally use EQ when listening to music. I almost alway boost bass & Treble and them fiddle with Mids and I dont make any apology for it. I brew my espressos as double shots, Scotch 3 fingers, extra hot on Madras Indan Cuisine, and slightly boosted EQ for my music. The P1s have responded to everything I gave them and have made me a very happy happy customer.

Hahaha! Awesome man! I can't wait till I get mine from MassDrop!
I too EQ and make no apologies about it.
I have no idea why "audiophiles" seem to think they are above EQ.
It's as if they feel EQ is somehow beneath them.
Like if their IEM isn't the "perfect tuning" off the shelf, then it's is worthy of the trash bin rather than EQing.
lol!
Anyway, I have been in music production for decades so I'm like a surgeon with EQ, and I love it..

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #370 of 1,427
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #371 of 1,427
Hahaha! Awesome man! I can't wait till I get mine from MassDrop!
I too EQ and make no apologies about it.
I have no idea why "audiophiles" seem to think they are above EQ.
It's as if they feel EQ is somehow beneath them.
Like if their IEM isn't the "perfect tuning" off the shelf, then it's is worthy of the trash bin rather than EQing.
lol!
Anyway, I have been in music production for decades so I'm like a surgeon with EQ, and I love it..

Yeah I've never understood the 'no eq' argument. Sometimes it seems like people in that camp don't actually enjoy music, but just like analyze it? IDK... I only listen to music for enjoyment so I'm gonna EQ all I want. Especially planars, which always sound so flat and neutral with no eq.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #372 of 1,427
So I had been thinking for a few days that the new Little Bear with balance/dual mono could possible pair well with the p1, and for a pretty good price. For me, adding warmth to planars is a must, and tubes are great for that.

Anyway, of course HBB/BGGAR already had that thought too (going back to 2014, I've known that HBB has basically the same ears as me, it's probably the car audio background.)

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #373 of 1,427
Comet’s got more bottom end than the P1? Yikes.

Yes, but neither of them can do sub bass in any real quantity. Comet is tuned CA house sound and P1 is planar bass - fast and accurate but seems a little rolled off in the sub bass region
Better with a dynamic driver for deep bass - IMR R1Zenith or something like that imho. Although I’m impressed with the Peacock Audio P1 - single 7mm micro dynamic driver that I just received, that has a real fun sound.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #374 of 1,427

I listen to lots of rap and plenty of it drifts into the edm range of bass and speed. I didn't order these with the plan to use them for rap or bassheavy music, but I'll for sure put them through their paces and let you know. My p1's are closing in on 48 hours in customs right now - so I gotta believe I should have them by like Monday.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #375 of 1,427
I listen to lots of rap and plenty of it drifts into the edm range of bass and speed. I didn't order these with the plan to use them for rap or bassheavy music, but I'll for sure put them through their paces and let you know. My p1's are closing in on 48 hours in customs right now - so I gotta believe I should have them by like Monday.

Cool man! I'm definitely interested in your impressions on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back