Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jul 13, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #391 of 1,427
Well... mine didn't even last one day and I traded them away with a friend at work. They are just too small and shallow fitting for my right ear. I need to wear ear muffs over them some times and they would just dislodge.. They also required a lot of fiddling to get the fit right for me and would work loose easily. I use the L size tips of every brand so no options there..

Too bad because I did like the sound..

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #392 of 1,427
Been tip rolling and I’ve realised that I really don’t like what foam tips do to the sound of the P1, however they do improve isolation and up the bass a little more. Settled on Symbio MandarinEs as they are hybrid and give best of silicon and foam. Have to say though, the P1 is SO source dependent and needs so much more ‘juice’ to get it singing imho.

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #393 of 1,427
Same thing here. Been at JFK since 7/3. Linsoul replied to me and said its still in customs and should move this week. They said shipping is DHL Ecommerce but tracking does not show anything with the tracking # provided after entrance to the U.S.

Good info, thanks. The wait gives me more time to convince myself I need another set of planar headphones.

Jul 13, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #394 of 1,427
Got mine today and I didn't listed to them long before deciding they weren't for me. Bit too bright for my tastes and although I like the sound when listening to country, it just doesn't suit me for other genres.
The fit was a bit shallow, but wasn't problematic.

Mine also arrived in the US airport on 7/2 and took a week for it to be transferred to USPS.

Jul 13, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #396 of 1,427
Asdf6, I thought they needed to be used for a bit prior to getting the best sound ? Also needs some decent power (amp)?
You might be right with that, Maybe I'll give them a bit more time, but I'm not sure if they'll change in the way that makes them keepers. They're not bad at all, just not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

They are power hungry, but my FiiO M11 seems to be good enough. Also used with my Schiit stack.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #397 of 1,427
Alright, quick impressions time after 1 day listening time:

Fit:
Quite difficult to get a good, deep seal, but I managed to figure it out. I use the smaller comply tips and put them in deep and then rotate a bit to get a good fit. Also requires some readjustment from time to time, so they are not easy to put in quickly.

Sound:
I'm really digging the sound signature on these, everything is in its right place. Nice and flat throughout the frequency range, but not a boring neutral sound at all. Overall very lively and energetic.

Nice treble sparkle and extension, but not too much and absolutely no sibilance, unless it's a crap recording. Mids are amazing. Lower and upper are so well balanced that nothing gets too hot and you're not missing any type of vocals, male or female. Bass is nice and flat, mid-bass hits pretty decent, but no slam, although I did do the front vent tape mod. It's true that the end of the sub-bass is rolled off, but it's not missing much. If the recording has lots of sub-bass you will hear it and if it does not you will get the right amount.

On soundstage and separation, they are definitely sub-par. Nowhere near the level of a multi-BA or hybrid setup in this regard. Speed is ridiculous and is the real selling point, along with the fantastic sound signature (for my preferences).

Power:
This is where things get interesting. You need lots of power and current to drive these. Like it's no joke, these things are real thirsty. Initially, I was listening in balanced mode on my Opus #1s (high gain) with an output of ~360mW into 32ohms or 3.4Vrms no load. That was not enough power and I had to get near the end of the volume pot, which I've only had to do with my ATH-R70x (470ohm).

I then pulled out an older single ended amp with an output of ~700 mW into 32ohms and was finally able to get enough power and headroom to listen comfortably. Only with this much power was I able to get the full sound of the P1. Sources with not enough power make them sound quite poor. I'd recommend you have a source with a power output of at least 500mW into 32ohms.

Value:
For me these are a no-brainer at $150 for which I got them. Hits a lot of points I look for in the sound signature, speed, comfort, etc. Portability may be limited due to ridiculous power requirement, but I will be happy to use these as my daily drivers. I'm not trying to get into any chifi debates here, but honestly if I had spent $300 on these I would be just as satisfied.

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #398 of 1,427
Completely agree with you thesheik137
The P1s are an outstanding value. I sold my Shures because of them.... didnt need them anymore (and quite frankly, by comparison wasn't happy with them anymore). The detail and speed are stunning. My DAP (M5s) and Desktop DAC (Audio Engine D3) drive them just fine and like you said, where bass has been recorded in , it's fully present in the P1s. For me the fit was perfect from the first insertion. With Comply T400s I can wear them for hours without any irritation. I can even sleep with them without any protrusion or pressure. They may (for me) actually be the most comfortable IEMS I have. I travel a lot and prefer to only carry 1 of everything. I'll take these and 1 other pair on my next flight; I don't think the airline audio jack will be good enought to power them for watching movies, but we'll see.... I'm really not looking for audio fidelity when watching airplane movies, just enough volumee.... so who knows, they may just do it.....

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #402 of 1,427
And how many unique models? :p

If I wasn’t so lazy I’d start a tiny online tip museum, as there are so many nameless generic tips to navigate through to find actual variety.

(My collection is now embarrassingly in the “wow, you could have bought a ___ instead” realm. I suspect many are.. especially with at least as many tips than that photo!)
I'm still waiting:L3000:

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #403 of 1,427
So I had a pre-production pair that was sent before they re-tuned them. Thought I'd take a peak inside. Note: The housings were not easy to get apart, so they are very well built

IMG_20190715_135520.jpg IMG_20190715_135609.jpg IMG_20190715_135638.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #404 of 1,427
So I had a pre-production pair that was sent before they re-tuned them. Thought I'd take a peak inside. Note: The housings were not easy to get apart, so they are very well built

Was it hard to take apart? I now want to take it apart and try to mod it. :) I also have a pre-production unit.

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #405 of 1,427
Was it hard to take apart? I now want to take it apart and try to mod it. :) I also have a pre-production unit.

Definitely not easy. I used the chisel tool on my swiss army knife and it was really hard to get the 2 parts to come apart. If you look at the pictures, you'll see a slight dent just in front of the MMCX connector, this is where I applied pressure to the seam to get them to open. But as it has dented you might need to file it back down to get the 2 pieces to sit flush after modding. Also you'll need to seal them properly with glue as they lose bass if the shell is not tightly sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back