Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jul 8, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #346 of 1,427
As far as I know, Tin Hifi only made a small handful of the initial batch to send to reviewers. That's why some reviewers got it earlier than others. Then after initial comments, they went forward with the production sized batch.

Jul 9, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #347 of 1,427
The truth will be out soon, feel for those 1,500+ who jumped on this over on (Mass)drop. Make no mistake the P1s are schiit with regular equipment. I've tried everything, different tips, covered vents, different cables.
What source are you using / What type of sound were you looking for?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #348 of 1,427
Hey there! It's my first actual post here. I've been rather quiet, sorry about that, but I hope I can make up for it with some impressions! So, the earphones that @antdroid has lent to me has arrived. BGVP DM6 and TIN Audio P1. I’ll be putting the BGVP impressions up in a bit in a different thread (DM6 has all BA, so it’ll go in a different thread)

So, what do I think about the TIN P1 so far? I’m not sure if I like it. It’s got a lot going for it, but it’s got some flaws. We’ll get into that.

First off, what I like about them. It’s the first pair of planar IEMs I have ever tried. Cable has almost no noise whatsoever. There is a chin cinch (I prefer calling them chin sliders, so I’ll refer to them as this), and it can easily be slid up, to reduce any cable noise that may be there. The sound is decent, but it’s not as good as I hoped. The bass has a bit of rolloff, which takes out a lot of the rumble I enjoy with my music. The mid bass appears to be well controlled, and is more of a ‘kick’ rather than a thump. Mids aren’t as recessed as I expected, and I quite appreciate that. These are also very detailed, I was listening to Venetian Snares - My So-Called Life, and I heard a theremin at 2:20 to 2:45! I’ve never heard a theremin in this song before. Quite surprised me. Even my MH755 can’t pick up on small stuff like that. Imaging is also good.

What I don’t like, however, oof. One is comfort. I cannot wear these with certain ear tips or it presses against the outer ear canal in a way that causes discomfort. Fortunately, it doesn’t change the sound signature either way. Now, about the sound. The sub bass rolloff can be a bit of a dealbreaker for some, but can easily be fixed with an EQ. These appear to respond alright to EQ. The upper mids, and lower treble begin to show some trouble. It lacks a lot of energy from 2K to 6K, which is just around the area I’m used to having boosted (MH755, Final E2000 do this). From there, the soundstage is very closed in and congested. It hurts the instrument placement quite a bit. Then, there’s a lot of weirdness from 6.5K to 8.5K, sounds like it dips to 10K, and massive treble extension. The former bit, from 6.5K to 8.5K, introduces sibilance and a considerable amount of pierce. Treble’s a little hot on these pair, despite sounding laid back. It’s a very weird sound signature.

In conclusion, I’ll update with more later on. I might end up liking this sound signature but it’s lacking a lot of what I deem vital for my own listening preferences. Still, planar technology appears to be coming along. I’m excited to see what is in store next!

Edit: There was also something I forgot to add. These require a decent source, otherwise they'll sound very quiet, and have hardly any treble. Keep this in mind! They are very source dependent.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #349 of 1,427
Hey there! It's my first actual post here. I've been rather quiet, sorry about that, but I hope I can make up for it with some impressions! So, the earphones that @antdroid has lent to me has arrived. BGVP DM6 and TIN Audio P1. I’ll be putting the BGVP impressions up in a bit in a different thread (DM6 has all BA, so it’ll go in a different thread)

So, what do I think about the TIN P1 so far? I’m not sure if I like it. It’s got a lot going for it, but it’s got some flaws. We’ll get into that.

First off, what I like about them. It’s the first pair of planar IEMs I have ever tried. Cable has almost no noise whatsoever. There is a chin cinch (I prefer calling them chin sliders, so I’ll refer to them as this), and it can easily be slid up, to reduce any cable noise that may be there. The sound is decent, but it’s not as good as I hoped. The bass has a bit of rolloff, which takes out a lot of the rumble I enjoy with my music. The mid bass appears to be well controlled, and is more of a ‘kick’ rather than a thump. Mids aren’t as recessed as I expected, and I quite appreciate that. These are also very detailed, I was listening to Venetian Snares - My So-Called Life, and I heard a theremin at 2:20 to 2:45! I’ve never heard a theremin in this song before. Quite surprised me. Even my MH755 can’t pick up on small stuff like that. Imaging is also good.

What I don’t like, however, oof. One is comfort. I cannot wear these with certain ear tips or it presses against the outer ear canal in a way that causes discomfort. Fortunately, it doesn’t change the sound signature either way. Now, about the sound. The sub bass rolloff can be a bit of a dealbreaker for some, but can easily be fixed with an EQ. These appear to respond alright to EQ. The upper mids, and lower treble begin to show some trouble. It lacks a lot of energy from 2K to 6K, which is just around the area I’m used to having boosted (MH755, Final E2000 do this). From there, the soundstage is very closed in and congested. It hurts the instrument placement quite a bit. Then, there’s a lot of weirdness from 6.5K to 8.5K, sounds like it dips to 10K, and massive treble extension. The former bit, from 6.5K to 8.5K, introduces sibilance and a considerable amount of pierce. Treble’s a little hot on these pair, despite sounding laid back. It’s a very weird sound signature.

In conclusion, I’ll update with more later on. I might end up liking this sound signature but it’s lacking a lot of what I deem vital for my own listening preferences. Still, planar technology appears to be coming along. I’m excited to see what is in store next!

Edit: There was also something I forgot to add. These require a decent source, otherwise they'll sound very quiet, and have hardly any treble. Keep this in mind! They are very source dependent.

Thanks for sharing! What were you using to drive these? A quick glance at your signature and I’m not seeing anything that can really put out that much power. My P1’s are currently going through customs at JFK so I can’t comment from own experience yet, but there seems to be a growing consensus that these guys need some real juice before they start to really shine. As well as some good burn in time. In my experience, planars (despite impedance or sensitivity) eat power. I have iSine 10 (16ohm) and they can take more power than my ears will allow. I think no matter what power, these will disappoint anyone looking for a ton of bass (I feel this way about all planars, even closed back audezes that dig super deep are still missing a tactility you can get from dynamics). But the other short comings you mentioned I could see getting ironed out with a proper amp.

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #350 of 1,427
Thanks for sharing! What were you using to drive these? A quick glance at your signature and I’m not seeing anything that can really put out that much power. My P1’s are currently going through customs at JFK so I can’t comment from own experience yet, but there seems to be a growing consensus that these guys need some real juice before they start to really shine. As well as some good burn in time. In my experience, planars (despite impedance or sensitivity) eat power. I have iSine 10 (16ohm) and they can take more power than my ears will allow. I think no matter what power, these will disappoint anyone looking for a ton of bass (I feel this way about all planars, even closed back audezes that dig super deep are still missing a tactility you can get from dynamics). But the other short comings you mentioned I could see getting ironed out with a proper amp.
Hey there! I'm using the Hidizs Sonata HD to power these. I'm not sure how I can power them with this, but somehow I end up getting the full FR with them. I have to use half volume, though. You could be correct on the shortcomings. Unfortunately the most powerful device I have at the moment is this small USB-C dongle from Hidizs.There's not any way I can test to see if mine are being powered correctly. Though, if you get yours soon I'd be happy to hear how they fare for you!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #351 of 1,427
Here's my 2 cents:
my P1s arrived today and I've got about 2 hours with them and they are BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, with all the comments that have been made and contradictory reviews, I didnt know what to expect.... I am absolutely blown away by them ... for $160 they are magnificent. First off They fit my ears perfectly. 2nd, yes they require power but on my Shanling M5s if I normally set volume at 22, with the P1s I need to go to 43 out of 100. On the PC with JRiver and an Audioengine D3 I've got the volume at 42. The bass as has been noted has great texture - no it's not thundering but it is full and well defined, and for my 50 year old ears it's PERFECT. So far I have sensed no sibilance. I've tried them with the included SE cable, the Linsoul Balanced cable and a Shure RMCE BT2 Cable. They are magnificent. With the Shure cable I have to run volume between 75% & 90%. I've got a FiiO BTR3 but cant test it yet as it's being replaced by FiiO. I even tried lying down with them, no problem against the back of an airplane seat or pillow when sleeping. Sound wise I'm more than happy with this purchase. The question for me now, is whether or not they'll be my travelling companions. Considerations are what they do to my battery life on my BTR3 & Shanling M5S if the impact isnt huge, they'll come on the road with me, otherwise I'll just enjoy them at home and in the office.

There has been a fair bit of speculation over the bass (tape) mod. I won't I need the Bass mod.... the bass is full and delicious to my ears. I listen to everything from Parliament, PFunk, to Diana Krall to Aerosmith, Classical, Flamenco Guitar, Motown, Jazz Guitar & Stevie Ray Vaughn. One of my favorite ways to test new earphones is with Bob Marley's Legend Album because there are so many layers of sound, multiple layers of percussion and plenty of vocal subtleties. I've Listened to all of the above with these so far and they are awesome.

They seal pretty well but the included tips are garbage, Too Short. I changed them to the Final Audio E Series Silicon and they were OK, but so far the best tips have been the Grey Foams that came with the the T3s (Similar to Comply T400). Again, this is subjective, but for me these tips give the best seal and isolation and comfort. The length of these and the Comply equivalent is 10.5mm which provides a greater contact patch to evenly distribute the pressure of the foam in the ear canal. The included tips are the same size as the the Dekoni Bulletz which are 9mm in length. I dont like them, they irritate my ears after a while. It's amazing the difference 1.5mm makes.

Anyway find YOUR perfect tip and you'll love these IEMs.As many of you, I have come the conclusion that we can read as many reviews and opinions as we like, but at the the end of the day, they're your ears, you have to come to your own conclusion. THe countless reviews can simply give some "Guidance". Anyway for me..... the P1 has been a HIGH VALUE score. I find it to be an outstanding piece of gear!

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #352 of 1,427
Hey there! I'm using the Hidizs Sonata HD to power these. I'm not sure how I can power them with this, but somehow I end up getting the full FR with them. I have to use half volume, though. You could be correct on the shortcomings. Unfortunately the most powerful device I have at the moment is this small USB-C dongle from Hidizs.There's not any way I can test to see if mine are being powered correctly. Though, if you get yours soon I'd be happy to hear how they fare for you!

IDK about powered correctly - but I’m not an engineer, so I’ve always just referred to this as the ‘mystery of power’ - you can have headphones that are “easy to drive” and get plenty loud with good frequency response driven from a smartphone or not very powerful dap - but then you feed them some power and it’s not that they get louder, just much wider, more full, more everything. The oppo pm-3 (the budget planars of their day) are one such example. If you look through that thread you’ll find plenty of comments like ‘boring’ ‘low bass’ ‘over-hyped’ etc. The same type of comments that are trickling in here and will probably increase as more pre-orders get delivered. (I actually got my hand slapped and some posts deleted for going off on folks who were posting in their constantly just to crap on them and pimp other headphones - but I probably deserved it - so now I just ignore those type of comments.) The P1 might never be your thing, but I say all this because I wouldn’t give up on them yet. Burn in is real. Brain burn in is real. And who knows, maybe you’ll eventually get an amp that pairs great with them and then you get to rediscover a headphone and you favorite music all over again.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #353 of 1,427
Here's my 2 cents:
my P1s arrived today and I've got about 2 hours with them and they are BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, with all the comments that have been made and contradictory reviews, I didnt know what to expect.... I am absolutely blown away by them ... for $160 they are magnificent. First off They fit my ears perfectly. 2nd, yes they require power but on my Shanling M5s if I normally set volume at 22, with the P1s I need to go to 43 out of 100. On the PC with JRiver and an Audioengine D3 I've got the volume at 42. The bass as has been noted has great texture - no it's not thundering but it is full and well defined, and for my 50 year old ears it's PERFECT. So far I have sensed no sibilance. I've tried them with the included SE cable, the Linsoul Balanced cable and a Shure RMCE BT2 Cable. They are magnificent. With the Shure cable I have to run volume between 75% & 90%. I've got a FiiO BTR3 but cant test it yet as it's being replaced by FiiO. I even tried lying down with them, no problem against the back of an airplane seat or pillow when sleeping. Sound wise I'm more than happy with this purchase. The question for me now, is whether or not they'll be my travelling companions. Considerations are what they do to my battery life on my BTR3 & Shanling M5S if the impact isnt huge, they'll come on the road with me, otherwise I'll just enjoy them at home and in the office.

There has been a fair bit of speculation over the bass (tape) mod. I won't I need the Bass mod.... the bass is full and delicious to my ears. I listen to everything from Parliament, PFunk, to Diana Krall to Aerosmith, Classical, Flamenco Guitar, Motown, Jazz Guitar & Stevie Ray Vaughn. One of my favorite ways to test new earphones is with Bob Marley's Legend Album because there are so many layers of sound, multiple layers of percussion and plenty of vocal subtleties. I've Listened to all of the above with these so far and they are awesome.

They seal pretty well but the included tips are garbage, Too Short. I changed them to the Final Audio E Series Silicon and they were OK, but so far the best tips have been the Grey Foams that came with the the T3s (Similar to Comply T400). Again, this is subjective, but for me these tips give the best seal and isolation and comfort. The length of these and the Comply equivalent is 10.5mm which provides a greater contact patch to evenly distribute the pressure of the foam in the ear canal. The included tips are the same size as the the Dekoni Bulletz which are 9mm in length. I dont like them, they irritate my ears after a while. It's amazing the difference 1.5mm makes.

Anyway find YOUR perfect tip and you'll love these IEMs.As many of you, I have come the conclusion that we can read as many reviews and opinions as we like, but at the the end of the day, they're your ears, you have to come to your own conclusion. THe countless reviews can simply give some "Guidance". Anyway for me..... the P1 has been a HIGH VALUE score. I find it to be an outstanding piece of gear!

Now we’re talking! Hype levels rising...

And good to know the tape mod wasn’t needed - imo the only reason to rock a tape mod is if it’s going to give you god tier bass levels, like the ex1000.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #354 of 1,427
Now we’re talking! Hype levels rising...

And good to know the tape mod wasn’t needed - imo the only reason to rock a tape mod is if it’s going to give you god tier bass levels, like the ex1000.
They do respond to EQ well. No tape needed

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #355 of 1,427
They do respond to EQ well. No tape needed

Here's my 2 cents:

Excellent! :)
Thanks so much for your impressions.
Can you tell me a bit about the sound stage?
Some say it has very little to none..
Here is a really good track to hear HUGE sound stage.

Please check out this track and let me know how 3D/holographic does it sound?
Thank you again for your impressions. :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #356 of 1,427
Excellent! :)
Thanks so much for your impressions.
Can you tell me a bit about the sound stage?
Some say it has very little to none..
Here is a really good track to hear HUGE sound stage.

Please check out this track and let me know how 3D/holographic does it sound?
Thank you again for your impressions. :)

I would say that separation is excellent. Detail is quite good (for Youtube) but I wouldn't call it wide at all. I can hear it moving from front to back but not from wide out left to right, if that makes sense. So I fired up Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin and again the that crazy guitar riff that moves from left to right and back again is really well separated but its not a huge stage ... I dont even know how to compare it but lets call it a medium stage? But it doesnt bother me and doesnt sound or feel like anything is lacking. Robert Plant's Moaning likewise moves nicely from background to foreground and back again. I cant compare it to my Shure 535s because I just sold them to make way for a new pair of Xelentos showing up sometime between tomorrow and Monday. I'll go back and play your track when they arrive for comparisons sake. For fun, I pulled out the Tin T3s and the P1s are more detailed with better layering and clarity (and I thought the T3s sounded better the SE535s). But, let's remember alot of this is so subjective.... Hope this helps a bit.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #357 of 1,427
IDK about powered correctly - but I’m not an engineer, so I’ve always just referred to this as the ‘mystery of power’ - you can have headphones that are “easy to drive” and get plenty loud with good frequency response driven from a smartphone or not very powerful dap - but then you feed them some power and it’s not that they get louder, just much wider, more full, more everything. The oppo pm-3 (the budget planars of their day) are one such example. If you look through that thread you’ll find plenty of comments like ‘boring’ ‘low bass’ ‘over-hyped’ etc. The same type of comments that are trickling in here and will probably increase as more pre-orders get delivered. (I actually got my hand slapped and some posts deleted for going off on folks who were posting in their constantly just to crap on them and pimp other headphones - but I probably deserved it - so now I just ignore those type of comments.) The P1 might never be your thing, but I say all this because I wouldn’t give up on them yet. Burn in is real. Brain burn in is real. And who knows, maybe you’ll eventually get an amp that pairs great with them and then you get to rediscover a headphone and you favorite music all over again.
That's just audio nervosa related affirmation IMO. "I bought this better amp so these headphones I didn't like before must sound better". Which works if you want to believe in it, but if your first reaction to a headphone is "eh", no amount of burn in and matching is going to objectively change that.

The P1 is rated at 20ohm and 96db/1mw. It's not the easiest thing to drive, but not that difficult either.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #359 of 1,427
Had my P1s now for a few days and have to say, for the price, they aren’t too bad at all. As long as you don’t expect massive bass you should be alright with them. Firstly they need some power, I find best results are coming using r3/Mojo and QP1r on the go or desktop they pair well with Little dot mk.2 (valves warm the sound a bit) or Aune x5s/x7s combo (class A). Soundstage isn’t massive, but otherwise I have no gripes. Sound signature is fairly balanced with nothing really standing out as a problem, just the fact that it’s a planar and ‘fast’, so decay may seem a little faster than say a dynamic or ba driver. To me, brain burn? or just getting used to the sound is happening with these and I seem to be turning to these first at the moment - could be new gear syndrome? I don’t know, but they do seem to be getting better with use.
Edit - for rock and acoustic these are great, but if you like edm or heavily bass driven music they won’t cut it and you’ll be left wondering what you have bought.
For the same price I’d personally choose Peacock Audios P1 for a more bass driven iem

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #360 of 1,427
That's just audio nervosa related affirmation IMO. "I bought this better amp so these headphones I didn't like before must sound better". Which works if you want to believe in it, but if your first reaction to a headphone is "eh", no amount of burn in and matching is going to objectively change that.

The P1 is rated at 20ohm and 96db/1mw. It's not the easiest thing to drive, but not that difficult either.

Thank you for commenting. Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back